General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Have you thought about trying Turkey? It's not in the euro so currently better value for money. Very similar to Greece in a way so you'd like it. A four hour flight and if you fly into Bodrum airport, the Bodrum peninsula, with a wide choice of resorts, is only 35km away.
Since you like Greece so much (so do I), Olympic Holidays have published their prices for next year. Flying from Bristol, there are several places in Rhodes and Symi at less than £400 for two weeks, including flights, ferries and s/c accommodation.

Yes, of course I've booked one.
Hi Gumbet Jakki,
Helen and her hubby normally holiday with us. We've booked Olu Deniz for next August but apart from not fancying the idea of Turkey, I think the heat in August will be too much for them (especially her hubby as he tends to struggle). We've been once before and I don't mind the extreme heat, well I put up with it for the sake of a great hol. Another thing that I know they will not like is the hassle. I know it's supposed to have got better but the bartering with the shack sellers in Dom Rep this year had sis stressed :D

I'm sure Helen will be watching this thread with interest.
How about a diy holiday? Book a no frills airline and an apartment from one of the many websites about. Owners direct is very good - we have used several times.

The Costa del Azahar in Spain is lovely - particularly Alcossebre or Las Fuentes. If you fly to Valencia it is about an hours drive, Barcelona about 2 1/2 hours drive and Reus about 2 hours. There is supposed to be a new airport at Castellon opening sometime (Spanish time!) which which make the journey only about 1/2 hour.

Also in Spain - we love the Northern Costa Blanca - last year we stayed in Cumbre del Sol near Moraira - fantastic views and a million miles away from the likes of Benidorm! So quiet. Some areas of Cumbre are very high so would always benefit from having a breeze and not being too hot. You can fly to Valencia or Alicante.

For Greece - we loved Samos - beautiful scenery and peaceful. Difficulty is that some airlines have pulled out of there so choice is somewhat limited.

Hope this is of some help.

Pippa
try bulgaria we stayed at the riu helios bay in obzor
cheap price and a lovely village :sun2
Pat :cheers
Helen- what about corfu? I dont know what month you are wanting to go: A couple of friends of ours are in a similar situation as you- and have found a great deal to corfu for 12 july next year: 2 weeks sc, for their local airport- inc extra baggage, and flight meals. £675 for both of them- that was with olympic.The accomodation is cheap and chearful- but as long as they have their 2 weeks in the sun they are not bothered!

Have a look on their website- you may get a holiday even cheaper if you are wanting to go earlier/later.

Ps We have also booked to go to corfu- its a lovely place.

Belly
Hi Bellybally,
I've recommended Corfu to them as we've been twice and loved it. I think she will possibly consider this providing the price is right. I think it will all depend on the way the Euro goes. I'm answering on Helen's behalf as she's away for the weekend but she'll be back with all her comments sometime on Monday.
Helen, If you like it quiet you might consider Fuerteventura , TC have some good prices for 2 weeks in early July (7th) from Bristol and Cardiff.
We also like Lanzarote, relaxing but not too quiet and from my visits never gets too hot either.

Something to think about and hope this is of some help.
I'd like to add that Helen will only be able to travel during school holidays as she works in a school. This is why cheapie hols are such a challenge!
Here's the cheapest I could find for Greece

Thomas Cook - Aug 20th to Corfu or 21st to Kos price about £350pp
Portland - Aug 20th to Zante price £405pp. for 14 nights.
Those look like excellent prices Cazb. I'm sure Helen will be interested in finding out more.
Thanks for your suggestions everyone. I'm just starting to think about it now. I'm a long way from booking anything yet - just thought I'd have some recommendations from you lot first. I can always depend on you all. What I did before I found HT I don't know. ;)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.