Spain - Balearics - Majorca Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Majorca.
Thanks for info Acorncup.We are now back home and after my husband saw photos of the mountainous roads to Soller from Alcudia he wouldnt go!I will just have to wait until another visit when I can visit from Palma on the train or by car.
I am off to the Aquasol apts in Palma Nova next weekend. I am hoping to go into Palma, to look at the shops well the wife wants to look at the shops.Where would I get the bus into palma, how much would it cost and where to get off. Also for coming back where would I get the bus back to Palma Nova. Any help would be appreciated
Stewart
Hi,

We stayed at Son Matais Beach Hotel in Palma Nova and we got the bus just a few yards to left at the front of the hotel.

It was only about €2 return, the bus stops at the bus station, which is a long street in Palma, where the Sollar (can't spell) train starts and there is also a main trian station all just around the corner from the main square which I'm sorry I can't remember the name of either.SORRY :oops:

But there is a tourist information office and the red sightseeing bus are all at the square - can anyone remember the name of this?? (along with KFC, McD, Burger King!!!)

We just went back to where we got off the bus and got the bus back to Palma Nova, this is what was on the front of the bus, but a Magalluf one should also do.

Get the timetable from tourist Info when you arrive in Palma Nova.

Hope this helps a bit as I can't seem to remember much at the minute - I'm loosing my marbles!! :lol:
I think the square is the Plaza Espana, it's sort of north east on a map of Palma
There will be buses passing the Aquasol into Palma, if not there is a new Bus Station in Palma Nova, only a few minutes walk from where you will be. The bus takes you to Plaza Espana (although you can get off near the Passeig Maritimo, (the Marina) if you wanted to look round the Cathedral) and the main shops are quite near.

You could get a Street Map from the Tourist Information Centre (as previously said very near where you will be dropped off) or they are available at El Cortes Ingles (Palma's biggest Store a la Debenhams, Harrods) which is a couple of minutes walk to the left as you leave the street where the bus terminates.

Take care that you arrive in Palma early in the morning, or late in the afternoon, since many of the smaller shops close for a 2 or 3 hour break in the early afternoon.

Hope this helps,

Adam
El Corte Ingles is a great place to go, but be careful - there are 2 branches, and in my opinion, the one near the station is the wrong one!!
It is more geared up for locals (signs only in Spanish etc.) whereas the other one is more fun for tourists.

The one you want is in Avenide Rey Jaume III with all the other posh designer shops. It has air-conditioning (ah bliss in Palma!!), a cafe on the top floor with great views over the city, loos, and loads of departments to browse round.

What does anybody else think?
Can i suggest while your in Palma to take a ride on the Palma sight-seing bus as it it excellent

tatty x :D
It is more geared up for locals (signs only in Spanish etc.)

just look for bolsos, zapatos and chocolate and you'll be fine :lol: :lol:
OK fair enough!!! :oops:

One thing I meant (for example) was that younger son used to like getting a new Gameboy game on holiday, and you could get English versions in the Jaume 111 branch but not in the other one. Older son reckons the "other" store stocks more things like saucepans, washing up bowls etc. rather than luxury goods. :(

But I admit that the "other" branch is nearer the train/bus station, and when we went to it we had to hike all the way from the tour coach by the harbour! Whereas the Jaume 111 branch is nearer the cathedral etc.

But this board is all about people airing their opinions on one hand, and making up their minds about the replies on the other hand! You'd be lucky to get everybody agreeing on something! That's the fun of it! :wink:
  • Edited by Acorncup 2005-10-05 16:28:04
Thanks for all the info its a great help
Hi jaimec

I am going to the Son Matias Beach in January.
Not been to Majorca for about 18 years, but I have read some very good reports about this hotel & that is why I booked.
What is your opinion? Have I made a good choice?

Your comments would be appreciated

Thanx Jude
Hi, does anyone know if there are buses that run from palma airport to magaluf? as there are just 2 of us we would rather not get a taxi cause it would be a bit more expensive. if there is a bus service does anyone know how often they run and how much it costs?

Thankyou!x
The bus service is great. We were there in January, staying in Palma. The bus you get is at the airport easy to find just follow the bus signs. We paid E1.80 into Palma. We also bused from Palma to Magaluff about the same price, buses are frequent and room for luggage. Not sure whether the bus goes straight through, if not just get off in Palma at the terminus and bus out to Mafaluff.
Hi again, if you look on tripadvisor.com under Spain, then Majorca there is a posting on exactly how to get there, which bus to catch and where from
When you get bus from airport to Palma there is a very helpful Tourist Information Centre where the buses are and they will give you all timetables and where to catch buses for all over the Island. They were mega helpful in March.
Hi, does anyone know the best way to get to Cala Bona from Alcudia by bus ? We are staying in Alcudia, but want to visit friends staying in Cala Bona. Is there a direct bus service ?, or would a taxi be easier? Any advice appreciated. Thanks
i would like to go into santa ponsa from sa coma, is the bus service on the island any good, would my best bet be to go to palma and then onto s.ponsa
does anyone have any info on the bus service in Callas De Mallorca. What local resorts does it serve ?

Robert
it goes to puerto polensa cause we went in October
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.