General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
How disgusting! Surely if the police have mugshots, and are known to them, they must have an idea which area they "patrol", and be able to arrest them! :evil: Im sure your daughter and boyfriend were very distressed at what happened. Hopefully, it may make them more aware of such a scam, but what a painful way to learn. :(
Thanks for that Cromwell

To give them their dues, the police did seem to be patrolling up and down the strip, but maybe being arrested doesnt discourage them if they are making enough money at it. What really disheartened him (her boyfriend) was that we were in a bar later on and telling some people we had met earlier in the week what had happened, and they seemed to think it was amusing, and kept saying how they "never would have been caught like that" - I think it really knocked the wind out of his sails :(

I told him that it could have happened to anyone, but he felt so silly for really thinking that someone would be giving him something for nothing.

Oh well it was an expensive lesson to learn, and I am posting hoping that others can just be aware of it. You dont want to go around on holiday thinking that everyone is out to dupe you, but on the other hand you need to be aware of these things.

Hope everyone has a lovely holiday :D
Those people who thought it was amusing when you told them should be ashamed of themselves. Making fun of someones misfortune is not funny in the slightest. :x How can they be so sure it could never happen to them? All it takes is a second to let your "guard" down. Im sure it just put a dampner on your daughter, and her boyfriends holiday. Lets hope they both remember this holiday for the RIGHT reasons. :love
:evil: scumbags :evil: as if our holidays dont cost us enough, without being robbed.
My hubby was robbed by a pick pocket on our 1st time abroad and since then he wears a bum bag hidden under his top.

Loulou
Thanks for this advice, all seven of us who are going to Magaluf are 18, so ill be sure to watch out for this.

Its always Gypsies. they robbed us in Torrevieja! i wont get started on them, i could go on for days.

Thanks for the heads up Tootsie, i will be on my guard.

Hope you had a good holiday despite that incident though.

Liam
Yes we had a super holiday, didnt let it spoil anything for us, in fact my husband said it was so strange at the police station, with lookie lookie men wandering in with policemen at each side - wearing handcuffs, smiling and saying "hi" to everyone, not in the least phased by being arrested, obviously! It was an experience!

Another trick we did see was in Arenal one evening when we saw a big "gang" of young Spanish guys (who looked like Chippendales) watching out while an older guy set up one of those "find the lady" tricks. A guy "posed" as a middle aged Dutch tourist and put money down. The next thing we saw a crowd of young Dutch guys were throwing money at them to bet whether they could "find the lady". The police came along and jumped out of their cars to arrest them, but it was too late, they had been warned by the look outs!

So another one is never take part in "find the lady" its also a very old trick, but obviously still works!!!!!!
when we where in Majorca 5 years ago, someone tried that with me and my mum, but my mum knew what was happening, this one asked for 1 pesata, and looked alone, but looked as though she was perfectly capable of snatching my mums purse.
there are always trick artists where ever you go, my boyfriend was scammed (spelling??) a few years ago in tenerife....once its happened to you, you can be sitting having a drink on the front and the same people are out night after night doing it to others, they always seem to have look outs so when the police do arrive, they always seem to get away. very very annoying :evil: :evil:
I have seen so many people being scammed. im 19 but have been on countless numbers of holidays abroad. even this year i witnessed a woman with a scatch card from a tout and she won on it ( duh!) and she was so happy saying oh my god i have won. i stood there in disbelief.

you have to keep your guard up. tenerife is particularly bad for the chinese woman who would steal you shoes if they had a chance!
:lol: another tip if when taking photo's someone asks if they can take one of both of you make sure he ain't no linford christie and doe's a runner with your expensive camera, the other one is for the ladies when carrying a shoulder bag allways carry it on the shouder furthest from the road to prevent moped pillions from snatching them they tend to rip it off at speed
dragging the victim along the road, most of all be aware! :wink:
How horrible toots, I would assure your daughters boyfriend that he isn't a fool he just has a kind heart. It's sad that someone is classed a fool for believing there are kind people around.

Good advice about keeping your bag on the side furthest away from the road Paul. I spent a week in Bulgaria telling my daughter to keep her bad on her shoulder but in front of her, every time I turned round there was the bag round the back of her :evil: I kept explaining why but by the end of the week I was beginning to feel like some evil nag :?

This is the problem when you are on holiday, you are so much more relaxed that a lot of the time you never give this sort of thing much thought. It certainly isn't just one race of people at it either, it doesn't matter where you go you are at risk.
:lol: I know what you mean lesley jane saw a programme on tv last week people stopped in a shopping mall did a survey for two attractive girls and gave all thier banking details for the promise of a 100 quid to be paid into thier accounts gullible or what ! people should be on thier toes at all times not just on holiday if someone comes to your door and asks for glass of water shut the door while you get it and have security chain on when answering the door things like this be safe! :wink:
A similar thing happened to me when I was in Costa Del Sol, I was only 16yrs old and was with my then boyfriend of the same age. Two ladies gave us a flower each, and grabbed hold of us. They was demanding our money and was searching our pockets. It was lucky that we didn't have much money on us, they only got 20euros. We didn't understand at the time what was happening until a spanish lady told us to get away quick :evil:

We then had to push the ladies off us and run away, for the rest of the holiday we avoided that area. It was in the middle of the afternoon and there was lots of people walking by. They still continued to do the same to other people.

It was my first holiday abroad without my parents, but since then I try avoid being stopped by anyone while on holiday.
Tootsie that's awful.

We went to Palma last year with a view of going to see the Cathedral and changed a fair amount of money before we went - the lady in the shop (PIREO in Cala Bona) asked if we were going anywhere nice and we said Palma. She warned us to avoid the flower sellers and if they approached to shout NO and mean it and walk away. If they continued to harass us to shout "NO POLICE".

Unfortunately most of us are too polite to say NO and I appreciated her telling us. As it happened we avoided the cathedral area which was a shame but we didn't want to risk it.

Have never come across anything similar and no problems this year either.
I actually saw the old "three card trick" being played in London a few weeks ago, on the end of a stood-up suitcase, with people crowding round to throw money at the c0nartists running it.

Some folk will never learn.................
it was very like the three card trick that my fella got caught out on, thing was they always have there own people standing there looking like they're handing over money and playing :evil: :evil:
we saw that type of card game in las ramblas in barcelona a few years
ago, i was engrossed watching it until my husband pointed out that a few
of theplayers were obviously in on it :roll:( duh), everytime the police passed they
dispersed and then re gathered later !
:lol: anybody watch package holiday prog on itv last night only reinforces
my warning be careful when on holiday keep your wits about you and not all of the sharks are in the sea :yikes
Thanks for your input everyone, of course you dont want to go on holiday thinking everyone is out to "rip you off" but I think its important if something like this happens to tell other members, so it wont happen to them :D
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.