Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
Bottles water
10 Posts
You are advised to only drink bottled water out there, it is true that various brand of water have different mineral content however that is true of all brands in all countries.

Take a look at this guide and compare the various values in water content from different countries and brands, note even the well known brands have big variations http://www.mineralwaters.org/index.php?func=country the higher the Total Dissolved Solids (TDS) the higher the mineral content.

Here are some examples of well know brands and their TDS, you would not even think twice about not drinking them

Perrier, France TDS = 475

San Pellegrino, Italy TDS = 1109

Highland Spring, UK = 158

Stretton Hills, UK = 226

You will be fine drinking bottled water, if you are sweating and losing body fluid it is also a good idea to drink those sports drinks such as Lucozade Sport, Gatorade, Powerade etc as water alone contains no carbohydrate or electrolytes, this will explain -
http://www.brianmac.co.uk/drinks.htm

Graham
Well I didnt know that Graham . very interesting :tup
Instead of drinking bottled water, we tend to drink 7up or Coke if we are thirsty, which you often are out there due to the heat, it is useful for rehydration if you ahve a tummy upset and the conditions it is produced under are normally sterile, so hopefully no chance of bugs, bacteria etc.
Hmm that's given me something to think about . I'm aware of the benefits in drinking sprite when you have an upset tummy but never thought to use it instead of bottled water thoughout the day. May act as a prevention too.
As a diver, we tend to get dehydrated even more due to the compressed air we are taking in and so I drink loads and loads of water but on the boat, we are also provided with Sprite and Coke as we are told that these help with upset stomachs. The boat boys also told us that if we drink too much water without taking in another liquid such as sprite or even coffee, we can also get uspet stomachs. We all know there is nowt worse than a dose of pharoah's. (I was ill most of the last holiday)

I find it very difficult to drink fizzy pop..too gassy...but a few swills of Sprite are quite refreshing..and I suppose if it is going to help avoid the pharoahs...I could force myself. This last holiday was the first one out of all of them I have ever even been vaguely ill. It was not nice. :(
Thanks for your replies guys, I did'nt realise the water differed so much in mineral content. Also great advice about drink coke and sprite, really don't fancy a funny tummy :(
My partner is air crew and flys all over the world. She told me that the crew drink Coke if they have an upset stomach. You've seen what coke does to a penny overnight, well the belief is that the Coke actually cleanses your stomach. I tried it during a tummy upset last year on holiday and to my amazement it worked. If you can leave the Coke go flat then all the better.

As for water, to be honest the only thing I use mineral water for on holiday is for brushing my teeth in!
I'd rather drink coke and sprite preferably from a can or bottle I can see being opened.

Never sure about bottled water in Countrys like Egypt, but do use it for teeth and swig some at night.

As for those large water butts they have round a lot of the AI hotels where you go and fill up your cup/mini bottle from a spout - Eww! Say the person who has used it before you had a tummy upset or the sharm shuffle the day before and the edge of their cup touches the spout and then the edge of your cup touches the spout, i'm sure bacteria abounds :yuck :yuck Too risky !
Its true actually that drinking to much water in hot countries does give you tummy aches, well can contribute loose bowels. The doctor out there informed me of that, and here we were thinking we were being hydrated and being good.

Sprite apparently with the lemon helps the gut to ward off bacteria as some of you already stated.

In Egypt i dont drink water now only sprite and coke and been fine.

Mint tea is also good for you:)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.