Bulgaria Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Bulgaria
May I suggest you read the sticky at the top of this forum Airport/driving/car hire HERE

That should give you a good base to work from.

Patka
I was sitting at Djannys last year and twice within an hour I saw the police pickup truck lift 2 cars onto the wagon for illegal parking.
The owners were tourists who had hire cars.
Just something to watch out for if you do hire one.
Don't know about Bourgas, but parking in central Varna can be a bit of a nightmare.

The main coastal road between Bourgas & Varna is generally quite good.

Baldur
I don't know about Bourgas either, but traffic is getting heavier each year in Varna, and I've seen some appalling driving. Last year came across a number of accidents one of which was definitely a fatal.

Out of the city there's a distinct lack of road sense and the only thing I'd ever consider driving in Bulgaria is an armoured car or tank!!

You are OK with a good Bulgarian driver, they're used to it.

Peter
Hi fitzy.

Just read your post about as the Bulgarians call it Spider, well about 10 years ago I had the same experience in Sofia after having asked a motor bike cop if I could park on Vitosha Boulevard we went into a restraunt for a meal, while we were eating my wife kept asking is that your alarm , I kept saying no . Then I heard an alarm and had the experience of looking out the window and seeing the hired car going past on the back of spider ,tried to catch them by running down the street after them but failed (not very fit ) had to get a taxi to the pound and paid to get the car back about ten pounds at that time. big difference to what it would have cost here. :D :shock:
Hi Mondeo
yes I can see why they call it the spider, with the hook and all that. I also noticed the cop rides up front with the 2 guys who hook you on.
I`ve jusy been thinking about this a bit more and call me cynical but, those who know Djannys, wiil know that there is at least 2 meet & greet people outside on the pavement.
Ok there are signs there saying "no parking" albeit a bit ambiguous but wouldnt you think that the 2 greeters would tell unsuspecting tourists that park outside that they are likelly to get lifted. The people are at least eating in their restaurant.
Or and this is the cynical side of me, does a quick phone call happen , along the lines of "hello we`ve got another one here" and the fine get split.
Hi Fitzy.

Some good cynical thoughts, but having hired cars in Bulgaria for the last 10 years (approx) have only had two bad luck experiences.

1) in Sozopol got clamped had to pay 20 lev to get released (cheaper than the parking,and cant get nicked)

2) the spider in Sofia.

Learned after that park in gaurded car parks they are not expensive and are well worth it and they are all over s/b even very close to Djannys. :D

PS back again in june this year
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.