Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
Hi there,

If it makes you feel easier getting a letter from your doctors, and it will put your mind at ease, then just take a letter............That way, it can be saved for future holidays, so no more worrying. Eh?

Places to go in Bodrum.....Oh wow, Bodrum itself hasn't got a beach to speak of, but, the Dolmus (little bus) runs from the main bus station to anywhere on the Peninsula where you can find beaches, waterparks, coves, bays, bars, cafes and restaurants to suit all tastes.

If you go to Ortakent, the beach there is superb, and there is a water park there. Bars on the beach and very beautiful

Bitez has lots of sunbeds on the beach, which you can lie on all day, free of charge, providing you buy a drink from the bars behind.Narrow beach here, but watersports available. Lovely places to grab a bite also.

Gumbet, a livlier place, been massively refurbed over the winter, but for a good night out, and a decent beach area, you will do A ok here.

Turgutreis is a lively place also, but, has a welcoming feel to it, fabulous Saturday market, lovely harbour, and superb bars too.

Torba is a quiet tranquil town, (we are there in a few days....yippee) gorgeous bay, shingle beach and lots of little restaurants.

So, you will be spoiled for choice.

Bodrum itself is a lively resort, shops, cafes, bars, nightclubs, so again lots of places to look at. Harbour to take boat trips, ferry also across to Kos for the day, (Take passport) if you fancy a change.(Prices are set for the ferry to Kos)
The marina is wonderful, a fabulous area to sit and watch the world go by. Good restaurants here to try, and prices cheaper at this end compared to Castle/Harbour area. La Jollas' (may have spelled it wrong) was one place we visited, and the food there was super, reasonable prices also.

To buy international branded drinks anywhere in Turkey is expensive. (High taxes) Smirnoff and Coke can set you back 15 lira (£6) but a pint of efes can vary from 4 to 6 lira per pint. A coffee a couple of lira...this is in Bodrum. In the other places things will be cheaper. Turgutreis, each day after a walk out into the town, we would stop and have a large efes, a coffee, a Turkish Tea and a Fanta, 11 lira (£4.30 ish) but we always go AI, so prices aren't something I bother looking at, I am sure others will put you right on that though. It can be as cheap or expensive as you want it to be, and if you are staying at a villa, then the local markets will provide you with fruit and veg, the fruit is sensational and priced very cheaply too. Buy a couple bottles of spirits from Duty Free to have for a nightcap, that way you will save money. Water very very cheap, as is bread.

I hope this helps a little, and, Have a wonderful honeymoon, and many congratulations.

Trifle. x
hello

we went to gumbet last year, and the hubby was on tramadol, we had to get a letter from the doctor, the airline thomas cook advised it could save problems when we got to the airports.
make sure you take enough with you, my hubby ran out,and we had to go to a doctor with the letter and a copy of his scrips, then we were taken to the hospital to pick the tramadol up, then they took us back to our hotel.
i did have to show the doctors letter in the uk as well as bodrum airports.

marnie x
thanks for all this info - just another question do i need any mosquito stuff or injections? everywhere seems to have different advice and i'm confused.

cheers

x
L.Hillam,

You may find the following post useful; Mosquito's.

Darren
I just take the copy from my scrip with me, never had any problems either coming or going.
It's always a good idea to take a copy of any prescriptions anyway just in case you ever ned to get any emergency medical supplies.

There can be mosquitoes but they aren't a huge problem, you cn buy mozzie repellent locally; Johnson's Off! and Sinkov are good brands, you can also use lemon cologne to deter tham as they don;t like the smell!

There are no compulsary vaccinations, some people have tentenus or Hep A, which are recommended for all foreign travel but it is up to you whether you want to have them or not.

You can go to any of the Turkish baths together with your husband, that isn't a problem. Triflebum has given you a good idea of what is around.

A couple of nice restaurants in Bodrum are Ortantik restaurnt for really good, resonable priced Turkish food and another of my favourites Yag Hane, along the harbour front is beautiful and looks very swish but is actually very reasonable.

Have a lovely honeymoon, I lived in Bodrum and got married there! I'm sure you will love it there.

Kedi
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.