Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
I'm afraid the only way you can really get to see and appreciate the blue lagoon is by doing the paragliding off Mount Bagadag. This was one of the reasons I decided to do it a couple of years ago.

I was disappointed when I first saw the lagoon, its not very blue and you can't really see it when you are on the ground at any of the beaches.

You have to get highup like from near Kaya Koy walking or horse riding routes.

Olu Deniz was also impressive when we visited it via the sea on a gulet cruise one year. It looked beautiful from out at sea.

Once you have seen it from one of these positions, it stays in your memory and you always see it that way.
We have just returned from Hisaronu and went down to Olu three times, we were told to go to Sugar Beach, which we did and to be quite honest didnt stay as it was very disappointing. We were told by the guy who ran the bar at our apartments that that part of the Lagoon isnt very clean as rubbish is pumped into the water.

We went to the main part of the Blue Lagoon last year and thought that was over rated. You are far better getting going on the main beach - although shingle (you can buy beach shoes which I would recommend) is stunning - beware as the sea can be quite choppy.

I agree about the comments that the best way to see the Blue Lagoon is by paragliding, my husband did it this year and we have some breathtaking photos that he took himself - better than buying a postcard only a little more expensive!.
If anyone does go to Sugar beach at this time of year (July, August) It's best not to go on a Saturday or Sunday. We went twice once on a weekday and once on the weekend and had a much better time on the weekday.

It actually isn't that big and it was over run at the weekend. Many people come but will not pay for sunbeds and parasols and just plonk themselves down on a couple of straw roll-ups and stick a parasol in the sand that they have brought with and it all becomes a bit chaotic.

The Manager of the beach trys to control this a little by asking them to move to the sides of the beach so as not to restrict access getting in and out of the water and so that little ones can play there, but this wasn't very successful at all.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.