Spain - Balearics - Majorca Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Majorca.
Caves
36 Posts
Do you mean the caves of Drach?Try this link for info
http://www.worldtouristattractionstravelguides.com

There's a lot of info, ie opening times,price etc.
It's about an hour away from Palma by car

Hope this helps.
Hi Charlie

we went on the palma sightseeing bus and its a great day out you get to see things that are magnificent.. The ticket is a bit pricey but you can hop on and off as many times as you like in 24 hours and there are a number of buses that come at different time intervals..

I would recommend you take this oppourtunity to go on it and see the sights palma has to offer..

Have a lovely time you will enjoy it

Tatty x :D
I much preferred the caves of Arta to the caves of Drach. Far less crowds, no security men stopping you taking photos, a more picturesque setting and an impressive exit out of the cliffside at the end. Here's a link to a previous discussion about both copied from the original forum.

http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/viewtopic.php?p=2814#2814
Thank you for your help and advise. It's been a long time since we were in Palma never stayed there only visited. Looking forward to it. Hope the weather keeps dry.
Do go to Palma Cathedral!!!

It really is stunning!!
Went to the Caves of Drach a few years ago but was not very impressed.
You were hearded about a bit down through the caves until you got to the bottom when you were they put on a light and music show. I am not afraid of confined spaces but this made me feel quite uneasy. Also very wet and therefore slippery so watch your step especially with young children and older people. Have not been to caves at Arta so cannot comment.
Anyone who's been-do u recommed these, and how much do they cost to visit?
Yes I think they are well worth seeing but it is several years since I went so don't know the cost now.
I am sure you could find out on-line
Sue
CONTACT ADDRESSES: Cuevas del Drach, Ctra Cuevas s/n 07680, Porto Cristo, Baleares, Spain
Tel: (0971) 820 753 or 821 617. Fax: (0971) 815 089.
E-mail: cuevasdeldrach@cuevasdeldrach.com

TRANSPORTATION: Air: Palma de Mallorca Airport. Water: Boat: Services from Cala Ratjada, Canyamel, Cala Millor, Sa Coma and Sillot. Road: Car: The caves are located 1.5km (0.9 miles) south of Porto Cristo. Bus: Many hotels and resorts on the island offer a bus service to the caves.

OPENING TIMES: Daily 1045-1200 and 1400-1530 (Nov-Mar); 10001200 and 1400-1700 (Apr-Oct). Closed 1 Jan and 25 Dec.

ADMISSION FEES: €8.50 (adult), free (child under 7).

Hope this helps
To be honest, I preferred the Caves of Arta near Cala Millor to the Caves of Drach. IMO, just as good but far less crowded, no security men stopping you taking photos during the guided tour, no feeling of being herded around like livestock and a more picturesque setting with an impressive exit out of the cliffside. Here's a link to a previous discussion about both copied from the original HT forum.

http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/viewtopic.php?p=2814#2814

And here's a link to the Caves of Arta website

http://www.cuevasdearta.com/
Anyone visited the caves del Drach or the caves d'Arta around Cala Millor?
Are they worth a visit?
Also is it worth hiring a car for a day or two?
Is there much to see within 20 - 30 miles of Cala Millor?

We will be there for a week starting 31st May.

Thanks
The Caves of Drach are in Porto Cristo a littler further down the coast from Cala Millor. They are beautiful - I saw them at approx 8 years of age and can still remember them vividly now 25+ years later!

Can't comment on car hire side of things as have never done it or felt the need to.

Can't comment much on what there is to do within 20-30 miles as we usually stay within the resort (it's been easier for us till now with very young children), I guess the obvious places to visit are Manacor, pearl factories, glass factory on way to Palma if that sort of thing flicks your switch. We're going to try market at Son Severa this year and boat trip to Porto Cristo and Cala Ratjada .
Tisonlymoi,
Went to Son Severa market this time last week(Fri).
We were very impressed, alot better than Palma a 3 years ago!
Plenty of Looky Looky stalls but lots of others stalls too.
I bought a lovely tablecloth.
The food part was good! The fruit and veg looked fantastic,
the strawberries tasted very good :lol: I also bought some very smelly cheese.
Got a taxi which cost 4.5E each way from Cala Bona.

Also we must be about the same age as I too went to Caves of Drac when I was 8 aboiut 24 years ago!
I still have the pack of postcards from the caves!

We didn't hire a car this year as I needed to relax will do next year though :wink:
hi
we have been to Majorca twice and hired a car both times for 3 days each time. Its definitely worth it as you can see alot more and pay alot less than the tour companys charge for tours. We went to the caves of drach they are definitely worth visiting. When we went it was just before they changed to euros and the price for the excursion was 4,500 pstas per adult and 3,000 for a child, we went by car and found that the price was 1000 pstas each and they only charged us for our oldest child so 5 of us got in for 3000 pstas. Also worth a visit is Palma castle which only cost 1 euro at the time and the hairpin bends through the mountains between palma and soller (30 bends going up and 27 going down !!!) very high and lovely scenery. We drove all round the island and saw much more than we would have been able to by bus or paying extortionate trip prices. You could even go to Cap de Formentor very bendy narrow roads with sheer drops either side ( take some clean underwear !!!!!!!! ). Katherine
Hi
Thanks for all the good advice.
Will probably hire a car for a couple of days and do a bit of touring.
Will let you know if the caves are still as good!!
Well I have to say that I completely disagree with the majority of people who say that the Cuevas del Drach were awful - admittedly it was a few years ago that I went and it was off season so was very quiet which meant that there was no herding going on and the short 'concert' on the lake was very moving! I really thought it was lovely. Took the local bus from Cala Bona to (Porto Christo which is a lovely town) and walked up to the caves from the centre (although I think that the bus does actually go right up there but it was a nice walk!)
You are right the bus does go right up there for those who dont want to/cant walk.
Totally agree Porto Cristo is really lovely, definately worth a visit after/before the caves.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.