Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Yes you can get them, not sure of the cost but you should be careful when buying imported cigs out there as they are usually fakes. I always smoke good old Indian brand Gold Flake. They are 78 rps per packet.
I bought a packet of Marlboro Lights in the little shop next to Somy resort last year, had one and was nearly sick :( I took them straight back and told him they were fake which at first he wouldn`t accept until I showed him the inside of the lid and he agreed and refunded my money.
Yes Ellie, Gold Flake all the way for me too, they even do a light version which is a pretty decent smoke, better than Marlboro IMO, give those a try rather than risking the dodgy ones each time you buy a packet :?:
Elephant shop and Julies in Candolim sell them, but limited stock - Elephant shop will order the amount you require and do his best to get them (always genuine from here) - expect to pay around £10 for 200, most brands sell for that price.
Dabolim on your return always seem to be low on most stock also, but Bahrain will be your best bet if you get the stop over and about £6 for 200, plenty in there.
P.S Don't forget your allowance coming in and out, very keen if you get stopped at Dabolim and have only delcared the 200 max (any excess will be removed) landing back in Britain...you take your chance.
I agree with Spike, I have always bought cigarettes from the Elephant shop as they dont sell fakes, i will not buy them from anywhere else unless I buy Indian cigs which are not copied..

Steve
Didn't you know ? There is a ban on smoking in public places in Goa now.
"Didn't you know ? There is a ban on smoking in public places in Goa now."

They don't really enforce it in CCB but you don't want to walk past a police officer smoking in the street in Panjim, they will pull you up and ask for rupees. I was in Baga 2 years ago when about a dozen police arrived and took 700RS from about 20 or so foreigners for smoking on the beach, they will do this maybe once a season. Like everything else in Goa they enforce the rules every now and then at the least expected moments.
Oops, it was meant to be a joke !

Neil, as always, you are a great source of info !
What is the tobacco and cigarrette allowance from goa please?
i think its the standard 200 per person from anywhere outside of the EU. not sure about tobacco
anybody know if you can buy menthol cigarettes in Goa?, thanks, shirley.
yep shirley you can get berkeley menthol from the elephant shop in candolim
I Loveholidays - it is deffo 200 you can take from Goa or 50 cigars or 50grs of hand rolling. It is your choice if you wish to to fill your case, but be warned, every year for the past 4/5, customs have clamped right down and will take ALL of them off you if you are searched.
We have been lucky (as many others have) and got more than we should have through,but seen many pulled up.
anybody know if you can buy menthol cigarettes in Goa?,

My wife usually smokes marlborough menthol however she prefers to smoke W D & HO WILLS menthol classic when in Goa, she says they are very good, she usually has a couple or more cartons in the case when we leave for home.

She gets them from a shop near Kingfisher Villa in Candolim called Borkas. have not seen them in Dabolim duty free or looked for them in other shops.

Last year for a laugh we took a pack of "biddies" home for a friend who reckoned he could smoke anything.
Even now when i mention it his language is :swear he also breaks out into a coughing spasm.

GM 06
  • Edited by GM06 Ian 2008-01-11 20:06:02
Thanks for that , i am not a heavy smoker but love an occasional cig after a meal , so nice to know i can get them there.
Thank you yummymummy and Spike, put my mind at ease now. :lol:
Doctorjims

just returned yesterday and we paid 800 rupees for 200 from the elephant shop (next to Magnum Hotel in Candolim)

Ivan
Thank you yummymummy and Spike, put my mind at ease now.

No problem :)

Last year i was a naughty girl and brought home more than 1000 :think , i dont think im doing it this year, im a firm believer that if you carry on doing naughty things you WILL get caught eventually , so i am not risking it :)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.