Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
Hi

We are flying from Birmingham in 3 weeks to Dubai. Was wondering which carpark would be nearest to T1. Is it alot cheaper to book in advance or wait till you arrive?

Thanks Jo
tuppence wrote:
has anyone used the executive lounge at birmingham?
is it worth the money?
can you take newspapers and mags on to the plane with you or are they "complimentary" in the fact that you can read them for free but not take them out of the lounge?

cheers

If it's the Servisair Lounge in T2, you can read the papers/mags for free, but can't take out of the lounge. But, I actually haven't used that lounge. But you can get a 2-3 of hours peace, quiet and relaxing in the lounge and depending what time your flight is, have a few drinks. But for food wise, it'll only be snacks, like crisps, nuts, slices of cake, biscuits etc.
Which car park is nearest to T1 and is it alot more expensive to pay when you arrive than to pre book.

Jo
lizyjob, Hi Jo

The multi storey car park is the nearest, within walking distance of the terminals.
Just google Birmingham airport and look up car parking, you can then pre-book which will almost certainly be cheaper than paying on arrival.
Hope this helps.
my elderly parents are arriving in digbeth coach station next week and need to get to birmingham airport , how long will it take in a taxi and how much will it cost? thanks
Zeusy
Its about 7 miles from the coach staion to the airport. Depending on time of day its between 20 mins and 1 hr. The route is straight down the A45 Coverntry road. Dont use taxi's but I guess £10-£15. There are trains to the airport but unfortunatly they go from New Street staition which is about 1/2 mile away up a hill so if parents are elderly maybe not a good idea.
Most national express routes go to birmingham airport before or after they go to digbeth coach station- its worth checking.
I noticed that a few flights due to land in Birmingham today have been diverted and lots have been delayed. I'm presuming this is because of the weather. Does anyone have any up to date info on the situation there please. My niece is due to land there from Egypt tomorrow and was wondering if her flight might be affected. Thanks
shirley h,

Many airports around the country are having problems today and flights diverting to those that can accept them. It's not easy keeping an airport open in these conditions, but we've had nearly a weeks notice and still it causes big problems and parts of the country grinding to a holt!! I was in northern Finland before christmas and 3ft of snow wasn't a problem up there! I know they have the equipment to deal with that whereas we don't, but you'd think the major international airports such as Heathrow would be better catered for. Anyway, all I can suggest is keep a lookout on Birmingham Airports website for up to date information as it depends on the conditions over the next 24 hours.

Darren
thanks for the replies, checking out national express option thanks for the idea.
Does anyone know when the new International Pier is due to open at Birmingham Airport?
trusse03,

The last bit of major construction (steel-work) was completed in mid-December (started June 2008). I can't find an actual completion date though. I'd imagine it's sometime this summer. The decision on the 405m runway extension is due anytime as well.

Darren
Just a word of advice about this hotel which is near BHX airport.

I stayed here the other night and at Breakfast there was a large bowl of strawberry's, all turning a less than delightful shade of blue/green with a side order of fur. The state of the fruit was such, this hadn't happend overnight or in the hour or 2 of breakfast.

Very dissapointing standards for a Hilton hotel. I wouldn't normally say anything but I have had room service issues with food before at this hotel. Unfortunately I do not have a choice in hotels I stay at whilst on business.
OK, travelled thru Birmingham Airport recently, the new international pier opens Winter 2009 according to the posters
Hi there was wondering if anyone could tell me if there is a premium check in desk for FC :tup
dinner-lady,

As Far As I Know There Is A Premium Counter, It Will Be For Thomson and First Choice

Gower
It's been a long time coming, but Solihull Council have finally given approval for BHX to extend it's runway by 405m. This extension, an increase from 2,599m to 3,004m, will enable larger jets to fly non-stop to long-haul destinations. For example it'll spell the end of having to drop in at Manchester for fuel and use of their longer runways when flying to Cancun (Thomson Airways). Mitigation for the runway extension includes limits on night flights, noise control, public transport plans and a 20-year annual £10,000 tree planting scheme.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/Dazbo5/Birmingham-Runway08.jpg
A view down BHX runway 18 with a My Travel A320 ready to depart.
The extension will be where I was stood taking that photo; I hope they
replace the bench so you can sit and watch aircraft!

Darren
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.