Thailand Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Thailand.
Chiang Mai
4 Posts
Chaing-Mai feels a bit like a small Bangkok, plenty of temples to visit(especially Wat Doi Suthep), a vast night market, well established craft industries - its a great place to buy furniture and have it shipped home.

The best thing I find about the area is is the surrounding countryside and the cooler climate (still hot by UK standards). Its used by many as a staging post for visiting hill tribes and trekking, both on foot and by elephant, in the countryside. Hotel prices are very reasonable..except of course you are looking at the Mandarin Oriental which along with the Four Seasons in the area is at the top end of the Market. Four Seasons do a tented camp as well if you fancy some alternative luxury.

We tend to stay outside the city these days when we visit, just so we can enjoy the countryside and make the odd trip in to the city for a meal and the night market. However most people will choose to stay in the city. Don't know the Mandarin Oriental myself though have stayed at other hotels in the chain in other parts of Asia and can vouch for their quality.
It just looks very authentic from pictures very Thai I guess, if you understand what I mean? Which I very much like the look of! Well definately a place to consider I think!! Plus I very much like the look of the elephant trekking :D
I found Chiang Mai to be very interesting. Particularly liked the huge night market , the amazing sightseeing, and good restaurants.
We spent a very long day on a trip to the Golden Triangle and it was well worth doing although it probably took approx 14 hours.
Closer to Chiang Mai itself there is the Mai Sa valley where there are many elephant camps and the scenery is beautiful.
Another must see is the temple on top of Doi Suthep (I think it's spelt like that) the views from up there are stunning.
Also rafting and visiting the hilltribes are worth doing although I would recommend trying to find a guide who will take you to a the very remote black hmong tribes as I found the other tribe villages to be commercial along with souvenir stalls etc

All in all I would recommend Chiang Mai and would probably try to do 4 nights as we did 3 but I felt as though it was too rushed.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.