Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Cavelossim would be an idea around 20 bars/restaurants over a longish stretch and around 12 shacks. Benaulim is also a lovely base
Cavelossim is great, but unfortunately you still get the beach sellers here too - maybe not to the same extent as the North, but they are around.
The beach at Cavelossim is a lot quieter than Baga etc. and Benaulim last year had only a handful of sellars on the days we visited. The other great thing about both Cavelossim and Benaulim is that as soon as you walk 5 mins. passed the shacks you have miles and miles of white sand with not a soul in sight
We were thinking along the same lines, and have opted for Bogmalo in Jan 07. It seems pretty quiet there, but not too far South - just in case we get withdrawals from wooden snake sellers etc. Many resorts in the South seem to be AI perhaps due to the quieter nature of the area. We will post our thoughts on our return.
We stopped at Sao Domingos(Edwins) in Cavelossim this year for 10 days, it is good basic hotel, cost is 1600rps per night, aircon +300. The beach is very good and there are a few sellers on the beach.
Prices in Cavelossim are generally higher than Candolim, especially taxis. The taxi drivers have formed a cartel and have a printed list of prices, for instance Cavelossim to Palolem is 1200rps plus waiting time , from Candolim an extra hour and a half away the drivers charge 1500 for whole day.
Cavelossim is much quieter than Candolim so we found 10 days to be enough before spending 3 weeks in Candolim.
The choice of restaurants is not as large as the North and we thought the quality not quite as high.
We will probably go back again but only for a week.
Totally agree with tightjock Cavellossim or Benaulim get my vote everytime although I'm investigating BetalBatim at the moment for the next holiday anyone been there?

Ta Arl
Thanks for your thoughts, interesting about the taxi drivers in the South, when i was there i used the same guy both holidays and he would take us out all day for less than 1500 rupee's.
I have noted your choices down and will investigate which to choose.

Thanks

John
It is also cheaper to arrange your taxi away from the hotel (or always use the same one) last season it varied from 1100 to 1500 for the day
We had 2 weeks in the south this time , loved it.
stayed at the Hatti Mahal and the Royal Goan Beach
Club,both were great but more to do and see at the
Hatti in Cavalosim,also more places to eat,our best
meals were at the Goan Village and Mikes Place,we
still need our week in Candolim though it keeps calling
us back,best meal there Floyds Hut always good.
ann&john
ps Taxi from south to Candolim 900rps one way
We are going to the South, Varca, in Feb. How far is this from Cavellossim? Is there much around in the way of shacks?
Its maybe 10/15 mins by taxi or if you are feeling energetic you could cycle/walk along the beach :wink:
Hi there, just come back from varca yesterday. My it is very hot. Just a word.. hope you are not staying in the Club Mahindra.
Have just returned from Varca after a fantastic holiday. If you walk right from Varca beach after a 10 minute walk there is a really good shack called Zumbrai at Vell-uddo beach. Very quiet spot with really good cheap food. We spotted dolphins off shore there most days. Also, try the Moon n star restaurant which is a 10 min taxi drive away at Benaulim. Food is great and Sanjay and staff make you feel really welcome. Great firework display on Thursdays as well!!!
We also loved Zumbrai shack great food with
good prices,try the steak with mushroom pepper
sauce or garlic sauce for 90rps. :lol: :lol:
Making notes not tried Zumbrai but will change that it in March :)
seabie, we are staying at the Varca Palms, and I have recently read some bad reviews so it looks as though we will be spending a lot of time on the beach lol
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.