Camping and Caravanning UK and Europe

Discussions regarding camping and caravanning in the UK and the rest of Europe.
Not been to that campsite

what town is it near?
It is in Jard sur Mer.

Les Chouans near St.Jean De Monts, maybe we would be better with this one? I hear St. Jean De Monts is quite lively.
We stayed at L' Ocean D'or, Jard Sur Mer, a few years ago. It was a really nice camp & we had a great mobile home . It has a pool , a bar, shop etc & is near the beach. The weather is also very good in the Vendee region. :)
DO NOT stay here UNSAFE and UNSECURE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have never been on a camping holiday before and after this experience I will never be on one again nor be back to France. A group of us had booked to go there, some staying in a French Freedom static home and the others in a tent with Vacansoleil.

Within 3 hours of arriving as we walked around the campsite at around 6pm one of the group was approached by a young French man who was shouting aggressively and got into his face and started pushing him looking to fight. This was quickly calmed down and we were not prepared to let this one incident ruin the rest of the holiday so we put it behind us and got on with enjoying the holiday.

During the week after this happened I am not going to lie and say the place was terrible, it wasn't everyone was having a good time, it was a clean campsite with a good pool.

But what was considered an isolated incident on the first day was clearly not as after the weekly disco (on site) 2 of the group who had stayed there until close, had been attacked by 10 young French men on their way back to the mobile home. One of them being repeatedly kicked in the face and punched until a resident beside where it happened chased them away.

The security on this campsite is non-existent with 1 security man watching over a bar with more than 120 people in it. Not only was there a lack of security but the campsite was not secure at the back entrance, so anyone could stroll in and out as they like, just like the attackers did.

After the attack we had tried to get the security guard to phone the police for us but neither him or the management would help us straight away, it took 20mins of trying to use pay phones before the guard let a female member of the group use his mobile and even at this he snatched it back off her before she could finish explaining to the emergency service.

When the police finally did come it was the fastest id seen the security guard move as he scrambled to get to them and tell his side of the story before we did. They didn't seem interested in finding the attackers even though they couldn't have went far out of the back entrance of the camp site. They were just happy enough to take a few details and for us to make a formal complaint the next day.

The very next day we visited the police to make the formal complaint with 2 witnesses (Belgium & welsh campers who seen the incident and helped out the injured party) and a car number plate of a car in which one of the attackers was seen to be in but they told us to come back in 5mins while they sorted out the paper work and when we returned to the station it was completely locked and they had left. It seemed just exactly like on the night of the attack that they wanted to pawn us off long enough until we left the site so we could not proceed with it any further.

The people who attacked the members in our group were local people and they also were friendly with one of the bar men as witnesses seen them leave with him after he urged my friends at the end of the night to head home (and that is what they did).

We had to move campsites further north to Brittany after all of this as we were not prepared to stay in a campsite where all staff knew who had done the assault but would not come forward and we would have to see them each day.

DO NOT stay here UNSAFE and UNSECURE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.