UK and Ireland Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the UK and Ireland.
Hi try this site for ideas

http://www.manchester2002-uk.com/info/tourist-information.html

I'm sorry but I don't know much about the links from the airport into Manchester but I would imagine they are pretty good since the recent Commonwealth games were held at Manchester.

There are also 3 good National Trust Properties fairly near the airport if you get a taxi ......if that is your kind of thing :

Quarry Bank Mill - at Styal approx 5miles. Particularly recommended if you are into industrial history . It is a beautifully restored textile mill & workers village.

Arley Hall near Altringham - Gardens & Hall - approx 10 miles.

Tatton Park - Gardens & Hall approx 15 miles

There is also Jodrell Bank Observatory approx 15 miles away for the space/ scientifically minded.

I would definitely recommend the Lowry centre and surrounding revitalised Salford Quays area. There is also a good science museum in Manchester too.
hey there the links from the airport to the centre are excellent and pretty cheap, the train takes around 20 mins and from what i remember is about £3.
I woould recomend the science museum not sure after that as you say shopping is out so the town centre is probably out although you could go "window shopping" as there are so many decent shops to look at.
Thanks both of you for that useful info!
I'll follow up that web link . Like the sound of the Lowry & the Salford quays. Is that part of the Manchester ship canal and has most of it been revitalised. Aplogies, I'm probably showing my historical & geographical ignorance!! :lol:
It is part of the old Salford docks that have been done up - though not quite the leisure attraction that Liverpool docklands area boasts - still pleasant enough.

Yes, you are talking Manchester Ship Canal here. :D
I just had another thought.......if you go to Salford Quays you are not very far from Old Trafford Football ground and you could have a tour of the stadium and visit their museum - if any one in your family is a Manchester United fan. :roll:
Dont bother with The Old Trafford tour, it isnt very good, The Lowry and the Imperial War Museum next door however are excellent and you could spend the full day in them.
The restaurant at The Lowry is escecially good.
Thanks!
The Lowry sounds good. Is there a permanent art exhibition on there? Are there many 'Lowry's' there?
Or is it used for different events?
Don't want to offend anyone, but my husband is one of those anti-ManU people, so I think that's out! :roll:
Try here, it covers everthing that is on.

http://www.thelowry.com/

I'm glad you arent going to The Manchester United museum, the less money Glazer gets the better.
Eric, I posted a reply a couple of days ago, or so I thought---it hasn't appeared!
Anyway just to thank you for that brill link to the Lowry. I'd love to see some of his paintings 'in the flesh', and we'll definitely be going there for at least part of the day.
Do you know the easiest way from the airport or would a taxi be better? What's the distance? :thanks
Excellent jbybnsn!
All sorted now. Just have to wait until July :cry: Thanx!!
Husband and i are thinking of a weekend away in august and going to manchester.Heard the shopping and surrounds and lovely and that the night life is great to.
We were thinking of having a suite in "The Brittania Hotel"
Has anyone else been here and what did they think.
We want to be near to everything thats going off.!
Hi Scarlett

I've requested the Britannia Hotel be added to the reviews section.

You'll find the hotel's website HERE.

Pippy :D
*Edit, we already have this hotel listed HERE. Pippy*
ok i need some help. Husband and i are going away to manchester in august for the weekend.
We want to be close to everything that is going off..shopping resturants,and bars.
Can anyone recommend a good hotel thats not to cheap as we would like a little bit of luxury away from the kids for a few days.(but not toooo expensive)
Hi,

there are loads of hotels in the city centre

the Lowry is the "top" hotel at the moment and malmaison is good as well all the usuual chains are present in the city centre as well (jurys/travelodge etc).

Hotels to avoid are Britannia and Piccadily

If you are looking for something a bit different look at this

http://www.eclectic-hotel-collection.com/great_about.htm

the great john St one is in the city centre the other 2 are in the suburb of Didsbury (lots of bars/restaurants) and about 5miles from the city centre

Hope this helps

Pat O'Hagan
I second that, stay away from the Britannia and aslo Sachas. I've never heard anything good said about any of them hotes.
Would anyone have any idea of the cost of a taxi from the airport to the Lowry Centre?
We're staying at an airport hotel en route to Greece & would like to take in some 'culture'! Or is it easy to get there by public transport?
Thanks!
You can get a bus or a train into Manchester easily from the airport and then get the Metrolink......should be pretty straightforward with a touch of planning :tup
I would guess a taxi from the airport to the Lowry Centre would be approx £20
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.