Spain - Balearics - Majorca Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Majorca.
Oh and i keep reading the resorts are mainly german now is this right?
Cala Millor has a good diversity of nationalities. We are returning again this year to the Cristina and booked through Thomas Cook, have you tried them? There is a good selection of restaurants and bars that spread from Sa Coma through Cala Millor and on to Cala Bona. We love the resort(s).

We have never stayed in Cala Bona although we do have a wander at least once or twice along to the resort stopping for a drink or two along the way :cheers .
Hi Vicky,
We stayed in Cala Bona in October 2009 and from what we remember Cala Bona and the Cala Bona end of Cala Millor was mainly British clientele, however it is hard not to bump into people from other countries as they are everywhere on Majorca, but we have never had any problems.
Have you tried http://www.travelsupermarket.com We have used them twice now and have saved money on the Arcos Playa Apartments in S'Illot which is next to Sa Coma, again it is a mixture of various nationalities but a great place for families and a lovely long promenade between the two resorts and only a short drive or bus ride from Cala Millor.

Alan
Thanks both of you, i have no problems with german people lol or anyone else just didnt want to pick a resort that had no brits either!
We go back to Cala Bona & Cala Millor year in year out cos' we LOVE it!

Have stayed in both resorts...Northern part of Cala Millor is considerably less 'German' than south of resort but in both resorts you will find all nationalities.

LOADS of restaurants to cater for all tastes in both resorts and the promenade is nice, flat and long so you can walk to your hearts content. Nice family orientated resorts, no lager louts.

We book direct with owner who has just started to advertise his apartments....Jimmy and his wife Antonia are lovely and apartments whilst basic are well kept and very clean. Pool use of hotel Don Jaime opposite...this will be our 3rd time back in these particular apartments.

http://www.ownersdirect.co.uk/balearics/b3529.htm
We really like Cala Millor because it was mainly German orientated! There were a good few British bars, but they weren't wall to wall all day breakfast places which was great.

We actually met an English guy who complained that there were only 7 bars. We couldn't work this out as there were loads of bars, but it transpired that he meant British bars. It's a while since we've been so there are probably more now, but we tended to visit the German bars more than the British ones.

luci :wave
Hey tis, I agree with you, Cala Bona, and Cala Millor are both great, I am not, never have been, never will be, all for british food abroad. If thats what you want, go to Alcudia, or even Benidorm, CB, and CM, are great places, the Spanish food is fantastico, I could even say,esplendido. Sadly we won't be going back there this year, we are trying Santa Ponsa, somewhere different, we like to broaden our horizons, on so many different planes.

We are planning, on meeting up with so many people from CB, they are coming down, to meet us, we are going up to meet them, you wouldn't believe. Dave and Doreen, from the London Inn, want to meet up with us, because they have never been to Santa Ponsa.

Garry and Bev xx
Great replies thanks sounds perfect for us we dint want somewhere all Brits either ! It sounds like we can get good quality food which is mainly what we want!
Husband likes a brit bar for watching sport but we don't want to be in them day and night we like variety.
Thanks for the apartment link I will look but do prefer a pool onsite.
Which others would anyone recommend ?
I went to Cala Bona last year and its a small resort, very quiet, with a few restaurants near the harbour area. Wasnt really much to do there, I personally wouldnt go back there, we only went in the first place at it was an ultra cheap few days in the sun. A walk into Cala Millor gives you the gorgeous beach and promanade though all the bars and restaurants are more away from the beach actually in the resort itself.

From what your wanting, I have to say that the neighbouring resort of Sa Coma may be better for you? Very family orientated, lots of SC options, a lot more places to go and eat in the night and a nice promanade to walk along in the evenings which will take you past some lovely beach facing restaurants and into S'llot.

I used to visit Sa Coma many times every year as I had relatives living there, and would cycle between Sa Coma and Cala Millor. Between the two, Sa Coma was my preferred resort mainly as it was more "compact" and had everything you could need.
I would have to echo what garyholc has said, even though we like Cala Bona / Millor a lot, we still prefer S'Illott / Sa Coma and Sa coma does have a better mix of eateries.
We go self catering too and I must say even after sampling AI last June we prefer having meals when we want and not when the hotel says.

Dara & Alan
Oh confused.com lol !
So im thinking maybe cala millor or sa coma are going to be better.
ca you walk from sa coma to cala millor?
I came across some apartments there the other day i think it was HI bouganvilla and they had a 2bedroomed but the reviews on it are not too good atall so put me off.
Does anyone know much about these?
Hi vicky,
yes you can walk between both resorts but it is a good 15 - 20 minutes walk (maybe more), we went to the Bouganvilla in 2002 when it was an Airtours complex, that was our first holiday together on Majorca, it was lovely but quite a walk to the beach, it had great pools and a road train ran regularly between the Apartments and beach, We visited last year just to look around and found it was dirty and lots of people seemed to be complaining about smelly drains, dirty apartments and dirty pools. To be honest for your requirements I would suggest Sa Coma, Cala Millor or S'Illot there are lots of apartments that are available in any of these resorts and everything is family friendly.

