Spain - Canary Islands - Tenerife Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Tenerife.
You are unfortunate to be one of the many holidaymakers who have fallen for this by the more unscrupulous of the traders.

You can read more on this problem at the following topics. There is also advice on where to shop for electrical goods by some of the local residents in the topics.

click here and click here

Don't let the experience put you of coming to Tenerife in the future.
If you feel you've been conned in any shop, bar or resturant, or anywhere you spent your hard earned money, and your not satisfied, ask to fill out a "complaints form" this is usually enough to get your cash back, all establishments are legally obliged to have them on the premises,
A1 x
...Apart from the poor tourist who did this and was then hit several times in the face and head by the *Asian shop assistant and his colleagues, before onlookers called the police.

I believe he's awaiting trial!

*Be warned :wink:
I would just like everyone to know that further to my post about being conned into buying a camera in San Eugenio. I conntacted adeje Town Hall and they have dealt with the shop for me. I have today received a full refund :D and now need to post my camera back to the shop. What a result!
Hi Karen
That is great news.Its good to know that if you follow something up it pays off.How did you contact the town hall?
Well done Karen, hope it makes them think.
We own an apartment in San Eugenio and I emailed our estate agent to ask if there was anything we could do. He spoke to the Town Hall and they told him to get me to email them.

A lady at the Town Hall has liased with the shop keeper and sorted it all out with me via email. I have received a refund part in the bank and part back on my credit card today.

She has been great. I beleive that shops need a licence to trade and for this license all complaints must be followed up usually on a form but she didn't ask me to complete the form she just wanted the details.

Just shows you it is worth complaing :D I was offered an alternative camera -the one I originally wanted to buy -but decided a refund was better.

If I want anything electrical in tenerife in the future I will go to a reputable shop like Electrocris in El Camison where we have bought a TV for the apartment. Its a bit like a currys type place.
Karen,

Great result and all the more so to know the authorities take these complaints seriously. Well done for not accepting the situation and the same goes for the Town Hall for what they done. Hope it goes someway towards preventing these unscrupulous shopkeepers trying to rip off the tourists and giving all the other hard working ones a bad name.

Wilson :wink:
Hi

Just ignore all the sales patter and buy from the UK.

Daveyboy

8)
Well Karen,you were lucky that you got the refund but not everybody has the same luck.I own a store out here and have been dealing mostly with locals more than tourists just because these last ones only care about price and don't border to listen to the salesperson and my advice to them is to shop around first and ask for known trademarks but still, loads of them fall in to the sales speech and end up getting something else. Brands like the one you got or derivations of original trademarks are not considered copies, they are all right to be sold with locals offering local warranty and the prices are not as high as you paid. For me is a everyday war to be in the camera market as i'm not used to this "hanky panky" deals. The store you adviced is really good and they're plenty more to discover, just have to judge them considering all the posible factors like service,knowledge,warranties and of course, the price.Then only you'll be able to do a proper purchase but if you jus guide yourself with the last factor you will definitely make a mistake. Anyways, i'm happy that you got your cash back and hope you don't fall into all that crap again.
Good luck
:glynis
Karen - I know the problems you had in Teneriffe were over a year ago, but we have just been conned in a very similar way and have ended up with a pretty useless virtually UN-branded camcorder after entering the shop (* *) with the intention of buying a particular Sony model.

Can you please let me have the details of your contact at the Adeje Town Hall for two reasons - clearly, I would love to get a refund (which we already tried in person and were unable to get anywhere - apart from the same scenario that you experienced with the offer of a fairly poor replacement at the princely sum of an extra 100 Euros!), but also, I would really like to help stamp out this very unfair behaviour.

Hope you can help after all this time,

Paul and Vicki :(
Name removed to protect HT against a libel claim allmen
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.