Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Two excllent pieces of travel writing by Kevin Rushby are
"Chasing the Mountain of Life" Across India on theTrail of theKoh-i Noor Diamond and "Children of Kali" Through India in search of Bandits, the Thug Cult and the British Raj The first one, in particular gives a facinating insight into the past and present diamond trade in India. They are both available in paperback and well worth a read Alan
Yes Ive read Indian Summer , another good read do open it up soon :)
Just tried to order a shed load from amazon...opted for express delivery but they said dispatch date would be 20th March to 2rd April :shock:
And according to the website they were all in stock :?:
Anyone who runs out of reading staying in the Candolim area of Goa there is a little book shop just off the main road by the Kamat, just past the Luma supermarket on the main Calungute/Candolim road called Rod's enterprises there you will pick up brand new books (even Shantaram) at a fraction of the cost in the UK he usually carries enough books to keep my interest and can thoroughly recommend him
I too have read the book with the Indian kid winning the lottery but cant for the life of me remember the title.
Fiona this is a great thread!!!!
Been after `Goa Freaks` by Cleo Odzer for a while now if anybody has a copy or could point me in the right direction I would be well chuffed :wink:
well lassigirl
this has to be one of the fastest growing threads- you must be pleased :D
Feel the vibe - amazon has a copy of Goa freaks for :D £79.27 :o surely and error!!
cherrs Lyn x
That`s what I thought Lyn :shock: I reckon I should be able to buy one of those page falling out copies when I get to Goa in a few weeks, thanks for the info :)
Feel the Vibe try Rods Enterprise, if he hasn't got a copy but can get one he will, alongside Kamat, main Calungute/Candolim road and the pages won't be falling out when you buy it!!!
cheers Lyn x
Ive been keeping my eye out for 'Goa Freaks', I havent seen it anywhere cheaper than £18.0. While I was in Goa I totally forgot to look for it.
Shantaram is a definate must as others have stated before. It's one of those books that is really hard to put down and raelly readable time and time again.

Others I have read / in process of reading are:-
Monsoon Diares by Shoba Narayan (some nice Indian Recipies in there as well).
A Suitable Boy by Vikram Seth (was recommended to me and is quite good).
The Speech of Angels and Peacocks Dancing both by Sharon Maas. She has also written Of Marriageable Age which I am trying to get my hands on at the moment.

Am sure there are a couple more but the titles / authors but can't think of them right now.

MDH
Having just read the Thread progress and poverty, I would highly recommend reading The Great Indian Middle Class by pavan k varma.
It explained a lot to me . Think of all the money the Taj Mahal takes and then take a look at Agra and the pollution and rubbish there, the problem is all over India not just Goa. Maybe the locals should stop throwing their rubbish out of train windows, and this comes from the affulent, the poor dont have any!
I soak up all I can get hold of before I go anywhere for a hoiliday and always try to learn some language too...I agree that you should do some reasearch of the cultures ect and I think it makes your time away more enjoyable...
I buy a book to read when i get there but am too busy looking about to actually read it... to nosey by far!
Great thread!!!

Lassigirl, thanks for that tip, I've just ordered The Peacock Throne so it should be with me shortly!

Like the other folks on here I also recommend Shantaram (I've read it 3 times!), Are You Experienced?, Karma Cola and Monsoon Diaries.

I also enjoyed Holy Cow (Sarah MacDonald) , Chasing The Monsoon (Alexander Frater) and Midnight's Children (Salman Rushdie). I also recommend anything by William Dalrymple (does anybody remember his superb India travelogue series on BBC2?) including The Age of Kali and City of Djinns.

My boyfriend loved Maximum City, which I haven't started yet as I've got Arundhati Roy's God Of Small Things on the go in prepartion for my trip to Kerala in December.
Lassigirl & Goanluv: it's "Q & A" by Vikas Swarup.

The best book i have ever read about India (it's set in Bombay, not Goa) is "A Fine Balance" by Rohinton Mistry.

I am currently struggling through "Sacred Games" by Vikram Chandra - a third of the way through the 900 pages and i've yet to see the point of it. I suppose it's because India is such a big country that so many books about it go on for so long!
thanks Philip - have you read Shantaram??? If not I suspect that will come out on top once you have
cheers Lyn x
Holy Cow and Indian Summer - both good and easy reads. At present half way through Shantaram which I think is a excellent book and find it hard to put down - cannot wait for the film to come out :D
Thanks phil
I was tearing my hair out trying to remember :x
I have copies of A Fine Balance and Shantaram and am ashamed to say havent read them :shock: , but after reading what you all say about them they are ready to take to Goa soon.
I am just starting Vikram Chandras Love and Longing in Bombay (In 5 haunting tales, he paints a remarkable picture of Bombay, its ghosts, its passions, its feuds, its mysteries, while exploring timeless questions of human spirit) Sounds good and only 250 pages :D

Onto food-----Curries & Bugles by Jennifer Brennan, A memoir cookbook of the British Raj.
Jennifers family were part of the Raj and this book is about the food people and places.

I am really enjoying all your suggestions and realising there is so much more I must read.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.