Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
been a while since we flew from birmingham, does anyone know if they have a play area for kids. been on website and it doesnt say anything, so should i assume that they dont? :?
They don't! They did have but it was taken and used for further retail outlets.
obviously have their priorties right then- i dont think. do they assume that no children fly!! :evil:
thanks for letting me know.
Hi I dont know if anyone can help but i was wondering what the 'eating' situation was like at BHX these days.
We fly BHX-PMI at 7.05 2 wks today, we have two growing lads (32 & 50!!! :D ) in our party who will want breakfast before we fly (budget flights no food)... i know there is a big restaurant cafeteria area before security at BHX where we would normally eat but i'm just wondering if eating landside may cut it a bit fine with queues thru security etc... i dont recall there being anywhere to get proper cooked breakfasts once you're airside....can any one update me????? Terminal 1 by the way!!!!

Many Thanks
msc
You can get a full cooked breakfast after going through security at the pub, Shakespeare something or other. It opens at 3.30am so you should be OK! Lucky you are going from T1. There is nothing that does a decent cooked breakfast in T2.
How does the park and fly work? Is the off site parking a long way away?

Not sure if I'm too late with this reply but we've used the park and fly a couple of times. The carpark is around 10-15 minutes away, you just unload your luggage and the staff take away your vehicle and park it up. A shuttle bus then takes you to the airport which on both occasions has always been there waiting, the first time was great but the second time it was rather packed and we had to stand up, not too much of a problem though as it is only a short distance.

When you arrive back into Brum you phone the carpark to say that you've arrived and they arrange for the bus to come and pick you up whatever time of day or night. On both occasions the bus has been waiting for us as we came out of the airport.

We are flying from Brum again next year and shall be using the service again :D
I know check in desk opens 3 hours before (or at least that's what i'm led to believe) but friends have said that there are lots of delays going through security checks. Is it best to get to the airport for the opening of check in or 2 hours before as the tickets state?

Help.
we allways get there 3 hours early better safe then sorry yes you have to hang around longer but your on holiday let the party start there or in my case when i lock the front door
we had no probs 2 wks ago, although you now have to take your shoes off and send them through x ray machines, they did take my little daughters drink off her too , but apart from that i didnt notice too big a queue, we got there about 2 hrs 10 mins before flight, its not the busy season now so you should be fine, but its up to you
hi ellie_meg

when you say they took your daughters drink did they take it check and give it back or confiscate it completely??

we fly monday and a beaker of juice or water is never far from my two year olds side, i was under the impression so long as it was checked / tasted it would be ok to take thru?

thanks
msc
hi

no she wasnt allowed to keep it, she was allowed to drink it infront of them but not able to take it through to departures, even after she drank some infront of them, we had medication with us as she had an infection and they checked that and said cos it was prescribed we were allowed to keep that
Just arrived home today. Went through Birmingham last Thursday. Security, we went through at 8.30 am which is fairly busy-ish but it only took 10 minutes to clear all the security procedures in T2. You cannot take any liquids through security except for baby milk. Once through, the area is considered 'sterile' and therefore anything purchased air side can be taken on the plane. We saw plenty of drinks, lipsticks, etc that had been confiscated by security.
Hello all,
I would like to know if its just me or has anybody else missed the turn on the M6 for Birmingham Airport, this new year I did not miss it, like last time I went but there are no signs on the M6 and when you are on the M42 the sign only comes up for it just before the turn off.

Also the bagage at this airport is so slow to come of the plane, again this new years holiday we landed from Lanzarote at 18.52 and got our bags at 19.55 over a hour for them to get them to us, there was a big cheer when they did come out.

I will try to avoid this airport from now on as in my mind it is no more than a second class airport for the second city.

Dave
Hi,

I have merged your post with our existing Birmingham Airport topic.

MarkJ HT Mod
trh, I don't know about the road signs, always travel by taxi but would dispute your comments about Birmingham being a second class airport. True, at present there are many 'improvement' works being carried out that make things difficult in the short term but will improve services in the long term.

I last flew into Birmingham in November and landed at 16.30, which is the start of the busiest couple of hours per day for the airport, I know, I live directly underneath one of the flight paths!. We were sitting at home with a cup of coffee by 18.00 and that is with a 3/4 of an hour journey through the rush hour. The longest I have ever waited for luggage was 35 minutes at around the same time of the late afternoon. For the majority of landings the luggage has already been around the carousel a couple of times before you even get to baggage reclaim.

The airport is clean, the toilets are spotless, there are plenty of outlets for food and drink, shopping I don't care for but there seems to be an adequate supply of retail outlets and there always appears to be enough seats to sit down on. Taking into account you are only in the airport for a couple of hours on departure and about half an hour on arrival, I don't know what else you would want/need!

True it isn't anywhere as lovely as the new terminal at Barcelona say but then Birmingham is a regional airport with far superior facilities than say Coventry, East Midlands, Liverpool, Bristol, Glasgow etc, rather than an international hub and long may it stay that way whilst I'm living on a flight path.
Hello Magster, Perhaps our flight was just unlucky with the bags but the two flights that followed us in to the airport got there's before we did. As for the road signs it seems since the new toll road has been there thats when the the trouble with missing the turn of has happened, but if you travel from the M69 then the M6 as from Leicester thats were they should put up some signs as I know a lot of people who have missed the turn of and ended on the toll road.
Dave
When joining the M42 from the M6 (coming from The North), you get two chances to join the M42. I agree the sign apears all of a sudden and even then it's just a pic of a plane, but theres actually two filters leading to the m42 within a few hundread yards of each other. Just remember once on the slip road to M42 to stay LEFT and this will bring you onto the M42 towards the Airport.
Another thing, if you do miss the M42 turn off then just get off at the next junction and the airport is sign posted from there!
Easyjet to fly from Birmingham

EasyJet is to start flying from Birmingham International Airport with two new routes to Geneva and Grenoble.

A new daily service to Geneva, with fares from £37.98 return including taxes, will start on December 14.

A twice weekly Grenoble flight, with fares from £48.01 return, starts on December 22.

Birmingham is the 13th UK airport to be added to the easyJet operation and takes the total number of airports on the airline's European network to 79.

With permission from Travelmole
Has anyone been through Birmingham in the last week or so and can tell me what restrictions there are if any, on dropping off and picking up?
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.