Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
Just to say there is a beach in Kalkan - pebbly rather than sand, but nice nonetheless. Sorry, I don't know about hotels - I stayed in a villa there. I can say it's a fabulous place - only slight negative is the transfer time, but it's worth it when you get there!
Oh ok thanks I didn't realise there was any kind of beach. How long is the transfer time please?
I was there 2 years ago, and it may be different now, but we had a taxi transfer and it took nearly 2 hours. The guy stopped at a cafe on the way there, so that took some time - that's a common thing to happen on long transfers. Stopped there on the way back too.

I wasn't used to having such a long transfer - maybe other people wouldn't find it long, but it was for me. It's such a good place to go though!
Hi,

If you want a friendly hotel with a lovely pool and the most friendliest of staff then the Meldi is the one. It is a B&B but you can have meals at lunchtime and eveng.The roof top restaurant area has views over the bay.

This hotel is booked direct and included in the price is a private transfer, If you require anymore details them pm mer,

Kalkan is hilly but we normally walk down and then get a taxi back, this cost about 3 Lira,,
can someone give us a rough guide to prices ,a glass/botle of wine,bottle of efes meal for two,dolmus fare to kas etc we were thinking of driving over next june for a few days but have heard it is expensive compared to other areas and we will be on a budget.
Hi thanks for the replies, i'll check out the Meldi , its bed and breakfast we're looking for as we like to try lots of different places to eat. I like the look of the yali beach hotel it says its about 10 mins walk up a dirt track into town does anyone know if that sounds right? it has its own beach club too which looks good.
Never been to this hotel or beach club but I believe it is past the Meldi, going away from the town centre. I think a couple we know went to the beach club and said it was nice but quite a trek down from the Meldi,

There's a lot of B&B in Kalkan and loads of restaurants, the ones down at the harbour are more expensive but has a nice atmosphere at night.

The drive from Kalkan to Kas takes around 30 mins on a dolmus but has spectacular views along the coast....quite a few sharp bends!!!!!
oooh sounds lovely i'm getting excited already only 9 months to wait!!! Meldi looks really good and I like the fact its family run and sounds friendly too:)
The Meldi Hotel is really nice, we have been 5 times. Does get busy in June and September but there are always sun beds. Most guests stay around the pool during the day unless they are going out on a trip, Around 3 one of the staff brings round frozen rolled up towels which you can cool down with which is a nice touch.

The restaurants are really nice with roof top terraces, most guests meet around the bar before strolling down to town and a lot of them meet up again when they come back! As it is a small hotel everyone knows each other but are not in your face.

If you want to know more about Kalkan there is a good site EnjoyKalkan.com in which you can gain access to Kalkan Local News site where they have 5 live webcams which would give you some idea what the place looks like,

Meldi Hotel is booked direct as there are no agents. You just email them and they will book you a room then when you have booked your flight contact them and thats all you do, no deposit required, there will be a private transfer waiting for you at Dalaman which price is included in the room price,,,cheaper to stay for two weeks than one. all details to be found on their website,

Hope this helps, if you need any more details please pm me.

Barb
Thanks Barb you're really helpful it sounds just right for us :) we always holiday together and like to come back to a bar and stay up late lol! and I don't think the other hotel offered that as far as I can see. So we can still walk to restaurants from there can we ? without having to get cabs. I'm fine about booking directly its what we usually do when we go to Bitez so no worries there. I will start checking out flights to give me an idea of whats what now ... exciting !!!
If you scroll back to January 15th you will find the Discussion on Kalkan where you will find that I recommend the Hotel Nur(see hotel report) which is very handy for Kalkan centre(10 minute walk) and the weekly market(5 minute walk). Also, check out website Enjoy Kalkan.

Les
Hi Cockergirl,

I have sent you a pm. As Les said have a look on EnjoyKalkan and also the Kalkan Turkish Local News which will give you all the information you need to know.
Thanks guys for all your help and thanks so much to Barbara for her help especially!!! I'm happy to say we're all booked in at the Meldi now and can't wait to see Kalkan now:) it sounds fantastic ... Look forward to meeting Barbara and Dave too Roll on 2011 !!!!!!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.