Spain - Costa Blanca Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Costa Blanca.
if you see anyone walking across a zebra crossing it's the law in spain that you must put your foot down and try and knock them over. :tup
LOL Ok thanks for that....any more suggestions?
They are pretty much the same as here. The only different ones are the amber flashing ones, which (I think) indicate a general hazard, like a change to built up area speed limit. You also see them allowing you to make a right turn when the light is on red for straight on or left turning. I think basically flashing amber means proceed carefully (giving way to pedestrians or other traffic).
One thing which is different to here is that to make a left turn from a main road you often have to turn right onto a little loop and then wait for a green light to cross the main road. If you stop in the main road trying to turn left (as you would to turn right in this country) you will get horn blasted by angry drivers held up behind you! Keep an eye out for the sign, which is pretty self explanatory, and make sure you get in the right hand lane early!
I remember from driving in the UK that there is a red and amber light combination before the green. There is no such light combination in Spain.

Traffic lights go directly from red to green (stop to go) and then amber and then finally red.

Amber means stop unless it is unsafe to do so.

As Colin points out, there are often directional arrows which allow traffic to turn. If these are amber (sometimes flashing) then you need to give priority to approaching traffic.

Traffic lights are not much of a problem for tourists, but many drivers from Britain get confused by which lane to use on roundabouts, and whether to stop for pedestrians at crossings.

Another thing to be aware of is the vast amount of documentation and equipment that must be carried around in your car at all times.

I have found a website Here which answers a lot of questions for you.
Thanks for all that sound advice (and the website). It is confusing with the turning but I know what you mean I have seen the signs stating 'change of direction'. It does seem to me though that when waiting (either in a car or as a pedestrian) they seem to take forever. Anyway keep your fingers crossed for me and Ill post an upadate. I'm of in 26 more days and satying for 5 whole weeks ...cant wait :sun2 .
Thanks again
Cambio Sentido (change of direction) Most commonly seen on motorways.If you pass your junction or find yourself going the wrong direction,watch out for this.Dont take the next junction hoping to double back.Off topic slightly :whoops
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.