Caribbean Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Caribbean
Hi and welcome to HT! :wave:

Although not relating specifically to the Dom Rep, I think you'll find THIS topic useful ;)

Pippy :)
I've never taken a baby but seen plenty there having a great time. I would stick to at least a 4*hotel though or one I knew had good food hygiene.
I don't think the heat is an issue, its no warmer than Europe can be in the high season and as long as you take the necessary precautions with sun protection the baby will be fine.
Please don't forget to take any medication you might need, Calpol or nappy cream etc at these things are very expensive in the DR, it might be a good idea to ask the doctor about tummy troubles and be prepared just in case.
Always use bottled water and maybe take a travel kettle if you need to heat it at all, at least you know its bottled water you're heating. Maybe take a few toddler jars in case of food related problems?
They don't have fresh cows milk in the DR its all sterilised and tastes different.

Don't forget to look after yourself on holiday, one young Mum was so busy caring for the baby she forgot her own sun protection and was quite poorly leaving poor Dad to care for him for a couple of days. :whoops

Have a great holiday.
I really don't know why people make such a fuss! people in the DR and other hot, humid places, have babies who live out there and cope perfectly well.

We went to DR when my middle son was just one year old, (his birthday was 8 days before travel) and he was fine, despite being very fair skinned. He slept a lot of the time, due tot he heat (an dhe does love his sleep) so we kept him in his pushchair whilst asleep, under teh poolside unmbrellas, with the sun canopy on his pushchair, and with factor 50 on, and reapplied often. I took him for a little swim in the pool usually a few times each day, before 11am and after 3pm, so he wasn't in the sun at the hottest times. I also made sure he wore a t-shirt when out of the shade.

Foodwise, we made a decision not to risk giving him milk in resort, in case of upset tums, so took some cartons of follow on milk instead. I was slightly careful about what food I gave him, but he tried most things. He ate loads of bread and bananas!

I agree that it is a good idea to make sure you have plenty of nappies, wipes and any medicines for upset tums plus calpol you might need. It is also probably a good idea to take some anti-bacterial wipes, and hand gel with you, as it would make life easier.

otherwise, just enjoy yourself!
Ahhh thanks so much. Im so pleased to have this advice from other parents who have subjected there child/baby to tropical climates (oh what bad parents we are :) !!!) I will use all of you tips and we are now really excited. We did have doubts that we had made the right decision but hey my little one will have so much fun on the caribbean sand with mummy and daddy and lazy days at the poolside. Thank you everyone and do keep those tips coming in. Best Wishes :sun2
We took my grandson to Cuba in 2006 at 17 months, we flew FC (standard) and had plenty of room on our laps for him, but there were a few aunties and uncles in the party to share it out. I just popped into the crew and asked for some hot water to make his food up, no problems. We got the full size anti UV swim suit and at the end of the holiday he was still white even though he spent most of his time in the pool. The hotel delivered a fresh bottle of milk every day to our minibar for him. There is no anti Malaria requirement in Cuba, whereas we had to take it on our previous trip to DR, so I must admit it was a factor in the decision on location.
In 2007 we took him to Mexico, bigger suit though, again no anti malaria requirement where we went!
Because he was now over 2, I had to fork out over £300 for a plane seat but he still ended up on our laps most of the time.
You will need plenty of nappies and swimmers, nothing worse than not having enough for the trip home!
Hi

As long as you are sensible with everything you will have a fab time.
We have been travelling with our kids since they were 3 months old and have never had any problems. We went to Mexico when my daughter was 7 months, Egypt when my son was 10 months (daughter 4 years older) and again the following year, DR twice when kids were 2 - the last time being last June, and many other countries.

I took a travel kettle to boil water for drinks and the kids wore UV swimsuits and Boots once a day sun tan lotion (or Pizz Buin) and although they are fair skinned they have never burnt. I also got the liquid form of Chloroquin as it was easier to give my son (when we went with my daughter at 2 we had to break the table up).

