Cruises

Discussions relating to Cruising holidays
Carnival Freedom
12 Posts
I was on Freedom last October for her first transatlantic crossing. The prices are in dollars, which helps, although i didn't find them all that low - but then I'm not used to city prices, so don't take too much heed of me. Dress is very informal, and since I sailed the dress code has been relaxed further. Now dress shorts and jeans are accepted in the dining rooms fro evening meals, and even on the "cruise elegant" nights jackets aren't required for men.

I'd a hard time the first few days or so coming to terms with the decor - it truly is shocking. Colourful, bright, yet dark, and certainly not to my taste at all. Everything seemed to clash and the textures and patterns fought with each other... it really seemed quite oppressive. Thankfully the cabins were an oasis of calm in comparison.

I'd a lot of fun on the Freedom, loving the piano bar, the shows, the staff and the friendly (98% American - mainly older) passengers. So much so that i've got 7 weeks booked on the newly launched Splendo(u)r for a circumnavigation of South America next year.

Have fun!
craig wrote:
So much so that i've got 7 weeks booked on the newly launched Splendo(u)r for a circumnavigation of South America next year.
Now that is a cruise, nice way to get away for a big chunk of the winter.
Hi there 10 days to go and wondering about the following:

When paying for our 'extras' at the end of the cruise I would normally pay by credit card. Is it better because of the exchange rate at the moment to pay in dollars?

That's it for now.

Thank you Pestee
Best to pay in $ with a credit card that does not load the exchange rate,
Nationwide ,Post office Abbey Zero.

Probably still cheaper to pay in $ with other credit cards than change £->$
I'm fairly sure if you give the cruise company the option to charge in your home currency, they'll not be be losing on the exchange rate. Assuming you are checking in online, I'd be sure to tick the dollars option also. I'm certain whatever arrangement your card company uses, it won't be as expensive as allowing Carnival change it for you.
Absolutely! You need to tick the box on the forms you either check in online with or the forms they send you. You get the price in $ and let your Bank sort it from this end.

Have a great holiday.

Sue
Hi

Returned yesterday from my cruise and will put a review up as soon as possible. Overall had a great holiday, great ports of call, fantastic weather however the entertainment on the ship was very disappointing. :( If anyone has any questions I will be more than happy to answer them.

Thanks
Hi Pestee

I would suggest typing your review in a Word document first and saving it. It won't be approved for a while as the Admin who approves cruises is away at the moment. However you can copy and paste it into this topic.

luci :wave
Here goes with my review - any questions will be happy to answer.

