Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
Bitez 2010
11 Posts
Part 2 (its not letting me write it all in 1 post???)

The exchange rate wasn't too good when we were there. We got 2.20 at the Bank, and 2.25 at the jewellers on the beachfront.

Prices have gone up...

The price of dishes varied between;
Chicken dishes - 14 lira to 26 lira
Steak - 24 lira - 34 Lira
Lamb Shish - 18.50 Lira - 29 Lira
Beer - majority were charging 5 Lira, but some 6 Lira.
Soft drinks 2.5 Lira (round the back roads) to 4.5 Lira
Vodka - 6 Lira - 8 Lira (mostly 8 Lira)
Some of the restaurants are giving smaller portions and aren't giving anything away/discount.
The Mayor of Bitez had stopped all the cushions/hammocks/swings etc being on the beach - but we went to a meeting and this has been over turned. So they will be back! Thats one of the charms of Bitez...
Hi.

Thank you for the report. We're off to the Meis in Bitez for the first time in a couple of weeks - be nice to have a break from this sweltering British summer :rofl

I don't know the area at all, so do you have any tips/recommendations please? We like Turkish food and try to seek out the good quality/value restaurants (maybe in the back streets) rather than those with dancing waiters! It's also become a tradition for us to find the bar with the cheapest Efes in the resort, although I gather prices may be up this year generally?

Cheers.

Some of my Turkey pictures:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/randomphoto/sets/
Part 3

All in all we had a wonderful time, the weather was beautiful - not one cloud in the 10 days we were there!!! The nights had even started to warm up towards the end of the holiday.

Gumbet is still looking like a bombsite. The main drag is closed off - rubble and dust EVERYWHERE! Most of the people staying around Gumbet, are being shipped into Bitez.

Bodrum Airport - are taking water and liquids off you, after you go through passport control. Also, on entrance and exit, they only have 1 duty free shop now - so no competion, and cigarettes are much more expensive.

Roll on our next visit...! :D
Hi Random!

You can't beat the Pedasa for price!!! Cheapest food and drink... and Nuri throws in a free hand/shoulder massage. Lovely staff... open 24 hours.

If you find a cheaper place in Bitez, ill refund the difference lol :tup
OK, we'll make sure to check out the Pedasa - is it easy to find?

Regarding Bodrum airport prices, does that mean that it's better to buy cigarettes, sprits etc. in the UK or on the plane rather than on arrival?

Shame they've introduced the liquid ban. Is water is expensive in the airport as well?

Cheers.
Kadi, Thanks for the update - even more sorry to be missing out this year! So sorry to hear about Vedat's father but I think he had been unwell for some time - or am I mistaken? (It may have been Safak's father I was thinking about).

Do you think that Bitez is going to become an extension of Gumbet? It seems to be changing it's character - but then that's life!!

Take care

Prawn
I do hope Bitez doesn't become an extension of Gumbet, the two resorts are so different and should stay that way.
I agree, Kedi - Bitez is like a little peaceful haven away from the frenetic crowds! Ah, well, roll on 2011!!!
I was talking to a guy last week who lives in Bitez and he tells me the place has really changed this year. All the years of overpriced drinks and meals has caught up with them and Bitez is almost empty, also boat trips were to be had for as little as 15TL.

Can this really be true?
I heard someone say it was very quiet too. Maybe they will learn and stop putting the prices up if people don't visit as much.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.