America/Canada Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in America and Canada
$20 Dollar trick
13 Posts
Excellent news jac! I'm so pleased you tried it and that it worked for you.

luci :wave
I love the $20 trick but I haven't tried it for a while.
Tried it at the Bellagio in November and got a lake view room which should have been an extra $50 a night. Well chuffed. Also tried it at Planet Hollywood and got a remodeled Resort room with a view of the Bellagio fountains. Jackpot!

Funnily enough I tried it at the Imperial Palace and failed miserably. :lol:

does this only work in vegas.how do you go about this ?do you just give them the money and ask about an upgrade?
The suggested method is, when they ask for your photo ID and credit card, hand them this with a $20 note between and ask if they have any complimentary upgrades available.

I wasn't at all keen on this as it's more like a bribe than a tip and used to hold the $20 when I asked. However I handed over the $20 "sandwich" at both the Bellagio and PH and it worked like a charm.

http://www.frontdesktip.com will show you how successful it is. However I believe that those that have been unsuccessful are more unlikely to post there so I would question the percentage of successes.

I know...it really is a bribe, and it's probably not right to do it....on the other hand they won't break any rules set out to them when they do it anyway - they're hardly going to get themselves in trouble like that for $20, and being caught on camera probably.

I have done it a couple of times at Aladdin and it worked a treat.
This year it worked for me at Planet Hollywood but Caesars was a no no as it was full to the brimmish.

They refused a tip but I did go back to the desk and they did offer me a very cheap upgrade on my play they said.

I took it of course.

I won $2,000 and they hand paid me the full amount after they sorted my taxes out which I am now exempt from (thank you CP) and I tried to give the slot boss a tip but she wouldn't take it saying they weren't allowed but I did slip it in her pocket.

John
Well done on the win John. Can you send us all some good vibes? :lol:

Haven't stayed at Caesars as their rates are always quite high but the basic rooms don't look as high end as the likes of Bellagio. How was your room out of curiosity?
Basic room was I suppose good but we had stayed in the Palace Tower before and as we only get the time to get to Vegas once a year there was no question about upgrading.

Roman Tower room which I was not in longer enogh to take a photo was good but the bathroom which had a tv in it was all frosted glass instead of solid walls so a bit weird :?

The bath was actually up a few steps in the bedroom itself and was a normal type bath with jets in it.

TV was in the armoir and there was a large wall safe but no mini bar :shock:

I tried the bed out and it was comfy then looked up to see a full size mirror plaed on the ceiling above the bed :shock:

There is some cosnstruction of the new tower going on behind this tower and I had not flew all those miles to listen to that so we went from the top floor of the Roman Tower to the 28th floor of the Palace Tower with no noise or even sight of the construction unless I looked down at it.

If you don't intend to spend any time in the rooms then don't bother with an upgrade unless you can get it with a tip but for me the lack of the desk and chairs and couch in the Roman Tower meant I couldn't do any work at all on the laptop.

If you have a look below you can click the link to see my report and some photo's from Caesars and beyond.

http://www.icmeleronline.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3786

John
John- re the mirror.
The Las Vegas TV adverts here all have as their catchwords- "What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas". Said with a wink wink. :D
BTW- what is a Chub's Meat Barmcake?
Great report!

I'm itching to start organising our next trip but September is much too far away!
Chubsis a pet name for Ian :shock: and a meat barm cake is a ham roll

John
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.