Flew from Newcastle - Amsterdam - Rome on KLM. Flight very smooth and loads of leg room.
Arrival at Rome you get to a point where there are 3 signs for baggage collection directing you in different directions. Would be helpful if rep from Carnival was there to guide you. From baggage collection rep met you kept your luggage and guided you to coach. Coach journey approximately 1 hour.
Prior to departing the UK you are expected to complete the ‘Fun Pass' online which I did however it would not fully complete. On arrival at the dock they had no information for me so I had to complete a form regarding passport information for all my family which was a pain.
First impression of ship from outside extremely big and inside I found the décor was a little dowdy, however cleanliness was spot on.
Cabin - We had a balcony state room which slept 3 of us and there was plenty of room. Two wardrobes, one with shelves and four drawers. Bathrobes, plenty towels and beach towels provided. Cabin cleaned and prepared for you twice a day to a high standard.
Restaurant - We requested late sitting however were put on first sitting at 6pm which was too early for us so we dined in the buffet. We asked the Maitre de if we could change and were informed no. Not sure how they decide as we spoke to other families who booked after us and they were given their choice of 2nd sitting. Buffet food was very repetitive. Each lunchtime on the deck left hand side served Indians and right hand side Mexican/American.
Drinks - One day on deck we purchased some bottled beer and realised that one was out of date June 2008. We took this back to the bar and they said because it was within 100 days it was ok. We said that if we were paying full price for this we wanted a bottle within date. The bar staff then went through the fridge and every bottle of this make was out of date. They then gave me a different make and this too was out of date July 2008. Even worse when we checked another make of beer this was dated 10 April 2008!
Entertainment - I can only describe the overall entertainment as very disappointing. The brochure states ‘every night is opening night, another dazzling stage production fills the multi-tiered main show lounge with big sound, big moves and big talent'. Throughout the 12 days there were only 2 productions, 1 pianist and 2 events that were performed by other cruisers. Entertainment on deck was poor too, there was 1 pool game and the 3 trivia quizzes. I did not class this as a 'fun ship.
Ports of Call
Naples - walk from the port and you are in the town. Normally extremely busy with people and traffic however on our visit it was Bank Holiday and we had a leisurely stroll around the town (albeit all shops were closed)
Livorno - Shuttle bus from ship into Livorno town centre. Purchased our tickets from a tobacconists. Got a bus from Livorno R1 to the train station and then train to Pisa. Again another bus (Rosso/Red line) is required outside the station into Pisa town centre (too far to walk). Much cheaper to do than organised excursions and very easy to do.
Rome - Shuttle bus from ship into Civitavecchia. Walk up the promenade with shops on the left and the water to the right about 10 mins walk to train station. Train 9 euro return. If going to the Vatican get off at San Pietro (you will see the dome on your left as you come into the station) otherwise train into Rome goes around the town and takes a further 25 mins. Again much much cheaper than excursion and very easy to do.
Katakolon - Walk from the ship into the town centre which is very small with shops café/bars on sea front. 20 mins walking to the beach.
Athens - You will be met at the port by taxi drivers however getting the train to the Acropolis is very easy to do and cheaper. Walk out of the port and keep to the left walk with the port on the left hand side and continue around the horseshoe bay. The first bridge that crosses the road takes you to the metro station. Tickets 80 cents return.
Izmir - Walk from ship and taxi will be waiting for you outside gates. $10 into town centre ask for Kemeralti market. Loads of bargains can be found here. Very busy and big town centre.
Istantbul - You need shuttle bus from the ship which will take you into the centre. Blue Mosque, Grand Bazaar and other historical interests all in the same area. Ferries from Istanbul west to Instanbul east easy to do and you see lots of the city however you do need Turkish lira to purchase tickets (1Lira 40 each way).
Marmaris - Taxi needed from the ship into Marmaris too far and too hot to walk ($10 one way). Nice beach with loads to do. Would recommend having flip flops for getting into water as quite stony. Loads of tourist and jewellery shops.
On the last night of the cruise, there were 2 singers in the lobby and karaoké which finished at 11.45 as the room was being closed for fumigation. Every other bar had no entertainment at all. It was like our cruise ended there and then, we were so disappointed that we went off the ship into the local town.

Our flight home was at 14.05 however our time for leaving the ship was 7.10am. Other ships I have been on you leave the ship when you flight has landed.

I did speak to one member of staff who asked if I was having a good time. I said that I was very disappointed with the entertainment of the ship and that had seen very little evidence of 'fun' since arriving. She advised that it was always like this on the Med cruises however the Caribbean cruises were much better. I asked why was this, however she could not give me an answer.

We booked this cruise on the recommendations of our TA some friends who travelled Carnival however not on the Freedom ship and it seems like each ship have their own management who decide what to do. This will certainly make us think twice about booking another Carnival cruise.

Overall would recommend destinations however not the ship.
Hi Moderator - Is there anything I need to do to get this review posted on the review section?

I did post on there too same day and time.

Thanks
Hi Pestee

If you have already posted your review under Cruise Reviews then there is nothing else you need to do.

Unfortunately the Admin who can approve cruises is away from the site due to illness and we don't know when she will return as she is recuperating at the moment.

I apologise for the delay, but these are exceptional circumstances.

Thanks for posting your review above in the meantime.

luci :wave
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.