General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Well not too much to be honest. I mainly get my feet in order as I am so lazy with them over the winter. I should do that in spring but I start making a concerted effort around now to get rid of dry skin etc. beforehand. I make sure I have freshly painted toenails before I go too.

I also make sure I do regular exfoliation on my face and get that looking fresher as well. These are all things we should do all year round but I have to hold my hands up to not being so diligent through the colder months.

Other than that it's defuzzing only. I don't get my hair done before a holiday because it's false economy as I have colours and even with drenching it in conditioner every day, with the best will in the world when you are in a hot country your colour will fade double fast. Best to get it done on return.

Exfoliation for body - I don't bother as I am travelling to Turkey and the turkish bath will sort that out better than I ever could!
oh yeah i forgot about defuzzing, i will wax too a few days before, im the same i usually always moisturise though throughout the year and exfoliate now and then but im more on top of my beauty regime in the summer, especially if im goin on holiday i make the extra effort as my body is goin to be on show lol
Every day for two weeks before we go, I exfoliate and apply some Johnsons Holiday Skin or a similar product. Sometime in the week before we go I get my hair done - roots touched up and a good trim. Two days before we go I dye my eyelashes and bleach my arm hair. The day before we go it's a big session in the bathroom - a general de-fuzzing, plucking eyebrows etc and apply more gradual tan product. Finally, file and paint nails half an hour before bed.
I go in 2 weeks and have tarted exfoliating and applying moisturiser daily using Dove holiday skin every few days! I am getting my legs and bikini waxed the day before I go and currently going through the dreaded "growing out" stage :yikes! I am ensuring the hardskin on the feet is kept at bay with a daily scrub and moisturise. The night before I go I will do my nails, paint on the toenails and a good buff of the finger nails. I alo get the hair trimmed a few days before and don't bother with colouring as it goes lighter in the sun anyway!
Holiday skin from 2 weeks before we go with an exfoliator.
I'm getting my hair trimmed the week before we go.
Booking in for acrylic nails, eyebrow waxing and eyelash tinting one or two days before we go. (after school)
Veeting my legs 2 days before we go (so the allergy rash has time to settle)
Good gym session and a very long soak in the bath, then fake tan and paint toenails the night before.
Well this year I'll be getting my hair cut and coloured. Normally I dye my hair myself but for some reason my roots won't cover up with box dyes :que so I'm gonna have to go to hair dressers. Could do with been done now really but waiting til just before hols, two stingy to pay for it twice and got to look nice on hols.

Got a voucher from my parents for my bday to get legs, bikini and underarms waxed. Never had it done before. Just getting the bikini wax (couldn't not shave legs or underarms for a few weeks :yikes ) but if anyone has any tips, please give me them, was laying awake worrying about it last night :bawl

Other than that, exfoliate, paint my nails, eyebrows (thinking of getting them tinted too this year with the voucher from my parents) and moisturise. Oh and use that nivea cellulite cream for 2 weeks before I go, not that it has any effect but makes me feel better.

On top of this diet & gym for months before!!
laura, i had my first bikini wax last year i was so nervous of getting it done but i wanted to get it done for the years before hol but chickend out lol anyway i got it done and honestly it wasnt that bad, the lady was really nice and i could keep my underwear on if i wanted and pull it to where i wanted to go into or take it off, i was also covered with a towle one side whilst the other was been done. as for pain that wasnt as bad as i expected it to be either and i had quite alot taken off!, i read a tip to take paracetomol/ibrophen (spelling) half hour before - paracetomol for the pain and iborophen for the swelling.
i also had my under arms and legs done at the same time and id say the worst out of all three was the area around my ankles!

i went a few times after my hol for the bikini wax but its abit expensive to keep up with so ive built up the courage and now do it myself! when i first went to have it done i said i could never be able to do it to myself thought id end up sitting in the bath trying to soak it off lol, but no im ok, a bit tricky and takes a while but i manage it!
blimey, you lot, I feel a right dobber ! gotta admit, my only priority is defuzzing. As a hairdresser, I'm always the last to get my hair done, so, if any of my hairdreser friends have time to do my roots, well, thats a bonus !
must admit, thats why I'll never join the 'euro chic ' set !
thanks linzi_lou, will book it today, i go on a monday, would you say if i got it done on the friday afternoon before any swelling would have gone on down by then? probs won't be wearing a bikini til the tuesday as we arrive late at night.
Wow! I don't get chance to do any of this!! I'll wax or shave my legs, armpits, etc before I go... but that's about it!! If my hair is in a complete state, then I will get it chopped / coloured - only usually get it cut about 2 or 3 times a year, when I get it re-highlighted as it generally looks ok in between. If I remember, I do my nails on the plane! But generally I'm working til the day before I go, so only have time to stick some clothes in a suitcase and get to the airport! Wish I could be more organised!!!
One advantage of been at Uni, loads of time off to prepare before holidays!! :tup Good job really, as boyf does b****r all
I try and keep skin moisturised all year but do make sure I do it leading up to holidays, I will do the defuzzing a couple of nights before going on holiday, my hair is getting cut and coloured and I also will get my eyebrows , chin and top lip waxed ( getting older is horrible for hair on face) :D the week before I go.

