Thailand Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Thailand.
Cash or cheque?
6 Posts
we usually take some Bahts with us and the rest is sterling Travellers Cheques you get a much better rate over there with travellers cheques, we were there in April and the rate was 68bahts.

Have not been to Hau Hin so I cannot recommed any trips.
Agree re the mix of Baht and travellers cheques

Hua Hin has a fab night market - great street food
There is a good exchange office on the corner just up the road from the night market- can't remember what it was called.
there was also a good Indian restaurant near the seafront- but again a few years ago so I can't remember the name of it.

Where are you staying in Bangkok and Hua Hin?
Me personally, i dont take any baht with me, i take 300 pounds sterling and cash it at the airport once i land in bangkok where they give a much better exchange rate than in the uk.

After that i use my nationwide debit card in their atm machines.
We're off to Thailand for the first time on Saturday ! :lol: We're taking £150 in Bahts, jsut so we have smething for when we arrive in Bangkok, and then will use our Nationwide Flex Account card as they don't cahrge you when using your card abroad.. :wink:
Hi lorimer73,

Beware that your travel agent isn't just after the exchange commission.

We have travelled to Thailand on several occasions and , whilst we have not been to the new airport, have never had any problems with exchange on arrival (day or night) - and you get a better rate in Thailand than in UK. If you are taking English banknotes, make sure they are clean and newish.

Debit card exchange rates are good (as with Nic we always use a Nationwide card).

The Anantara is a good hotel, we've stayed there a couple of times and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it. Food there is expensive - much better to go into town, although the restaurants in the hotel are very good. Check out the hotel reviews at http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/reviews/thailand/prachuap-khiri-khan-province/hua-hin/anantara-resort-and-spa/

We like to eat at Jasmines; Orchids, and Itsurra (google them)

We usually go to Hua Hin for peace and quiet, although trips out are possible - to the Floating Market, river Kwai etc. and PalaU Waterfall is worth a look (if there has been rain). Many people advocate Mermaid Cruises http://www.huahinafterdark.com/hua-hin-sea-cruises-fishing-trips.htm , but we have not tried them.

It would be worth doing some research.

Good luck and enjoy!

Peter
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.