Germany, Benelux and Northern Europe Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Germany, Benelux and Northern Europe.
Not quite in Germany but Salzburg and Innsbruck have decent markets and enough around them to fill the time and both have cheap flights.

Munich was massive when I went but for some reason very badly served by cheap flights except from London.

One of the bonuses of the above three is that you have half a chance of being able to have a day in the mountains in the snow, which makes it more Christmassy!

easyjet seem to be pulling out of Cologne at the end of this season but if you're close to London you can get there for a similar price by Eurostar by booking through German Rails UK office (and getting the shopping back will be easier!).

One thing to watch is that in some places the market may only be on at weekends and some close down up to a week before Christmas (maybe the stall holders want to get their shopping done!).
Everyone has their favourites. But if you want to combine history and Christmas markets, you can't do better than Regensburg (fly to Munich or Nuremberg - Air Berlin from Stansted). As well as the main markets in the old centre, there is also the magical market in the Thurn & Taxis chateau, very close to the centre of town. Lit by candles, with craftsmen 'live' it really has a touch of the middle ages. And Regensburg - a UNESCO World Heritage Site - has history enough for anyone.
We went to Berlin just before Christmas, there are over 50 Christmas markets there, it was very Christmassy. And the lights were fantastic!

Would definitely go back...........
Berlin without a doubt. What an amazing city!! Have been the last 2 Christmases and loved it. 4 days will be filled no problem especilly with all the other sights to see as well. Checkpoint Charlie, Berlin Wall, The Reichstag, Jewish Museum, and the wonderful Under der Linden and all the lovely lights on it, looking down to the Brandenburg Gate. Don.t forget to go up to the revolving restaurant/bar at the top of the TV tower at Alexanderplatz, especially at night. :tup
I'd have to disagree about Berlin - plenty of good reasons for visiting, but Christmas markets is not one of them - they are scattered and lack focus and (IMV) atmosphere.

But it does depend on what you are looking for - a Christmas Market should:

be in the central historic market square
be overlooked by the Cathedral and/or Town Hall

My two favourites are Dresden (for a large one) and Trier (on a small scale). But there are many others
Berlin has over 50 Christmas markets, large and small - there is one there to suit everyone. As Berlin is a city it does not really have an old town square but you will find a market overlooked by the Kaiser Wilhelm Church. The best one in my opinion was at Gendermenmarkt where they had heated tents for you to sit and eat the food from the market - even had candelabras on the table! And the stalls sold a wide variety of items and crafts, not the usual mass produced tat you usually find.
Haven't been to the Berlin market but friends have told me that it didn't have the same atmosphere as the ones that were more centralised in one area. Most city's in Germany have what could be described as an old town square and this is usually where the market is held. It's just a matter of opinion though, I was really disappointed with the Munich one, I went just before Christmas 2007 and wished I had stayed at home. Though there is lots to see and do in Munich I wouldn't go there specially for the market.
Well if you go to Berlin for the markets and you want a centralised atmosphere then take the train to Spandau. Their market is around the church with a manger scene and live animals around it. Just beautiful!!!!
As it's finally got warm enough for me to take my coat off it it must be time to start thinking about Christmas Market trips!!

If anyone else is in the same mind I've found a directory for many of this year's German (and some other countries) markets at http://www.weihnachtsmarkt-deutschland.de

the site is only in German but the dates and times are pretty obvious. The list at the bottom of the page is new entries and alterations, for the main lists select a State from the left margin menu. There are some notable omissions at present, like Cologne and Munich city centres but it's a start!
I have spent many xmas holiday in Berlin, Cologne and south germany too and every time I have had a lot of fun. Berlin at Christmas time is romantic but there is so much to see and do and the markets make it really xmassy and means you canhave gluwein all day to warm up ;)
Read all the posts but the best is to stay in Bad Harzburg and se the festival of light they also have a market then go to Hamburg and the town of Brunswick for xmas markets FANTASTIC enjoy your trip
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.