General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
check in times
20 Posts
I strongly suggest that you check in at the time you are asked to do so by the airline.

From what I understand, if you don't check in on time, you might loose any compensation you are entitled to if, for example, the flight was to be delayed. The airline might even sell your ticket if not checking in on time.

Mark :D
Lots of your time will be spent queueing for and passing through security. Bring plenty of patience!
Is it not the case that following 9/11, Check In times are being increased from two to three hours?
Actually I think you are allowed up to 1 and a half hours before!!!
This is the LAST check in time and NOT the time you should join the queue!!!
I always get there about 3 hours before the flight - even if the tickets say 2 hours. We like to get rid of our luggage and have a nice meal at the airport and a wander round the shops. It starts the holiday off nicely. I often find there is no queue when you get there 3 hours before, but if you arrive 2 hours before then the queue is painfully long :wink:
For holiday flights a lot of your time is spent queueing so maybe they have increased to 3 hours just to give people a bit more time. Check in desks close half an hour before the flight departure time but you are running a risk of being too late if you plan to arrive that bit later. We've all seen the Easyjet docusoaps haven't we?

I don't know if a lot of holiday firms are doing the same thing but we flew with First Choice this year and all FC flights were in one large queue - there wasn't a separate check in desk or desks for each flight departing that morning. The queues went down quickly, but if you were to arrive a little late you might be cutting it a bit fine.
I do get there 3 hours before, per the tickets, since I quite enjoy being at the airport and getting the holiday started! I would also hate to run the risk of being late if anything happened on the way there - don't want any extra stress! However, I have been to Cyprus and Majorca this year, and on both trips, despite getting there 3 hours before, the check in desk actually opened 2 hours before departure. Still, we were almost at the front of the queue. :lol:
It is not usually too bad in our airports here as they do tend to open the check in desks more than 2 hours in advance - some airlines have desks manned all day.

However we have found that on your return most desks do not open until 2 hours before. In February when we returned from Majorca with Air Berlin (a superb airline) there was a priority check in desk open even though the others were not. I just asked if we could check in there and the chap was happy to oblige. When we came back in May the priority desk was not manned and the normal desks opened exactly 2 hours before departure.

Being one who likes to be organised and ready well in advance we usually get to the airport 3 hours before departure - ok, so you may have to wait a while for desks to open but at least you are there. Better that than leaving it to the last minute and then getting stuck in traffic or the car breaking down etc.

Allow plenty of time then you won't get stressed out worrying.

Pippa
The booking confirmation or ticket documentation may show a recommended check-in, a minimum/latest check-in, or both. Obviously it's a matter of choice, convenience and seat preferences whether you adhere to the recommended check-in.

But if you don't adhere to the minimum/latest check-in, perhaps even missing it my just a couple of minutes, you may find that the desk has closed or has been allocated to another flight departure and you will be denied boarding, even if your scheduled departure time is still an hour or more away.

In your case laudan, if the documentation is not clear, then you may be best verifying whether the time you are looking at is the recommended check-in and if so, find out then what is their minimum/latest check-in. Your own previous experiences or those of others may not apply in this case, as different airlines and operators have different rules and minimum check-in times.

David :wave
3 hours before departure is generally when the check-in desks open. It can be earlier, it can be later. I aim to be at the airport at least three and a half to four hours before check-in time.
This year our party (4) have been informed that we can ckeck-in 90 mins before departure, but that is because we have pre-booked seats. From experience, the earlier you get to the desks, the more chance you have of getting a specific seat ie window, ailse, seats together for a family or front or back of plane dependent on preference.
Even if it means spending some time in the airport, I prefer to get the luggage checked in and out of my way rather than shuffling forward in a line of suitcases loosing the skin of my ankles. :)

Andy.
we always head up to the airport at least 3 hours to departure. I would hate to be sitting on a flight no matter how short not beside my husband (im not the best flyer)

I like to be at the front of the queue and get checked in and know you are on your way to your holidays!!

I hate coming back waiting on the coach and sometimes being the last to get to the airport. I am a nervous wreck then!
because we live so close to Donny airport, the last 2 times we have been away it has said on our tickets we can check in just 1 hour before. We never do tho' we are always there about 3 hours before we need to fly as for us it is part of the holiday ( the check in, the monster cooked breakfast, the wander round the shops etc).

Also, when flights have been delayed at Donny, as long as people have not gone through to the departure lounge, they are allowed to go home and come back again if they live close enough ( i know people who have done that) but again, even tho' we live on the doorstep, we would not do that.

another reason the check in time can be 3 hours before is that if everyone has checked in early and there is an air slot, the flight can take off early ( this happened on a flight to Rhodes.. it took off over an hour early.. most unusual for Donny!)
Thanks for all the replies.
We have a 10 oclock flight time with about an hour travel to the airport which meant we could leave at about 7 a.m. which to us is a great time to go. If we go 3 hours before we will have to leave at about 6 and we are not very lucky with flights, we are nearly always delayed. My husband and son (as long as hes got his psp) dont mind sitting by themselves but my daughter would need to sit with an adult. We will probably chicken out and get there in plenty of time. Theres not alot to do at Newcastle airport for 3 hours (or for how ever long we are delayed for)!!!!!!
it took off over an hour early.. most unusual for Donny!)

Never heard of at Manchester !!! :lol:
In May we went to Crete flying from Manchester. We set off with time to spare until we realised we had forgotten something important.

My false teeth, but that is another story.

We had to go back. Now it was in the very early hours but it still takes time. Traffic cameras did not help.

All our plans went askew and we were the last to check in before they closed the desk.

It does not matter what the check in time is - if you have a problem on the way you can have a problem when you get to the airport.

We always try to get there a bit early. If we had set off later then it would have been case of miss the plane or go without my teeth - It is only a small top plate by the way.

fwh
Does anyone know how early First Choice open their check in desks at Bristol please ?
Hi just got back from Salou today. In the end we decided to get to the airport 3 hours before, check in was not even open. We waited in the Q and as they passed us our seat numbers we were told we were 90 minutes delayed, 4 1/2 hours in the airport for a 2 hour 20 minute flight!!!!!!
On the was back for some reason our flight took off 40 minutes early.
we are travelling with mytravel this time, never usually use these, but they insist on a 3 hour check in, and the latest is 90 mins.

As there are 5 of us who want to sit together, and one child who has never flown before we will get there for the 3 hours to make sure we get a row of 3 seats with 2 behind. So in the row of 3 we can have the 3 boys, then me and hubby behind them to keep an eye on them!!!!

The child who has never flown before was also sick on a boat a couple of months ago, so I shall sit with him for take off, just to take care of him, just in case!!!!! Then he can swap and sit with my 2 boys for the rest of the flight.
Had an email from Easyjet this morning - it was basically going over the current requirements for luggage etc., but it also stated that now all Easyjet flight check ins are open 3 hours before take off as standard and 'tend' to close 40 minutes before.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.