Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Great question.We too are off to the Nizmar in a couple of weeks and await replies with baited breath.
You'll find a lot of guide books claim that "Zeebop" in Majorda is the best shack in Goa. Well it ain't - the best shack is La Plage at Mandrem.

That's maybe too far on your first day, so try Lila's Cafe on the Baga River. It's not a shack, but it's a great place to relax and chill out in the afternoon. The owners are German and it's mostly european type food.
Make sure you have a lassi on your first day - it's a good way to get some friendly bugs into your gut.
Hi,

If you want a traditional Goan shack run by Goans there are so many to choose from. The following seem to get the most votes on here by other HT'ers:

Fishermans
Squeeze
Big Banana
Bobby's
Bosco's
Oceanic

I agree with Max about Lila cafe......excellent food but it's not a beach shack so don't go there if you want food, sunbeds and a view of the beach because it's a cafe on the banks of Baga creek.

I think there's a thread on here called "Which beachshack", if you use the search facility you should be able to find it.

Have a great holiday,

GFF xx
Morning Nick.p for your first day I would go to calangute beach :sun when you go down the big steps .......turn left walk along about 4 maybe 5 shacks up there is one called TIPSY......you will find raj and robbie who work there will make you feel so welcome ..............they will give you towels for your sunbeds.......dont forget to try the drink ..........slice .you will get it in there ...the food is very good and the toilet is good too .....
tell them we sent you I will P/M you my name and tell them we told you to go to there shack they will know who we are .....colleen :sun
NInc p I sent you a P/M at around 11.30am can you let me know did you get it :?: I think I have done something wrong ...........having a blonde day :oops: :oops:
Hi Nick - Wish I was arriving in Calangute on Sunday!! Irishcolleen's advice sounds good. If you can spend the first day or so in a shack that's recommended, it gives you some time to get the hang of the place before you spread your wings. I always find it difficult recommending shacks because it's all about how you get on with the people who operate them - we're all different and you'll find your own favourite.

As for the first meal, it depends on what you want. You're not far away from After 7, which is a fantastic restaurant although for Goa, at the more expensive end and quite swish. The Plantain Leaf in the centre of Calangute is the other extreme (basic but very clean and very cheap) and the vegetarian Thali de Luxe (around £1) in there is wonderful. :D It may do you on your first night when you'll be tired anyway. Suza Lobo is by the beach and good for seafood.

Have a great holiday!
Take a walk along the beach to Baga and try out a few shacks on the way, we liked Bobbies and silver sands.
Spend some time up in the Asia by the steps watching the colourful Indian tourists visiting the beach, sit at the corner table, the food's lovely and the service is friendly.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.