Holiday Complaints

Do you have a holiday complaint? For help and advice post in here.
Bit long but there is an interesting issue in there that deserves wider broadcast.

It's the compensation paid before you went. Basically you viewed the "late change" compensation as being for the late notice of the change - like you would! They seem to be saying that it is for the change of standard. I don't recall us ever getting one like thsi before and so can't think of any past cases to refer, it would be interesting in court. Did their T&Cs offered a cancellation with full refund option in the event of late change like this because if they are going to act like this that would be the better way out!

And which bit of the holiday wasn't covered by the car hire? You'd sort of expect to have it for both airport transfers so was it taken away in the middle? Very odd!

there was another complaint about the organisation side of Virgin fly drive holidays last week, is there a trend forming here? have they changed senior managers?
HubbyC,

Although as you said your post was a bit long, you succeeded in explaining the issues thoroughly.

Basically you viewed the "late change" compensation as being for the late notice of the change - like you would! They seem to be saying that it is for the change of standard.

I agree with that statement and would proceed on that principle. In my letter of complaint I would point that out clearly. I don't think you are being unreasonable or whinging and I hope you managed to enjoy your holiday in spite of the let down.
If the holiday was booked as a flydrive, with the accommodation being added on as an extra, the car will have been for 7 days only. Extra days/weeks have to be paid for.
Alternatively, if it was a package holiday (flight and accommodation) and the car was added on, the car hire is for the duration of the holiday.
I presume it was the flydrive that was booked in this instance, especially as the OP seems to know how much his villa at Windsor Hills was costing.
Many thanks for the replies and again apologies for it being so long just wanted to be accurate"¦ The £25pp refund is stated in their terms and conditions for a major change to the holiday and the wording we had did include accommodation as a major change. On the web site when we checked after the change, the holiday price for either location was the same so it was our preference and opinion that one was better than the other (and clearly is).

The holiday was booked through them on the internet in the section ‘complete holiday' which is actually the section above ‘flydrives' on their web site. Orlando villas are an accommodation choice but only on the final booking confirmation the words 'fly drive' are mentioned. We booked the flight out, villa, car and flight back with them all at the same time but the car was only allowed for 7 days which just seemed stupid. This was not covered in the ‘important notes' where some things like no guaranteed spa etc were, but the dates were shown on the booking under the car bit just not very noticeable and we never thought to expect they would be different, The invoice had the costs broken down so that is how we know what the costs of the individual parts were.. Just to add they sent me a letter explaining the car hire issue, stating that as we were in a location that had facilities such as communal pool, restaurant etc car hire wasn't essential as it was classed more as a resort. This may have been true was true for the first location but not the alternative they provided and any facilities there were closed anyway so in he end we had no choice but to have a car for the full duration.

To be honest i am unsure whether this is jsut very sloppy service of whether it is almost deliberately misleading to force these add on's after which to me doesn't really represent good practice"¦..
You make a very good point that the partial car hire would work with the advertised facilities of the original villa but not with the replacement. More weight to the argument that their compensation is completely inadequate.

The issue of the car only being for certain days is almost Ryanair style marketing! It's like saying the car's included but the seats are extra!! If you don't extend it for the full length do you have to take it back to the airport in the middle of the holiday?
If you don't extend it for the full length do you have to take it back to the airport in the middle of the holiday?

This was my query to them in the first instance and the answer was yes.. I would need to return the car to the airport after 7 days, then make my own arrangments to get back from the airport to the self catering villa for the rest of the holiday and again where we would have no transport for 7 days and then again neede to make our own arrangmenets to get back to the airport for the flight home (transfers not available)... If i had booked the flights, then added accomodation and then added car i could appreciate some discrpencies in date but we didnt and their website had this holiday listed under the 'complete holidays' section where it is still available for booking which it is obviously isnt and in our opinion very misleading...
Hi Hubby
I have been trying to find the 'complete holiday' section but I must be looking in the wrong place. Can you post a link please?
Hi, its on the main holiday booking page, first option on the left hand side..

https://www.virginholidays.co.uk

If you tick the complete holidays section and then from the drop down menus, Florida then florida homes that is the same route we booked on. Link to web page snap on image shack (again without www) in case you have any difficulties..

yfrog.com/nbvirginsitep
Hi, I did a dummy run for a villa in the complete holiday section. Chose random dates for 2 weeks and in my 'book holiday' section I got

Flydrive 349.00 2 698.00
ie 2 weeks.

In their info I also got:-

We've made settling in to your Orlando villa as easy as pie. You'll simply pick up your hire car and directions from the airport and make your way there. The following morning you'll enjoy a welcome meeting - a great chance to find out more about how to get the best out of your Orlando holiday (excludes guests staying at Regal Palms, Highlands Reserve or Lindfields Reserve).

