Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Hi got back 10 days ago , the police now "charge" the sellers up to 800rps a month to work on a particular strech of the beach. Plus there is the "tax man" who takes his cut.
This may be one of the reasons there are fewer sellers this year.
The "charge" of course is unofficial.
you can see why the job of a police man in and around the beach resorts is the most sort after job in goa.
the girls and boys are mainly from Karnataka and the reason for the "charge " were told by officials is because thay dont pay any taxes????
george
I have been down zeebop today at Majorda beach,seemed to me that the were the same amount of sellers as previous years.

john
Have heard Zeebops is the best beach shack in the South is this true?
Thanks
The setting is superb but i am not a great fan of the food there.

john
I thought there were lots more sellers on Baga Beach than normal. At one point we counted 6 sellers within 5 minutes offering us an assortment of goods :yikes
It got so bad that by the second week the Oceanic and Silver Sand beach shacks combined had hired a security guard so people didnt get bothered as much.
I got back on Monday 27th November , and to my pleasure there were fewer sellers on the beach and yes the Police are chasing them and taking money off them.
However the Police don't work on Sundays, or so they say, and you couldn't get moved for sellers.
Never saw the ear cleaners but they had been about??
Hardly any sellers on the beach at Candolim, lots more small stalls to & from the beach. There were quite a lot down in Cavelossim a couple of weeks ago. The only ones in Candolim are fruit, papers & ice cream. More massage offers.
I know it sound strange but I miss them.
We will miss them too. We have only ever had any bother once, when a guy woke me up twice in ten minutes to try to sell me sandals. Apart from that we have always found them to be very polite and not too pushy.
the sellers the huts the food the sun the locals
they were all linked to make goa that special place
it was great spending 1/2 hour talking to the young kids & yes at the end they always asked the inevitable question
we missed them this year on candolim but we normaly go in january so there may be more then?
Geoerge
in candolim at the moment, sellers are still around, but there do seem to be less of them

misterc.
All the sellers from Candolim are now at Baga- to any one in Candolim that's missing them come and take them back PLEASE :x
Wev'e had friends over for the last month so I've spent quite a few days on the beach, last week at Bobby's shack down the CSM road the beach was over run with beach sellers. All the regular sellers know me so usually come for a chat then go to sell to the "new white people". At one point every sun bed around us had at least one seller. All you could hear was "no thank you" en masse :evil:
Many of them are so persistant, it's going to spoils peoples holiday if it carries on.
Hi Julie, i couldn't agree more about SOME of the beach sellers spoiling your hols, even though we have been a few times i still dont look forward to the 1st couple of days of the constant '' I show you my sarongs,Tshirts,Hats , Sunglasses ect.ect..'' and when you try to explain we have still got the 3 dozen sarongs we bought off you over the years( which we could have bought a lot cheaper at any market stall ) the message doesn't get through to them, also i think the shack owners should cotton on to the idea that less hassle = more customers and sometimes its hard to remain polite & patient at all times ( oh my God i am starting to sound like my dad) anyway DONT let this put anyone going for the 1st time off , its just me suffering withdrawal symptoms ( due to go back in Feb ) 61 days away but i am not counting....... honest :?
the best thing is just to say a VERY firm NO and then just close your eyes, unfortunatley if you get into conversation with them, they will sit for an hour and then you cant get any peace!! i just say No, not today, not tomorrow and the same with the fruit sellers, a firm no usually does the trick and then you can enjoy your sunbathing in peace....i tell this to my other half, but he will start to chat and then moan cause they wont go away and then i have to tell them to go away!!

the first year they spoiled my holiday, and we nearly didnt come back, but now i know to be very frim, they dont bug me!!

good luck :wink:
Headphones have worked for me in the past. Get on your sunbed and catch up with the BBC World Service - the weather reports from home will be nice! The Sellers will move on to someone they can communicate more easily with.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.