Bulgaria Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Bulgaria
Bulgarian wines
8 Posts
Hi jimbouk,

Bulgarian wines are made from many grape varieties, including Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Chardonnay, Sauvignon Blanc, Traminer, Muscat, Shiraz/Syrah, etc., etc.

Just as here, they range from 'plonk' to extremely good wines.

Baldur
I always think they keep the best red wines for themselves and the German export market. Ones from the Ruse region are particularly fine in my opinion.

As for white, in my opinion again, better on fish & chips unless it's Snow Wine. Might be good for the septic tank, Baldur!

Peter
I wouldn't contaminate my sanitary arrangements with бяло вино, Peter. :wink:

Baldur
So are there any particular good ones that you would highly recommend. And obviously being Bulgarian it will be difficult for us to identify the good ones with not speaking the lingo. :roll:
Any chance of a bulgarian wine phrase book?
Cheeky i know, but the thought of lager for a fortnight makes me feel bloated already. :shock: :lol:
Ta Kath
It's not a problem, many wines have German labels and in ordinary restaurants you can afford to experiment. You can try Kadarka (in moderation, can have a moving effect) then there's Bear's Blood with it's distinctive label.

Red wines of course, just about the only near civilised white in my opinion is Donkey Milk labelled Assen Milsch or something like that in German. Apart from this and Snow Wine which is expensive, I agree with Baldur - I wouldn't use the rest to clean the loo!

Peter
esel milch was one of the wifes favorite whites,the bears blood was a little to heavy for me. :lol:
I find Mecha Krav (Bears Blood) & Sophia reasonably quaffable for very cheap wines. The range is so wide that, as Peter says, try a few and see what suits you.

Mavrud & Targovishte varieties can be good in a slightly higher price range.

Of course, my favourite wine is the one which is made from my own Lipa grapes but last year's poor crop means that I have very little this year. :cry:

Baldur
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.