UK and Ireland Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the UK and Ireland.
Mods, please can you add Edinburgh Central Travelodge to the hotel reviews and I will post a hotel review.

Thanks!
Jaime C :wave
jaime c

Really enjoyed reading your report, sounds like you had a great time. I only stay about 40 miles from Edinburgh but haven't done half the things you did. When I think about it I've probably only been in half the pubs too :lol: I do like Edinburgh though, always try and get through when the Festival is on, well the Fringe really. If you get good weather it's great to walk about the Mile and see the street artists, a great day out. Before I go I'm only 8 miles from Glasgow, have you been there ?

Wilson :wink:
Hi Wilson,

Thanks for the reply. Been to Glasgow too many times to remember :lol: Lots of football.

We did go once for a 3 day break a few years back, it was nice though. Lots of shopping!

Hi Jaime :wave

Many thanks for posting your trip report and hotel review :tup
Pippy :D
You've put me to shame as I've lived in Edinburgh most of my life and not done a lot of the tours. Problems are baby sitting ones now lol.
Groovee, never mind, I havn't been to half the places in Belfast yet :lol:

My husband said to me last night 'im really disappointed we never seen a ghost in the vaults'

Thank goodness we didn't I would have :yikes
Hi Everyone,

Well got back in one piece dispite a terrible flight coming home <ekk> Had a lovely relaxing few days away, so here is what we got up to...
Flew easyjet from BFS - EDI, full flight with students going back for new term but a smooth flight.

Arrived at hotel http://www.travelodge.co.uk travelodge on St Mary's St about 12 noon and able to check in immediately. I had called ahead and requested a quiet room at the back of the hotel and this was fine. We did get a fantastic £15 per night rate so a bit of a bargain! Typical travelodge room, but all you need.

Walked up the Royal Mile and went into the Mitre for Sunday lunch then walked over to the gardens to see the market and the funfair, popped into a few shops along Prince's St. Dandered over to Grassmarket and went into Black Bull to watch the football then walked up to Finnegans to watch more football. Got chippy on Royal Mile and headed back to hotel later.

Didn't rush up any mornings so got breakfast in Glenha's Cafe on Canongate then walked down to the People's Museum and onto the Parliament. http://www.scottish.parliament.uk/vli/visitingHolyrood/guidedTours.htm £5 for the tour and it was very interesting, learned a lot about the design of the building as well. After that we just walked up the Royal Mile to the castle, stopping in a few pubs on the way and looking in the closes as well. Went to Gordon's Italian that evening for dinner which was lovely.

Tuesday and it was lashing down (we're used to that, its typical Northern Irish weather!) went to Glenha's Cafe for brekkie again (reasonable and nice). Went to the museum http://www.nms.ac.uk/nationalmuseumhomepage.aspx enjoyied here and loved the Millenium clock, waiting to see it in action and it drew quite a crowd. Called into Grayfrairs Bobby for a drink. Walked over to the omni centre and had food in Lloyds then headed later on to the Globe for the match and what a good one it was!

The sun was out on Wed morning and yes went to Glenhas for brekkie again, this was shopping day so went along Prince's st and stocked up on Millie's cookies and back for some Jim Garrahys fudge (yum!). Got our cases and got the airbus back to the airport. Flight was fine until we got half way home then the winds hit, bumpy bumpy!

Thanks for all the advice again and of course we will be back, Edinburgh is like home from home for us now.
:o)
Thanks for a great report Jamiec very much appreciated. If you get chance would you add a hotel review here

Thanks Sarah
jaimec,

Good report, sounded like you had a great time despite the weather.

Wilson :wink:
Hi Sarah added hotel review to here...
http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/reviews/scotland/city-of-edinburgh/edinburgh/edinburgh-central-travel-lodge/

thanks Wilson, that was our 3rd trip and we will definately be back over again. We just took it easy this time as we worked a lot over the Christmas and NY holidays so it was well deserved! lol

I dont know about you, but i really liked Edinburgh airport???

The facilities are very good, spacious and friendly!!!
Hi :wave:

I am trying to find a hotel in Edinburgh on or near Princes Street, for 2 nightsa in Nov.
Not mega expensive, can anyone recommend one please?

Hi Karen

Take a look at Travelodge, they have Edinburgh Central which not far from Princes Street and they also have a just newly opened premises at Shandwick Place which is located at the end of Princes Street.
Midweek rates are lower than those at the weekend if you can travel then.

http://www.travelodge.co.uk/index.php

Graham
what date Kazzzza? Lastminute.com had 3 nights at the end of Oct at the King James thistle coming in on offer at £135 (total price) this morning. It's just on the corner of Princes street & its 4 *
Hi Graham :wave:
She'll be staying mid week. I have sent her the info, Travel Lodge looks nice and near. Wish I could spend a couple of nights there too.

Thank you Helen T, I have passed on the info, that is a good deal :tup

Kaz :)
Jurys Inn is worth a try, they sometimes have great offers. I've booked for the festival next year (when prices are normally very high) at £79 a night, room for 3!
Also Travelodge West End is very nice and normally a bit cheaper than the central option. All newly refurbished (was formerly Menzies Belford Hotel) and many rooms have a lovely river view. A quiet residential area but it's only 10 minutes walk from the top end of Princes and George Street.
There is a travel lodge just opened at the top of Princess street opposite the St james centre, very central!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.