Spain - Canary Islands - Lanzarote Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Lanzarote.
There generally is no way to fully protect yourself in these cases other than to ask lots of questions of the owner...and carry a credit card as backup.

Questions to ask...
Do you have a local support service to whom we turn if we have problems gaining access or problems during our stay ?
Who cleans the accommodation and changes linen and how often ?
Can I contact you by mobile or email during our stay if we encounter problems ?
How long have you been renting this accommodation out and to how many visitors ?

Make sure you have a UK home address for the owner and send your first payment by cheque to that address. Don't use bank transfer unless you have that address and have used it for your first payment.

A good owner will be happy to answer all your questions and give you advice over and above. If they hesitate at all then be wary.
Thanks Pollensa, emailed the owner and asked some questions,explained my reasons why,due to so many airlines,agents etc going bust over the last couple of years and paying by cash rather than a credit card.I do hope I didnt offend them,The company who advertise the Villa are very reputable from what I have read,but payment is made direct to owner.
Boots
I've rented villas a few times from t'internet direct from the owner, never had a problem and never heard of anyone having a problem. Saved a few quid into the bargain.
I do have the uk owners address,tel no bank details and a booking form has been e mailed to me.I feel a little bit silly for being for being so wary,but its quite a lot of money and as its at new year wouldn't wanna find myself stuck and unable to find anything even with a credit card!
I think if you want to make the savings you have to just take a deep breath and do it. The other option is to book through a villa company like James Villas but you will pay a lot more and possibly end up in a dump. One of the advantages of booking with the owner is that it's their holiday home and will generally be better looked after and better equipped than one from a villa company. Of the villas you've looked at, were there any reviews? That's usually a good indication that everything is OK. If you want a coule of recommendations then you could PM me for details of villas I've used.
I think if you want to make the savings you have to just take a deep breath and do it. The other option is to book through a villa company like James Villas but you will pay a lot more and possibly end up in a dump. One of the advantages of booking with the owner is that it's their holiday home and will generally be better looked after and better equipped than one from a villa company.

Yes, I agree entirely. We've stopped booking packages and always go roll-your-own, since 2003. However, keep in mind that if an owner takes offence at any questions you put to them then they are most likely to also take offence if you complain in the event of a problem. A good owner will help you through the process and support you during it. Remember, you're the one with the money which they want from you. Make them work to get it.
For example, I've had owners most reluctant to reveal exactly where their apartment/villa was located (which street). The reasons... it's located on a very steep hill, or a long distance from town and beach, or next to the motorway, etc. Don't rely completely on supplied photos. I've seen examples of... this is a view of the beach, or the pool, or the mountains... but it was not taken from the apartment, which looks onto the apartment opposite. If you don't know the location well then ask for a detailed description.
If they ask for a "cleaning deposit" then ask exactly what that is for and under what conditions it will be returned.
Thanks everyone for the advice.Its by no means cheap,have seen cheaper with James Villas however it is luxury quality acomadation and has all the extra luxury facilities I require as its a special one of treat! ticks the right boxes for ever member of the family. Am happy with the price,its comparable to other similar types of villas, and have asked questions, done some research and feel reassured now.
Am used to booking my flights and hotel separate,but always pay on check out or, by card,i suppose when you compare the price of a villa to a aparthotel or similar it is fantastic value for money,and who knows maybe we will end up repeat bookers!!
Boots
Hi boots, try not to worry too much, although i think that being cautious and thinking "what if" is a natural and sensible way of thinking. i have booked villas in PB for the last 5 years and stayed in different villas each time , all were exceptional and well furnished and equipped, i just like staying somewhere different and there is a massive choice, i have used ownersdirect website mainly but do look at other villa websites and many villas are advertised on more than one site.

although you pay quite a lot for top notch villas , you get a lot in return and have the space and privacy to eat in aswell which saves money , especially if there is a few of you.
are you also hiring a car? there is a good thread on here with recommendations and its a cost effective way od getting to and from the airport and around during the stay.

if there are any other questions or worries you have feel free to contact me and i'll try to help.
Thanks Andy66,we haven't hired a car before, but have decided to this year as it will be more cost effective for airport transfers,and would like to do a few days out and see some of the island.Will be checking the car hire thread out and places to visit,resturants etc over the long wknd!
Boots
I always use autoreisen, they're always the cheapest and have all the necessary insurances included, including CDW, which other companies can be vague about. They also have a desk in the luggage hall so I go to the desk while my wife and son get the cases and usually I have the keys in my hand beofre the cases come out.

http://www.arcarhire.com/car-hire/car-hire.php
just like robert i've found the same with autoreisen, probably the cheapest, always had reliable cars, never had to wait too long, easy return after hire. also the roads are very good and driving round PB is easy.
There's a lot of good feedback about them, like that they are at the airport too.Will more than likely book with them.
Thanks Boots
Hi Boots

We have been booking villas direct with owners for a number of years without problem. I'm sure everything will run smoothly for you.
Try looking at http://www.cabreramedina.com/cabrera_en.htm for your car hire. We use them every year and find them to be the cheapest for the group of car we want, with no hidden extras and a quick pickup from the aiport.
We normally use autoreisen, infact used them a few weeks ago and cheaper than Cabrea Medina - but when I compared the prices for our visit from 26/12 - 6/1 they were dearer. Car booked with Cabrea.
Pluscars seem to have the best price on the size car we want,not much feedback about them though?
I use Plus Cars fairly often and they are great with brand new cars. The rep waits for you in the arrivals hall and directs you to the office in the car park on the departure level. They also don't charge in 24 hour blocks so you can pick up a car on a morning and not have to return the car until the time you are ready on your departure so that could be in the evening and no extra rental is charged. Most of the companies charge in 24 hour blocks and sometime you can end up paying for a whole day's rental just for an extra few hours. I can fully recommend Plus Cars and they also have loads of offices all over the islands too.
Pluscars are very vague about their insurance and having checked their prices are slightly dearer than Autoreisen for the same car at the same time we are going.
I have just checked Pluscars for our September holiday and they work out €100 more (for similar car) than Cabrera Medina over the 16 days we want hire for.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.