UK and Ireland Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the UK and Ireland.
Just so you know you can't get a return ticket in Edinburgh (at least Lothian Buses). It is either £1.40 for a single or £3.50 for an unlimited day ticket, so it is worth making sure you have lots of change as the bus drivers don't give change. Tour bus tickets are told seperately. I would leave it till nearer the time or look at the bustracker as the bus stops around Haymarket and the west end are all messed up. However the buses running to the zoo are the 12, 26, and 31. Regular tickets are not valid on the 100 (Airlink). There are also the longer distance buses but not sure which ones stop at the zoo, although most will stop at Haymarket.

Also most of the centre is currently being dug up. Including Princes Street and the West End. The buses from the city centre go from George Street and along the Western Approach Road at the moment and there is pedestrian access across Princes Street at certain points.

To get to your hotel, leave Haymarket Station, cross the road (heading towards Beanscene and the Guards hotel) and the street the hotel is on is almost directly opposite the station and is very short.
The Oxford Bar looks very like a 'proper' pub, very few of which seem to have survived to present day, and looks the perfect place to await the return of my good lady and the remains of our budget.
The Rebus Trail, whilst interesting and appealing as it most certainly seems, must wait for another day I'm afraid as I will have to remain in a reasonably fit state to dine at the Hilton in the evening. I'll most certainly bear it in mind for the next visit though as ,should the pandas produce offspring, I can see another visit being on the cards in the not-too-distant future in which case I'll book whichever Travel Lodge is nearest to the end of the trail. :rofl
Once again thanks for the excellent information.
Edit:.... and thankyou Helenllama for the additional details.
The number 12, 26 and 31 will take you from Haymarket to The Zoo then back again. The 12 is roughly every 20 mins, 31, roughly 15 minutes and the 26 is roughly 5-10 mins depending on the time of day. There is a bus tracker at both stops there and back which will tell you when the next bus is due. I live near the zoo, so quite familiar with the buses. Your hotel will tell you where to catch the bus to the zoo.
Currently Tramworks all the way between Waverley to Haymarket plus the Eastern side of St Andrews Square. OK for pedestrians still but limited crossing points.
Got your p.m. thanks - we'll pack our wellies - might even treat ourselves to new tartan ones !! ;) :rofl
I am useing the Airlink 100 bus,Could anyone advise the best stop to alight for Lauriston Place, was thinkingWaverley Station,wondered if there was a nearer stop. Many Thanks.
Hi, Waverley is the wrong end of Princes Street for you - Haymarket would be closer and the House of Fraser even closer but I'm not sure whether the airport bus still goes that way because most of Princes Street is closed to traffic at the moment. The bus routes in Edinburgh can change by the day because of road closures and diversions arising from the tram works. So much will depend on when you are actually going but you want to ask to be put off at the nearest stop for Lothian Road which runs up behind the Castle which is on your left and the Caledonian Hotel is the most obvious landmark on your right. Lauriston Place is a relatively short walk up Lothian Road and it's on the lefthand side.

SM
Haymarket is all dug up too now.

As for where to get off depends on where on Lauriston Place you are going.
As for the route it goes round the side streets and then on to george street before onto Waverly Bridge.

That being the Case Waverley Bridge for getting off would be the best, in fact I would say it is second best after Princes Street.

I'd recommend going down the hill and then straight across Cockburn Streen, then left along High Street (Royal Mile) to George IV Bridge, down the left fork, and then turn left again and that street becomes Lauriston Place.

To get off for Lothian Road, the nearest drop off point is on Charlotte Square.

Or instead of the Airlink you can get the regular bus number 35, that goes directly from the Airport to Lauriston Place. It goes a bit round the houses, takes about 40 minutes. Plus it is a regular ticket/day ticket.
I'm confused Helenllama - if making your way to Lauriston Place from outside Waverley Station where the airport link bus stops, don't you need to either go up the hill (ie Cockburn Street) and turn RIGHT at the top to go along High Street/Royal mile to get to George IV Bridge and then take the right fork down Forrest Road (rather than left into Bristo Place) and then bear right again into Lauriston Place (rather than left into Teviot Place)?

Or alternatively turn right as you come off Waverley Bridge and walk up Market Street towards the Mound, left into North Bank Street and right into Bank Street to then just cross straight over the High Street directly onto George IV Bridge?

Whichever way you got there, surely turning left once you where on the High Street would take you down towards Holyrood and away from George IV Bridge and towards South Bridge leading onto Nicholson Street and would take you in the opposite direction to Lauriston Place? Or have I misunderstood your drections?

Either way, Upstairs, if you've got luggage it's a bit of an uphill trek from Waverley to get up onto the High Street and then down the other side to Lauriston Place. It's a longish street - where are you actually aiming for on Lauriston Place? For example the Premier Lodge is at the Lothian Road (western) end and so approaching it from the direction of Haymarket would be quicker but if you're going to the eastern end then approaching it from Waverley would probably be nearer as Helenllama suggests.

SM
Can't tell left from Right. And which ever way it's uphill from the airlink.

So if it was me I would get the 35 which goes directly from the airport to Lauriston Place.

It's every 15 minutes and I believe it is regular fare structure, (ie £1.40 per person each way/£3.50 Day ticket) it takes about 40 minutes, the bus is also set up for Airport Traffic. It goes a bit around the houses but it avoids the Tram Works etc. It's every 15 minutes during the day. Timetable is here
I'd choose to go the 35 bus route too. May take longer but easier to make sense of in the current digging everything up.
And it wouldn't necessarily take that much longer in reality - anything which avoids the chaos between Haymarket and Waverley could actually take less time at the moment!

I regularly go to visit friends in Portobello and always used to get off the train down from the north at Haymarket because I just needed to cross the road to pick up the bus but now working out where it stops seems to result in a different answer every month! And I need to allow twice as long time for the actual bus journey!

SM
There are road works on part of the route which have made my journey to some places longer than usual and they've to last a while according to the signs.
Everywhere Tramwork Road-wise is supposed to be reopening in time for the festival..
(I'll believe it when I see it)
Thanks for the replies, Because of the Roadworks driver advised geting off at Westend stop ,was not too far but uphill, bur we returned on the 35 Lothian bus from outside the Premier Inn which was a lot easier.
Our first visit to Edinburgh and loved every minute.
Pleased you enjoyed our trip.

Were you staying at the Premier Inn on Lauriston Place and if you did, what did you think of it? I live to the north of Edinburgh and there are times when it's easier to stay over rather than worrying about getting away in time for the last train north so I'm always interested on feedback on possible places to book a room instead and get a train home the following morning.

SM
Very Happy with The Premier Inn Lauriston Place, Comfortable clean room, Small bar,Meals in the restaurant were good without settting the world on fire, Staff very helpful,Not the best of outlooks from the hotel but when we return to Edinburgh we will stay here again.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.