But not sure if this is the type you booked.
Just had a quick mooch in "Complete Holidays", went into a Kissimee search (because that was already selected) and spotted something else that's "interesting". You are transferred from the airport to your accomodation by bus and the Dollar rep picks you up next morning to go and get the included car - fair enough. But there's a small note that the bus won't serve a number of the locations they sell. So your "Complete Holiday" at those places doesn't seem to include airport transfers! Even a cheap package to a Spanish costa normally includes transfers.
Yes we booked it that way.. but where you got
Flydrive 349.00 2 698.00

we got
Flydrive 417.00 4 1668.00

as it included 4 adults (3 kids also)

I used the same informaton as you to them saying that this was suppposed to be a comlete holiday booking and car hire should be included however on the booking the dates for the car are shown as less then the holidy. It is easier to see now as they have actually added the days in bold when they were not before but unless you were looking it is very easy to miss, especialy with a web site as it times out on us a couple of times and we had to re-enter all the details again so you do en dup rushing.....

Te annoying thing is that they have an area for 'important notes' which covered silly thing sin our no urantee of spa or LCD in every room etc and you had to tick it to confirm you had read it, yet no mention of the reduced car hire... Bit more imprtant i would have thought :que

I havent replied to Virgins last letter giving 15% of the villa cost back LESS the value of the free vouchers they offered as apology whilst we were there to the grand sum of £80...(which they have actually included a cheque for - again seems a bit bullish as though we have to take it)............. If we had booked the basic villa with no communal faciliy the web site shows it as being roughly £60/pp cheaper (4 adults 3 kids)... hmmmm

Thanks very mcuh for the replies, i havent ever had a reason to feel aggrieved like this before so wasnt sure if i was just over reacting or at fault if this was very much the norm...
I do not like Virgin's website. It is a nightmare as far as I am concerned.
I have just been doing a dummy booking also, and found that in the price breakdown box you have accommodation = price, flydrive = price, atol protection contribution = price etc.
I am confused, yet again, as any atol bonded holiday has to be sold at a complete price - ie no price breakdown.
I did a dummy booking too including putting fake names in and then got to this screen:

http://img294.imageshack.us/img294/2504/carscreen.jpg

which states that only 7 days car hire is included with an option to extend :que

Mark :)
To be honest, that is actually MUCH cleaner than it was when we booked it as it never actually mentioned anything about the '7 days car rental' which tey have now added and in bold.. All that was there before were the dates with no promp to increase or suggestiosn it was less so completely overlooked.. Here is a link to the original (add http to front of link)

://img227.imageshack.us/img227/1500/virginbookingintinary.png

We even upgraded the car for a bigger one whilst booking and still never noticed... This is probably what gets me the most is the lack of clarity almost seems deliberate to get you afterwards as i have been... :duh
I can see where it shows that the car hire end date isn't the same as the holiday end date. Also odd that under your return flight details it reminds you to drop off the car by 12:00 - a week earlier!

I edging towards saying the car issue is down to ineptitude by Virgins marketing/web design people rather than deception or Ryanair style practices. But your main problem is the change of villa and the problems that caused. If everything had been done promptly the refund they offer based on villa prices (on top of the late change payment already made) might have been OK but you seem to have wasted some of your holiday chasing them up and their offer doesn't cover that.
Not sure if this will help your case, probably not but I have been on three virgin holidays to Florida over the last 10 or 12 years (cant remember exactly) one of 21 nights duration one of 14 nights duration and one for 17 nights duration.

When selecting car hire Virgins website always seems to give you 7 days car hire and then you have to do a manual adjustment to the system telling them what day you want to return the car (and also what airport if you are doing a two centre or multi centre holiday ) - I think it is because they only automaticallt include 7 nights and then all extra nights are added on at extra cost and then you have the option to add on various different car insurance packages, should you so wish.

I think you may have probelms persuing this aspect as it has been like this for as long as I can remember. They may do this as unlike charter companys you can travel virtually any day Virgin Atlantic Fly and choose a holiday of any duration subject to availability, so not the standard 7,14,21 nights you would get with Thomas Cook, First Choice etc
All in all i tihnk the car issue is closed fo me. Regardless of how clear or unclear it is the dates were on the booking document which i accepted - its just annoying to feel caught out.

My biggest issue is their atitude to be honest their last letter with the best and final offer enclosing a cheque of £80 without even liasing with us. Almost a take this ang go away....

Cost wise, to book a standard villa with no facilites (based on 2011 costs) is roughly £340 cheaper than to go to the resort we were at with the facilities (shut for our visit). For a holiday that including park tickets worked out at £460/day for us all (4a 3k) all the messing about, chasing reps around, emailing etc to try and get moved to somewhere with facilites open £80.00 seems a bit poor... I also think they have a cheek deducting the lunch vouchers that the local rep gave us as an apology for messing us about....

I am gonna drop them another letter and will keep you posted of the outcome. Like everyone i would like to at least think i got value out of what i paid for which i dont at the moment, but more than that it would be nice for them to apologise, accept they were useless and should be more aware of what works are planned at facilties they are sending guests too, in our case only 5 week before we went there............

Rant over.. update you later....
I think you are right about the car i'm afraid. The other issues are really fair points so good luck with them and let us know how you get on. You certainly didn't get what you paid for.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.