Bulgaria Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Bulgaria
There were rumours this summer, circulating among the ex-pat community in Bulgaria, which alleged that Bulgaria Air only planned to fly to Varna from Gatwick on one day per week (which was rumoured to be Sundays) in 2011 - how true these rumours were is likely only to be discovered when their 2011 schedules are released. Bulgaria Air had certainly reduced the number of weekly flights to Varna from Gatwick this year, in comparison with previous years.

I had booked this year's (2010) Bulgaria Air flight to Varna with Opodo by this this time in 2009 but no availability is currently showing on their website for my dates, only flights with Malev (up to 18 hours in duration, via Budapest) or BA.

In view of these rumours and likely limited availability, I have already booked my summer 2011 return flght to Varna from Gatwick with BA, as BA's schedules for next year have already been set from late March - their flights are on Tuesdays & Thursdays.

Wizz Air appear to be flying to Varna from Luton on Tuesdays & Saturdays next year. Wizz Air are a 'low cost/no frills' airline and, as with all airlines, the price that you pay very much depends on when you want to fly, when you book and the popularity of that date/flight - my return flight (outbound late June) with BA cost £160.

Hope this helps,

Baldur
Hi Baldur,
Thanks for the info. The problem is that we normally book through Balkan Holidays on a package holiday. when putting in gatwick on the booking form nothing comes up,but as soon as you put in Luton the hotel comes up with the flight times on the saturday, so it looks like that this is the case for 2011. Do you know when bulgarian air schedules are due to be released.

Cheers,
cornish lad (roger)
I have PM'd you with my take on the current situation.

Baldur
Hi Baldur,
Thanks for pm. We will get our hols in GS where ever we have fly from :cheers

Cheers,
cornish lad (roger).
I to have done the same as Baldur, I am flying with British Airways, but I have booked Hotel only with Balkan Holidays, it works out a lot cheaper than a package, can give you a reliable guy for reasonable transfers. Tonyt.
See my post HERE re: cancellation of BA flights London - Varna.
Cornish Lad, sorry please ignore all that I posted earlier today, I too have managed to get my original dates in June with Wizzair, slightly dearer, but at least its booked Tonyt
Hi Tonyt,
Thanks for the pm. Sounds like a good deal. Can you you do that hotel/flight deal through the travel agent and also does the atol protection still come into force. I normally pay the travel agent so much each month as the finances are hard these days, could I still pay this way by booking the flight and hotel seperatly. The transfer is no problem as I know a taxi driver from the hotel who could pick me up from varna.

Cheers,
cornish lad ( roger).
Cornish Lad, I do all mine through internet, you get discounts.
Flight I am afriad has to be paid up front. Hotel at mo is £45 dep, another £45 by end of Nov then remainder 8 weeks before you fly, if you are friends with agents, ask if they can match, I've got flight wizzair £196 14th June inclusove of luggage and Hotel Drouzbha, Albena 2 weeks B/B, sea view Balcony, for self at £160 for two weeks, my taxi driver friend does the transfer for £25 (£20 for Golden Sands). Cheers Tonyt.
Hi Tonyt,
Thanks for the info. I will have a good think about what way I will book for GS. It is suprising the deals you can get. Only 10 months to go :tup

Cheers,
Cornish lad (roger)
Bulgaria Air have now released their LGW_VAR schedules for next summer, as a 'Seasonal flight from 22 April 2011 to 28 October 2011' on Mondays & Fridays:

Outbound - Departure: 08:45 London, United Kingdom - Gatwick, terminal S
Arrival: 14:05 Varna, Bulgaria - Varna

Inbound - 06:00 Varna, Bulgaria - Varna
Arrival: 07:45 London, United Kingdom - Gatwick, terminal S
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.