Dara.
Thanks I will stay away from those then !
I'm going to have another look tonight.
Is the walk all along a promenade ? Making it a pleasant walk?
Are there plenty of bars in SA coma ?
Hi Vicky, there is no promenade between Cala Millor and Sa Coma, it is either a walk over the headland, not advisable with small children and I doubt it is accessible with a push chair as it is over the rocky headland, the other way is by footpath which is more inland, someone else might be better telling you as we have always been lazy and used the hire car.
There are lots of bars and restaurants in both Sa Coma and S'Illott. Something for everyone I think.
Personally we prefer Sa Coma for eating out, lots to choose from, even a burger king in Sa Coma near the beach.

Alan And Dara
Thanks .
I've had a look and this is what I'm
Coming up with :
Floriana in cala bona
THB SA coma platja
Hipotel Bahia grande cala millor
Hipotel campo playa. Cala millor
Marina playa. Cala millor
Blau mediterraneo SA coma
Protur atalaya cala millor

They are all around the same sort of price so do anyone have Amy opinions if any are really good / bad ?

Also millor garden in cala bona is half the price but I'm guessing it's half for. Reason !!!
Another vote for Sa Coma/S'illot. We have stayed in the Paraiso a couple of times which is really nice and spotlessly clean. This year we are staying at the Sa Coma Playa Hotel & Spa. I'm going with my best friend; we have an annual 4 night break :D . We were going to stay at the Blau Med last year because the price was good but we ended up at the Paraiso which is a smaller complex. Have you looked at the Coma Gran; that always gets good reviews. Stayed at the Vista Badia as well; which is great if you have kids. I think out of the places you have listed I would go with the Blau Med; it's in a nice spot and gets good reviews. Let us know where you decide.
Cala Bona harbour area is full of restaurants and there's more still on the promenade down towards Cala Millor as well as some on the back street so not sure where the 'few' comes from. Cala Millor again has plenty of restaurants - some along the promenade and more still away from the front. We've visited Sa Coma a few times and personally I wouldn't say it gave you as much choice restaurant wise but perhaps I was walking around with my eyes shut ;)

Sa Coma beach is lovely...comparable with Cala Millor's beach....Cala Bona's isn't wonderful and tends to be a be a bit sea-weedy but lots of rock pools for the kids to explore...ours had a whale of a time last year catching shrimp, sea snails, crabs, hermit crabs etc etc.

If you were going for the Floriana in Cala Bona...as it's part of the Protur group you can get further discount for La Reserva in Sa Coma....absolutely gorgeous private pool with jacuzzi area, slides, kids area, sunbeds and from 10.30am to 5.30am it's all inclusive so you get all your drinks, 3 meals and icecreams. We paid €27 per adult and €13.50 per child last year and the kids thoroughly enjoyed it - if you are a Protur guest there are further reductions based on whether you are SC, HB or AI. We plan on making at least 4 visits there this summer.

There's a kids play park in Cala Bona, another mid-way down the walk down the central drag in Cala Millor and then there's the big Fantasy Park at the bottom end of Cala Bona.
There's good public bus access between Cala Millor/Cala Bona and Sa Coma...we use the Aumasa bus or we walk...have done the headland route, it's not something I'd recommend in flipflops - you'll need a good sturdy pair of sandals or trainers :)
Hi tis, hope you are all well.
As I think I said in an earlier post it is a personal thing, you love Cala Bona / Cala Millor, we on the other hand thought the only good thing in Cala Bona was the now gone London Inn and of course the lovely port area, as for things for the kids we don't look too much as we don't have any kids yet but cannot say we have even seen the big fantasy park at Cala Bona, the only kids play park we saw was at the cross roads near to the Hotel Moreyo and that was only open a couple of times when we was there, but in all fairness as I say we do not look for kids play areas. I am not saying that we hate the Cala Bona / Millor area its just that we prefer the Sa Coma / S'Illot area, S'Illot is a bit like Cala Bona with a small harbour and rock pools to the south along the rocky shore, the only difference is that S'Illot has a much better, larger sandy beach, where Cala Bona's beach as you say is sea-weedy and tiny stone or shale rather than sand.
Cala Millor is completely different as it is the larger resort of all four, so of course there will be much more to do, the only thing for me is that the vast majority of shops in Cala Millor are geared up for the German clientele rather than mixed nationalities, but having said that it's the same all over Majorca these days and we do not go on holiday to have the same things as we do at home.
By the way Tis when do you go this year? According to Dara we have 72 more sleeps, talk about counting down a bit early lol.

Alan and Dara.
  • Edited by BigAl 2011-04-03 10:11:19
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.