Hope you have a fab time - I am still searching for this years holiday.
Hi.

just looking for some advice, we are going to the dom rep in August with my 5 yr old and 14 month old from the uk.

before we had our second child we went to mexico when our eldest was 2 then cuba when he was 3....he loved it, however now that we have a baby, am just wondering how to cope with the travelling 10 hours on a plane with baby on lap, all the xtra packing nappies food etc, also not sure what to do about milk he has cows milk once a day in a bottle....?

I was also wondering if anyone new of a buggy/stroller that would be comfortable for my 5 yr old as the resort s huge and in the evenings he will be shattered and not up for walking much, !!!

thanks
Hi

Does your room have fridge?
We would always just fill up some bottles with milk from breakfast and store it in the fridge / mini bar. We have never had a problem doing that. I have taken powdered milk with me before as an extra backup.

Pram wise I do not know of a bugg large enough for a 5 year old. My son is nearly 4 and we have just thrown our buggy away and it was fab on holidays (served us well in dominican last year). It was the anti-tip babydan. You can hang all your bags full of suntan lotion, toys for the kids, video camera etc on the back and it won't tip over when the kid is out of it.

My 2 kids both have trunkis which are fab for the airport and could be used instead of the pram for pulling your son around if his legs were too tired to walk.

If you need to know anymore please just ask.

Which hotel are you going to?
We use one of these from Argos as it has a lie back position. Not sure if it will fit a 5 year old but you have 16 days to return it in!
In Cuba they left a pint of milk a day in the minibar but I'm not sure about the DR milk. When we took the youngster to Egypt we used Mothercare travelling steriliser bags, bottles and powdered SMT milk or powdered baby food packs and then used bottled water and a travelling kettle for the mix.

On the plane to Cuba I took a bowl, put some powdered food in it and went and found the stewardess to get some hot water.
thanks....i took him to mothercare and tried him in a maclaren techno buggy fitted ok but over 100 pounds ouch !! considering i aleady have 3 buggies !!!

with regard to milk my youngest only has a bottle at 6 am, so i may just do away with that anyway, as should be of the bottle by now, and get him into drinking from a beaker though the day instead so this may just be my trial period...lol wish me luck. Food wise i have no concerns he will eat most adult meals so not even going to take baby jars just some sandwiches snacks for the plane. i jut hope we have no stroppy people sat near us that dont like kids !!!
we are staying at H10 ocean Blue bavaro...have you heard of it ?
Hi

Just looked online and the babydan pushchair is reduced from £100 to £35.

When ever people see they will be sat next to us their faces drop, but we have been lucky with our kids as they have been well behaved on planes and general the people have ended up enjoying them. When they were very young I would make sure they were drinking or sucking on take off and landing so their ears would be ok.

Hope you have a great holiday.
Just looked up your hotel it looks really nice and you each room has a jacuzzi - cool.
We stayed at Sunscape the beach last year and previously at Riu Bachata.
hi

thanks everyone !!

ps regarding the babydan buggy just seen it and look great for the reduced price !!! did you say you had one and your 4 year old was comfortable in it ?

many thanks.
Yeah my son was very comfortable in it and was so sad when we got rid of it. It served us really well and was easy to fold up. It is quite heavy though as its sturdy but it certainly was great on holiday and during shopping trips.
Help! Where is the babydan on offer, I can't find it. I presume it is the Stockholm from my searching.
I was looking at the possibility of replacing our well travelled one, particularly with a 6 month old in line for the next holiday. I mentioned this buggy and it transpires my son is looking for a new buggy as his has broken already.
Trouble is I can't find it anywhere at that price!
I noticed on the Utube demo video that it comes in a big bag. Is that what you travel with?

Edit to update for any one looking that I've confused:
Now turned the sound on the vid and the bag was an accessory from a different company, and I have been pointed to the current offer. Thanks.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.