Will start looking after my feet more few weeks before going and will paint my toenails night before going.
Day before the holiday I will for the first time get acrylic nails done :) and my also thinking of booking to get my eyelashes tinted that day as well.

5 weeks today and counting and its Zante here i come :cheers :sun2
hcafc_laura yeah that should be plenty of time, it will probably go down by the next day or day after
Amazing how much we worry about our beach bodies isn't it? I think every woman is the same (unless of course you are "Euro-Chic" there by which you look fabulous at all times with minimal effort). Like to get my feet in shape a few weeks before (after neglecting them all winter) use footscrubs etc then paint toes the night before we go. Have bikini line waxed couple of days before to let the swelling go down, shave other areas night before, also pluck eyebrows. Use a body scrub a few times leading up to the holiday and moisturise to prep skin for the sun. Every year say I'm going to diet/excercise then every year never get round to it, maybe a few desperate sit ups the week before (yes i'm really kidding myself at this point it will make a difference) then admit defeat and treat myself to a pre-holiday drink or 2 :cheers

oh and wasn't that a bar of dairy milk lurking in the back of the fridge....
I always book my waxing for the closest saturday before my holiday, yep the paracetomol/ibuprofen does work.
I also get my hair cut on the same day, I try to get any colouring done when I return as am terrified of green hair (dont fancy having to try the ketchup cure :yikes ).
The night before I go I tint my lashes and brows.
I remove all nail varnish for a week before I go and give myself a pedicure & manicure in the week when I can fit it in.
About 6 weeks prior to the holiday I go on the sunbed once a week ( I know I shouldnt) to get rid of my bluey/whiteness.
Phew! sounds like a military operation :rofl
After all that I need a good holiday. great post am glad its not just me who does all this preparation, I actually enjoy it as it feels like part of my holiday and brings it closer.
hugs la x
I go away aweek on saturday I am getting my colour done tomorrow as its just to bad to leave until next week, I am also getting my eyebrows and eyelashes tinted at the same time. I take extra special care on the defuzzing front when going away as dont want any escaping if you know what i mean :no . I have left it alittle late to be going on the sun bed but i am starting tonight ( have to use them before i go otherwise i burn to a crisp)

I was going to have a french manicure but my nails all broke a few weeks ago, They have grown alittle but not much to write home about so i was also thinking about getting acrylic nails done. Now here comes my questions for those of you that have had it done. Does the nail tech cut my nails down to were they should be before appying the acrylic's?? and also do they feel really false and stop you from doing things like buttons and stuff? How long do they last and how do you get them off??

Thanks
Kerrie
As per above Q from alsbaby.....I don't want acrylic nails as my natural nails are very long and pretty well shaped but someone mentioned having them silk wrapped to strenghten them.....they're a little weak at the moment due to some health problems and have a tendency to split or break.

Can anyone tell me what silk wraps are, how they work and do they affect your own nails ?? :que Also what would I expect to pay to have them done ?
hi la-lapinkfluff , i also enjoy pampering myself/been pamperd just prior to my holiday you know that its not long away when you get your nails done etc its exciting! if ive got the money i love to get a manicure,pedicure and have my hair done on the same day- a real pamper treat for all my hard work at uni and the gym! its great, just sit back and think in a few days ill be by that pool in my bikini with a gorgeous cocktail by my side yay!
think ill defuzz by myself this year so ill prob do that a few days before so ill prob have a pamper night that day do my defuzzing put on a facepack have a nice bubbly bath etc and then get my nails and hair the day before hopefully.
Well just had my hair done and i am made up with it. It was just a block colour of blonde but i have just had my roots done and had foils put in and it looks really nice and very natural now. I am getting my eye brows and eyelashes tinted next week and i have also made the appointment for the acrylic nails to be done but if anyone can help with my questions from my previous post that would be great :tup

Kerrie
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.