UK and Ireland Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the UK and Ireland.
The big sleep is ideal for the CIA, also a bit further out int he bay, is the Future Inn http://www.futureinns.co.uk/ourhotels_cardiff.html?source=google which i stayed in last year & its very nice. & each room will hold up to 4 adults.
If anyone would like to post a review for any of the hotels mentioned above, please do so via the UK reviews section HERE.

Thanks.

Pippy :D
The Hotels mentioned are great hotels for Cardiff but they are quite away from Cardiff International Airport. The Holiday Inn Express is very close to the airport.
Sorry Admin but you are wrong the original poster doesn't want Cardiff International Airport, they want Cardiff International ARENA, thats where concerts etc are held.

Judith
Thanks Judith ... please excuse Sarah. That might explain why she missed her recent flight at Cardiff, she said she couldn't reach the check in desks because there was a Tom Jones concert going on in the departure terminal. :roll:

David :wave
:rofl :rofl :rofl
Oh my God I'm going for a lay down.

Sorry everyone.
As mentioned earlier The Big Sleep is about the best value and really close to the arena.
We are at Cardiff in July for a couple of nights

because we have tickets to see STATUS QUO
tickets near the stage too

but what else is there apart from all the usual high street homogenised shopping where you can't tell what town you're in

Accommodation is sorted as we are taking our caravan to a CL behind a pub
Cardiff Bay is worth the trip - plenty of bars and restaurants. Out of town St Fagans Museum of Welsh Life is a good day out (and free!). The beaches around Ogmore are also great if the weather is fine. For sheer tat try Barry Island!!!!
Have you looked at the Cardiff Central travellodge. It was available for these dates yesterday morning, and is slap bang in the center of the city.
There's also Comeston Medieval village near Penarth.
over 200 Acres of lakes, woodlands,meadows & nature trails. Home of COMESTON MEDIEVAL VILLAGE-14th C village with livestock breeds from Middle Ages and costumed tour guides. medieval battles & jousting .

Tel:029 2070 1678 Open Summer 10am-5pm /Winter 10am-4pm Free admission to park

We went to St Fagan a couple of weekends ago and did alot of walking and still didn't see everything. The place is good but could do with a few more people in character in my opinion.

We love going to Barry!!! You don't have to do the arcades or fayre, Hyper value is always good for getting the kids buckets and spades!!( well you could say they were for them, i'm sure the'd believe you :lol: )
Go for a walk round the headland.

You could try the Knap which is just around the corner from Barry Island.
There used to be a open air lido there but it's been filled in and grassed and there's a very nice lake which was full of swans.
There's a bit of a beach where the harbour is, but just round the corner again is a white pebbled beach, steep in places, sand at the far end.
You can park the car all the way along the back of the beach, they were wind surfing there on monday :D .
There are even some roman ruins on the right just as you get to the beach.
The only thing at the Knap is a cafe. the sun came out too on Monday :shock:

Penarth is lovely - like seasides used to be.
You can fish off the end of the pier or catch the Waverley to Minehead ( ???If it still runs??? think I heard it had stopped??)

Splott matket!!!(Sundays)

Roath Park..

Castell Coch

Found this
http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel/Europe/United_Kingdom/Wales/South_Glamorgan/Cardiff-315777/Things_To_Do-Cardiff-TG-C-1.html
Sorry can't manage to reduce the length of the link :roll:
We have stayed there several times and have to recommend Jurys. Hilton was ok, but felt the execturtive rooms at Jurys were much nicer. You do have all the spa type facilities at Hilton mind.
OK. Want to visit Cardiff for an 'event' at the Millenium Stadium next June. We're from the North East so an overnight (or 2 night) stay would be preferable (only my son has sampled the delights of Cardiff before).
As per usual though as soon as the date of the event is announced (and despite my knowing my way around the internet a bit) the vast majority of Hotels are unavailable (and this despite a date change with the annual event happening 3 weeks later than it normally does). Only £120+ a night hotels are still available and as there are 5 adults, we'll probably need 3 rooms so this isn't really an option.

Does anyone have any ideas regarding hotels 'in the vicinty' of Cardiff, have looked at Bridgend, Caerphilly, Penarth and Newport ?? But am unsure of local travel arrangements as the event won't be finished until after 10 on the evening.

Would prefer hotels to Guest Houses and would appreciate any assistance.
Have you looked at the future Inn in Cardiff? its situated in the bay area
http://www.futureinns.co.uk

As far as staying in the area surrounding cardiff, Trains to Newport, Barry & Caerphilly run until around 11ish, but be warned, when events are on at the stadium the trains are rammed full & queues to get on the trains are unbareable.

Taxis are virtually impossible to find ...unless you want to join the 1/2 mile queue at the taxi ranks :roll:

this site is useful for finding guest houses
http://www.stayinwales.co.uk
June next year is a long time ahead to be booking. If you have limited yourself to internet searches it may be too far ahead. Call the hotels as they may not have released the availability. We had our daughter's Christening in Cardiff in July and some friends stayed at the Future Inn and said it was OK, my parents stayed in the Hilton and it was excellent (£90 a room a night inc breakfast). You can often get better deals for two nights stay. Go to a travel agent and pick up a UK short breaks brochure - these can sometimes offer very competetive rates and they block book rooms, so whilst the hotels are saying they are booked they have actually let rooms go to tour operators.
You could try the Village Hotel Cardiff, or the Premier Travel Inn at Bridgend .............
There was this a few months back for ideas of something a little cheeper!
http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=45326
Thanks for the replies, still seen nothing suitable though. Still either no rooms or £120 a night.

Appreciate that this is an early booking but when 5 people are travelling from the North East of England to attend an event at the Millenium Stadium costing £35 a ticket you do want to have your travel options sorted out as soon as possible, we don't want to be stuck in Cardiff after the event with nowhere to go!! However I do see Davey's point regarding Superbreak and 'block booking' so I suppose we will continue to look (can't book that far in advance at the moment).

Will follow Nicola's link later today !

Cheers
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.