UK and Ireland Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the UK and Ireland.
Manchester
71 Posts
Manchester seems to be letting itself down again these days.If it wants to be a tourist destination then it needs to get its act together,I went in yesterday for the second time this month to find the streets badly littered and some parts looking a bit seedy.It had a reputation a few years ago for being a dirty city,if its not careful the same thing will happen.
The regeneration has been a great thing but littered streets go a long way to determine a city's appearance and sadly if i were a tourist in Manchester yesterday I dont think I would have been impressed
I have booked tickets to go watch the Ricky Hatton fight on May 24th at the City of Manchester staduim.
I am looking for hotels that are close by that we could stay overnight at.
We are looking to spend up to £150 per night. The closer to the stadium the better as we wont have a car.

Any help would be hugely appreciated
Thanks

Emma x
Hi Emma,

the city of manc stadium has no hotels near it but it is only a 15min walk back into the city centre and although the stadium itself is in a dodgy area there will be thousands of people heading back into the city centre after the fight so it shouldn't be an issue. In the city centre there are loads of hotels and you should have no problem booking somewhere. BUT I would book it now, Manchester hotels get very busy at weekends especially when there is a big event on

Hope this helps
Hi Pato

many thanks for your imput.
There was nowhere to book at all that was relatively close and below £150, the closest was The Trafford Centre.
I have made alternative arrangements now.

Thanks very much anyway xx
hi, i am thinking of going to manchester for my birthday on the 1st jan to visit the trafford centre never been to manchester before but i here the trafford centre is really good, i plan to spend the day shopping and then maybe go back there at the night to watch a film, have a nice meal and a few drinks.
so i am also thinking of spending new years eve in manchester too i know this is a last minuet thing we were going to go on holiday but eveything is sold out or too expensive or not what we want. so im wondering if anyone could recomend anywhere? we dont want clubbing 9me and my boyfreind going hes 24 ill be 23 well pretty much! lol) ive seen the hard rock cafe online they do a 3 course meal, champange and they have a DJ untill 2am, this seems like more of a relaxed evening but still able to celebrate.
has anyone been here for new yer before? or can recomend anything simlar, think we dlike something like a nice meal with some entertainment or a ball or something.
also places to stay would be a great help toom, was thinking of the holiday inn, need to be close to trafford centre for the next day/night, not sure how far the toen centre is from the trafford centre for the hard rock cafe/or other bars we could go to for NYE/my birthday. wed be spending 2 nights at the hotel.
hope someone can help!
hi,Travelodge are having a £9 a night sale starting on the30th,I know there are several in and around Manchester,we've stayed at the one by the airport also Manchester Didsbury and one near Cheadle.There is one near the football stadium too.Hope this helps.T.
yes thankyou for letting me know
Trafford Centre is a fair way out of city centre, you'd need to know for sure how you'd get back before going into the city for the night. Some public transport advice is at http://www.gmpte.gov.uk and click the Christmas link (which does cover NYE). Unfortunately all it says about buses is contradictory and the definite info about the tram is that the last one is before 01:00. The Journey Planner link goes to the national Traveline service which is just about the worst designed travel planning software in Europe and you really need to know the answer before you can ask a question!! So, your best hope is the phone number!
We are a family of four wanting to stay in or very near manchester for one night. A travelodge would be ideal but some of the reviews are not very promising. Does anyone know of any other hotels which may be suitable but not too expensive.

thanks
We have booked our overnight stay with FHR and at the moment they are doing an offer on £10 off.

Here is the link.
https://www.bookfhr.com

Airport Hotels
£10.00
All bookings
Code:FHR-H2009

Angie.
near in which direction? Some of the chains say Manchester when they mean Greater Manchester - you could be miles in the wrong direction.
Thanks for the replies, will certainly check them out.

We will be coming from Alton Towers area and will be quite happy to stay about 30 mins out of central Manchester if we have to.
Hi,we stayed in the Manchester Didsbury Travelodge last year,it was clean,big enough for 4 and cheap.We have also stayed at the travelodge near the airport and that was okay,too.When we visited Alton Towers we stayed at the Stafford M6? I think it was,had 4 rooms there,again no probs.
I'm looking for a nice hotel close to Manchester arena, as we have tickets to see Stereophonics there in March. Has anyone ever stayed at The Palace Hotel before please. Is it close to the arena? Or if anyone can recommend a nice hotel close to the arena, my budget is no more than £180 for 2 nights. Thanks in advance.
The Arora in Chinatown (see review) or The Midland. Avoid the Brittannia and Sacha's
Well i'm hoping I've done the right thing, but it was too good a deal to miss. I've booked 2 nights in the Novotel city center for £132, massive savings :) . We've stayed in a couple of Novotels before and have thought highly of them so i'm hoping the one in Manchester will be nice too!
Marlou, the Novotel in Manchester is very central - right near Chinatown actually and near to all the shops etc. I've never stayed there but it looks really nice. When are you going there?

Denny
6th and 7th March Denny. Stereophonics are playing in the arena on the 7th. It's part of hubby's Christmas present :hyper
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.