Bulgaria Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Bulgaria
have a look here. A good starter!
Hi Shushu,

We learned the Cyrillic alphabet early on, and suddenly a lot of the signs started to make sense, because some words are like ours, or have a French origin.

Have a look HERE.

Unlike English, words tend to sound as they are written with very few booby traps.

Peter
thanks fiona and peter
just trying to learn abit of the bacis,s before we go your a great help as always cheers. :tup
My advice would be to buy a book called "Teach Yourself Bulgarian"

The course itself is based on a casette and a text book and if you learn the cyrillic alphabet it will be a "easy" way to teach Bulgarian.
"Easy" is very good! :)

"Easy" is the cyrillic alphabet. But the grammar! "Kupuvam" or "kupija", "tshetoch" or "tshetjach"! :bhead These differents are only in slav languages.

Bulgarienfan
True Bulgarienfan, Bulgarian grammar is complex, to say the least!

Baldur
Hi

Try this link HERE

It gives a basic language, plus you can right click on the words and save them to you computer.
Thanks for the information. I'm trying to learn a few basics before we go, but the pronounciation seems to be different from different tapes. eg I thought it was 'blagodaria' for thankyou but the BBC one sounds like 'dogodaria' and is molya pronounced more like 'moya?' P.S. Whats the most common form of 'sorry' or 'excuse me'??!
Is it appreciated that you are trying or is it like France where I've just got funny looks!! Thanks
Hi BMM.

the word you are looking for is izyinete sound as izvanete difficult but very much appreciated, when used (excuse me) a good disc if you get hold of it is talk Bulgarian
Hi BMM,

'Excuse me' is Извинете (Izvinete), 'Sorry' is Съжалявам (Suzhalyavam).

Baldur
Without being cheeky, could anyone help me with some phonetic spellings as I have a hearing problem and really cant work out the sound clips offered on the advised websites. The only one I can really hear is a couple of the BBC ones. I've made a guess at how they sound below

I was just hoping that someone could help me decipher the basics and point me in the right direction...

hello (Zuhdev'ry?)
goodbye (BBC sounds like "Duvishd'ney")
please (Couldn't work this out at all)
thankyou (Couldn't work this out at all)
How much (Couldn't work this out at all)
Yes (Dah)
No (Ne:h)

Thanks to anyone who can give me a hand... I don't want to mispronounce something and ask for something rude or silly by mistake :oops:..

Love
Maz
Hi Maz,

See HERE, under 'Phonology', for some phonetic pronunciation guidance.

Baldur
Hi Mazza. I wouldn't even say it was your hearing problems with the BBC web site. I had a look on it last year and they said everything so quickly that I just :? couldn't make it out either.
I think I'm going to have to be a typical brit abroad (albeit without socks and sandals) and just speak louder and with hand gestures to make my self understood.

I've tried a few words with a dodgy accent but I sound like a dodgy, late night channel 5 movie!
hi every one,
i went to sunny beach last year and i have to say i dint pic ANY up, not like i do in other places, but i do now that shacking your head side to side is YES weres nodding is NO!
it should help as when you get offerd stuff and you dont know how to say yes or no its gets embarassing!! lol
lil-mizz-chata-box
XxX
Hi all!

I thougth I could help a bit with this since I am after all Bulgarian...
Bellow a few usefull words I put up together some time ago:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v80/Tinkle/language1.jpg

And bellow is a guide to cyrillic letter pronunciation:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v80/Tinkle/language2.gif

Let me know if there is anything else I could help with!
Hi folks ,
I've got a silly question ,
I can't remember from last year what is the bulgarian for water ( fizzy and still )
thank you
Chris
Hi Chris,

Water is вода (voda)
Mineral water is Минерална вода (mineralna voda)
IIRC, Fizzy mineral water is Минерална вода Газирана (mineralna voda gazirana)

Baldur
Hi Baldur,

I prefer my water with a K in the middle :D

Patka
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.