General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Cancellations
9 Posts
In my opinion, if she is the lead name, she will get the reminder for the final bill and will be responsible for paying it, or her mum who took responsibilty for the booking. Bet she'll be in touch when it arrives.!!!
As you're not the lead name, any charges incurred are not your responsibility anyway, so unless anyone owes you any money I wouldn't worry about it - let your ex sort it out if she can't be bothered contacting you. It's possible she may be taking a friend instead anyway.
I too suspect that she hasn't cancelled and is taking someone else in your stead - this would be the cheapest option for her as she would only have had to pay an admin charge of around £25-40 in order to change the name on the booking and there would be no cancellation charges due in that case. So, yes, you won't be liable for any charges because you aren't the lead name, but neither will the TA refund your share of any deposit you paid for exactly the same reason. So the big question is 'Who paid the deposit when you booked?' If it was you, or even if you only paid your share of it, then if she is still planning to go on this holiday then your ex owes you money in those circumstances. The decent thing to do would be for her to pay you back your share of the deposit, or at the very least your share minus the admin charge. However, I'm not sure that you have any way of making her do this if she refuses to do the decent thing. If she is capable of diddling you in this way then think what else she might have got up to in the future and simply count your blessings that you are better off out of a relationship with someone who can so dishonest.

SM
So for example if it went to court would I be called upon to go, its just worrying me because I want to go on holiday this year and if Ive got to pay £385 for a holiday that im not going on, then I wont be able to afford a holiday this april. I am about 80-90% sure that she isn't going on this holiday, I only payed a £30 deposit anyway and am happy to let that go. She isn't working much anymore and is having a very small income and she was very quick to jump on the band wagon and communicate with me when I offered to take on the holiday about a month ago but decided against it since I myself can't really afford to pay £385 in a couple of months.

From what I knew of her she always thinks theres a way of getting out of things without paying anything. I just want to be 100% sure that I will not be responsible for paying for my share of the holiday.

Thanks so much.
The lead name is the only person who can cancel or amend a holiday.

In your case she is the person who needs to cancel or amend.

If it was her parent/guardian who signed as responsible adult then, should she not cancel or pay, they would take action against her first and failing that her parent/guardian.

It might be that she has amended the booking, removing your name, and substituting someone else.

If it was a low deposit scheme and she has in fact cancelled, you could be liable for you part of the deposit not paid.

As she is the lead name then under the Data Protection Act the agent cannot divulge any information to you, they should however keep a record of your communications with them.

I would suggest you keep copies of any correspondence just in case.

fwh
I had a smiliar issue a good few years ago. A friend and I were going on holiday I was the lead name but she was paying for the holiday as she had no-one to go with and wanted me to go with her. We fell out and the TA rang me to say that Mrs N wanted me to pass the lead name onto her - which I did. I could, however have legally taken her name off the booking and taken someone else in her place.

As lead name she is responsible for all monies owed (or her mother as she is under 18). Maybe her mam will go with her instead? Whatever, you are no longer responsible for any further payments.

I hope you manage to get a holiday this year with your friends. :cheers Try not to worry anymore.
Could I suggest that to be sure you absolve yourself of any possible future problems, you write to the lead name saying that you wish to cancell your booking and include a cheque for the cancellation figure.Send this by recorded delivery and make sure somebody witness's you sending this. Having done this you should be safe from any future claim from them. It's all right people saying the travle agent and tour company have no claim on you but the lead name could come back in the future and try to if they are hit by the agent/tour operator.
If it comes to the date when the balance for a holiday is due and this is not paid on time the tour operator will cancel the holiday. You or the lead name who made the booking will not be liable for any costs that you haven't already paid in the form of a deposit. If the balance isn't paid the holiday is simply let go - in other words there won't be any repurcussions on anyone except for loss of deposit.

I have had to cancel a holiday when it came to the time to pay the balance (for similar reasons - relationship break up) and out of politeness I informed the TO in writing that I would be cancelling the holiday.

So please don't worry - the only thing that does cross my mind is that if the £30 deposit was a special low deposit the TO will insist that the full deposit is paid on cancellation or non payment of balance. Again though, as you are not lead name this would be down to your ex.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.