UK and Ireland Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the UK and Ireland.
Looking for a B&B or hotel, just for a one or two night stay in Manchester.

My son is just starting at the university and will be in halls at Whitworth Park, so I'd like somewher near to there but also within easy reach of the shops if possible. :)

I've just done a search and a place called Martin Luther House has been recommended, but the link has been removed and searching on Google, just seems to be throwing up places in Amsterdam!

I'd be grateful for any suggestions.

Thanks.
Hi Kayley!

Ever since my son went to UMIST in 1999 I have been using Martin Luther King House to stay at.

It is always clean, comfortable and welcoming, but you have to bear in mind that it was once a college hall of residence so the rooms are standardised, but very clean and the housekeeping is excellent.

There is plenty of parking, the breakfast is 'continental' with ham and cheese, juice, cereal, and toast and croissants. There is a dinner menu available from 5.30 but being so close to Fallowfield and Rusholme you should have loads of choice where to eat!

The reception is extremely well managed by Paul, with delightful assistants when he is off duty, and I have NEVER had a duff stay. The prices are very good value and I find my stay peaceful and practical.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.
Thanks Alsacienne. It sounds ideal for me.
Please could you PM me with a web address or phone number as I can't find it on Google?
Luther King house now booked! :D
Hi all,
I'm visiting Manchester for the first time at the end of the month. I'm looking for things to do. Won't have loads of time as I'm there to watch my nephew playing hockey at the Belle Vue sports complex. We will have Saturday evening free and have all day sunday and Sunday evening to ourselves. We were thinking of visiting Old Trafford on Sunday and maybe looking around the Coronation Street set (do they still do this tour?). Does anyone have any other suggestions please? Will probably have a meal and a few drinks on Sat evening. Is there any live entertainment in any of the bars. We particularly enjoy a hypnotist show. Any recommendations for good bars. Thanks again.
Hi,

Granada Studios Theme park (Coronation St) shut a few years ago I don't think there are any tours there any more

Lots to do in Manchester off the top of my head -

if visiting OT then the Imperial war musem and the Lowry Centre are within walking distance on Salford Quays

In the city centre - the big wheel is till there (although to be honest the manc skyline isn't that impressive) there is also the museum of science and industry which has a Dr Who exhibition at the moment (my kids loved that) as an added bonus you can see onto Coronation St from a couple of the windows in the museum (they are next door) :wink:

bars and restaurants there are loads of all types depended what you want - if you have not been to manchester before then a trip to Rushome (curry mile) is worthwhile

if you need anymore info let me know
Hi Pato,
thanks for the information. I'm really looking forward to next weekend now. I've heard there's a great shopping centre there - think it's called Old Trafford Shopping Centre. Might start the xmas shopping.
Thanks again.
It's called the Trafford Centre, and there are regular buses from Manchester Town Centre. It has its own website too - but I can't remember the address from memory - which will help you to plan which shops to visit!
Trafford Centre has shopping, cinemas, food - basically everything.

I have never been there but daughter, son in law, and grandchildren love it.

Don't forget to get the metro to Bury and try the market - Weds, Fri, and Saturday! Best market in England - even better than Bodrum!
thanks again for your replies. Not long to go now.
Normal tram service resumed a couple of weeks ago (only now it's a bit quieter).

http://www.metrolink.co.uk
Several posts of off topic discussion have been removed. Please feel free to discuss football in Chatroom or on a football related site.

Many thanks
David :wave
Hi all. Just back yesterday from our long weekend in Manchester. Thanks for all your advice before I left. Thought that the Trafford centre was terrific although we needed longer to get the most out of it.
Had a fab meal in China Town on Saturday night although the walk to find a taxi back was an eye-opener :lol: . Did the guided tour of Old Trafford on Monday morning, mainly to take loads of photos for my overgrown 21 year old.
Had a great time.
Hi, Shirley

Glad you enjoyed your visit. Hope you will be back again.
Hi
Could anyone let me know which hotels (premier, ibis, novotel etc) are nearest to the Manchester academy - need a room for 1 night 3 people.Would like to be in walking distance if possible
Thanks
Lally
academy is at the University - can't think of a hotel near this (Grafton across the road doesn't have a good reputation)
it's about a half an hour walk back into town from here (or 5mins in a taxi also numerous buses even late at night) with Ibis on Portland St being the probably being the closest
Thanks
I'll have a look at that
Lally
I would say that the university is nearer to a 15 minute walk into the centre than half an hour.
Thanks again
I usually stay centrally to shop and go to the MEN or GMex but I will have 2 teenagers with me who are going to a gig at the Academy so want to be as near as possible for that so I can meet them outside afterwards (have been told I am far too old to join them inside !!)
Lally
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.