Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
Booked
5 Posts
Hi, I assume that you are self catering, supermarkets, cereals and meat are expensive. Bread, milk(we buy Pinar milk in the green and white carton, sut in Turkish) and beer are cheap, Efes being the popular brew. You can get breakfasts really cheap. Evening meals, look for restaurants doing Set Menu deals, the courses can be swapped about, good value for money. Failing this, look for places where the Turkish go ie ALO24 or Lokantas. Most shops do money exchange shop around for best rate or ask your fellow holidaymakers.

Go to Icmeler market on a wednesday and always haggle over price, if not happy then walk away, they will come after you with a better price. Steer well clear of stalls selling ten t-shirts for £10 as they are rubbish. Pay a little more for less quantity. Jewellers, again, haggle over the price of the item you are buying.

Tips, make the time to speak to the locals, even if it is the guy touting outside a restaurant or bar, it is these people who will make your holiday more pleasureable and they won't forget you.

Les
And don't forget plenty of change for the loo if your visiting tourist areas, chrge is usuall .50TL and be expected for just a hole in the floor :yikes I got a bit of a shock during my first visit to one. :D
Thanks for advice .....we are well used to paying for toilets as we usually go to Bulgaria
Mind you my daughter is a bit shocked at the hole in the ground comment :yikes
I'm surprised about the hole in the ground comment. We've never seen one in Turkey. Not sure though if you mean public toilets as opposed to bar/restaurant ones?
We have very rarely had the need to use a public toilet, and when we have they have been OK.
We actually commented on our recent holiday how clean they were in practically every place where we used them. So going by Turunc, and I assume it's probably the same in most tourist resorts I would say no need to be concerned.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.