Spain - Balearics - Majorca Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Majorca.
Cala Bona
159 Posts
Hi, I Have Just Found A Good Deal Staying At The Moreyo Hotel In Cala Bona, Anybody Stayed There, And Whats Cala Bona Like, Any Ideas On Good Places To Eat And Bars Please, Cheers Tel.
Try Janet and John's Restaurant over-looking the harbour.The food there is fantastic and you will have great views whilst you eat if you are lucky enough to have a table at the front of the place.
Hi there
We were based in Cala Millor just along the beach from Cala Bona. We found it really nice. Cala Bona is mainly the British area. There are lots of bars and restaurants along the front from Cala Bona and Cala Millor which is slighly bigger. The "prom" is a lovely walk, especially at night it is lit up and quite scenic. Lots of gifts shops to look round. Nice little beaches

Regards
Dawn
many thanks to both of you for the info, we are looking forward to it, cheers tel.
Haven't stayed at the hotel but can heartily recommend Cala Bona.

We go back year after year - we've eaten at Janet & Johns, Smithys & Smugglers Bar but there are lots of others to choose from. We prefer a walk into Cala Millor to visit CHEERS.
If I recall correctly Janet and Johns has a photo on the wall of my old school. When I asked about it it turned out the owner was an ex pupil as well! Small world.
I stayed in this hotel last year. Small, family run, clean and friendly. Swimming pool is a little small but overall excellent value for money (especially the special prices offered before the end of April). Will be returning again in July.
hi thanks for that, if you try http://www.quickrooms.com you will definetly get a bargain, i got a twin room at the moreyo for two people bed and breakfast for one week starting the 2nd june for £95 and scheduled flights with british airways for £74 each return, car hire from http://www.doyouspain.com for £76 for a week, total cost £319, now that has got to be a bargain. cheers tel.
I would just like to add for the Moreyo. Another poster has mentioned Cala Bona does have quite a lot of English - the Moreyo is definitely Spanish. Although the bar staff speak quite passable English - it does help to try and speak a little Spanish. My Spanish is very, very basic but was much appreciated. They also get quite a few German, Dutch and Scandinavian guests - a German phrase book might be useful -although they all seem to speak perfect English! :oops:
I booked through the medhotels website - with similar pricing if booked this month. I think the lack of a lift stops it getting more stars - this makes it unsuitable for anyone with mobility problems.
We have walked past this hotel several times on the way to the beach in front of the Levante hotel - has always been busy (at least the restaurant has).
I agree it does get busy at times.

I stayed in Cala Bona twice last year. At the Hotel Sur (opposite the Moreyo) in August and at the Moreyo in October. The Moreyo was busy in August - but that is true of most of the hotels in the area at that time. In October it was very quiet.

Talking to residents in the resort, I think the tourist season is becoming more condensed (maybe because of schools clamping down on kids holidaying in term-time)??

Dagnabit (hope I've got that right) is going in June - I think he should find it fairly quiet at that time. I'm hoping for it to be 'in-between' when I go in July as I am taking my teenage daughters and their friend with me.
When we went in March 2005 most hotels were open. We returned in feb this year and the Alicia (where we stayed) seemed to be the only hotel open. Most shops were also closed - just a few mini markets open.

It would seem that Thomson/Portland have pulled out of Cala Bona for the winter months and that is why it is virtually deserted for those months. Cala Millor seemed to have everything open though.

We didn't mind in the least - even though the Alicia was only about a quarter full - made for a relaxing holiday!

Pippa
hi, thanks for the info, i don't mind fairly quiet, just so long as it's not like a graveyard, or the other extreme like magaluf, looking at the moreyo's website it looks ok, cheers tel.
Hope you'll let us know what you think when you get back. Although I went last year - it was very late season, so I would be interested to know what you think. Hope you have a good time!
will do, cheers tel.
I added a review for the Moreyo. Think I may have been a little strict with my ratings (for both the hotel and the resort). The Hotel Sur (opposite) has been given higher ratings. I have stayed in both and would rate them equally (although I feel the Moreyo is cleaner, the Sur has better entertainment). I think it is 'horses for courses', I prefer to be in a quieter hotel with the option of going out for entertainment, you can always nip over the road to the Sur for the Happy Hour (4-6pm)!

A nearby bar I liked was the Smugglers in Cala Bona harbour. I didn't eat there as I stayed half-board so I cannot comment on the food, but I found Keith and Jane (the owners) to be very friendly.

Hope the review is helpful.
Hi There!!
Off to Cala Millor month of July---last there in 2002---wonder if its changed any??
Visited about 10 times---always feel at home there!!
Will be travelling alone so if anyone fancies a pint and a chat---just give me a shout!
John
First time I went to Cala Bona was 2002! Don't think its changed drastically although I suppose a lot of the bars may have changed hands. I know there has been quite a lot of work done on the paths etc near the harbour in Cala Bona this winter but don't know yet whether it's an improvement. Maybe someone can tell us. When in July are you going?
Hi Tippi.
visited Calas Bona/Millor every year in the 90,s--- will be in Cala Millor from 2nd July--29th July---Yippee need the break!!!
I suppose some things have changed---I ve heard prices have gone up but haven,t they everywhere!!
Regards
John
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.