Algarve/Portugal/Madeira/Azores Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Algarve
.............bet he didn't realise he was " wired for sound" when he swore. :oops:
Well, I'm loathe to admit it on an open forum, but we are having Cliff's rose tonight with our barbie! Let's just hope it's as good as we thought it was when we had the tasting at the Adega do Cantor a few months ago!! Usually we don't touch the stuff, preferring a full-bodied red or a Sauvignon Blanc. Mr Roseweb considers rose a "girlies' drink", but it was he who suggested we buy a case of it to drink in the sun in Portugal (and, of course, on days like today in the UK).

:gluck ENGLAND!!
Somehow it's never the same back over here. It's got to have something to do with the holiday mood ( and perhaps constant sunshine for two or three weeks helps as well.) :sun

Boa sorte PORTUGAL :gluck
Wired for sound? Jeez that was bad Sagres.
Cant say too much about wine.
I drink Vino Verde in Portugal at 1.29 euros a litre. :)
I drink Vino Verde in Portugal at 1.29 euros a litre

You can get some cheap stuff as well if you know where to look !!!! :rofl
Anyone wanting to try Cliff's wine, i got mine in Sainsburys and it was on offer. I have been told Tesco sell it too
Sagres, the LIDL near Praia do Vau was selling Portuguese red, white and rose wines for 0.35 Euro a litre last week. Cheap enough? :D
That's not wine, it's anti-freeze !! They sell it cheap 'cos it never freezes over there !!! :rofl
Jeez and I thought 1.29 euros was cheap. :(
Monte Velho is relatively cheap, about 2.49 in Modelo and i think its a nice wine. The lidls cheapie @ 31 cents is in brick pack cartons and is a good laxative if you need it. I Like the Alentejo region wines especially the reds All the wine is cheap compared to UK, never tried the cliffie wine but theres still time. cheers Jayjan
:yikes, jayjan, don't tell everybody about the Monte !!!! :zip
Sorry Sagres, in fact I would hate to go in Modelo to find they are out of stock on the Monte, shall keep mouth shut in future & push the Vino Verde instead, then i suppose mad mick would be on mi back if he cant replenish his supplies, hahaha. Jayjan
But back on the subject i think Roseweb is the expert on Cliffies wine cos shes been to the vineyards with Mr Roseweb. Jayjan
It's a very new venture and they are learning as they go along, but Cliff is apparently very serious about it and wants the wine to be of high quality with a good reputation. At the tasting we liked the 2004 red, but the 2003 was rubbish. There are three small vineyards and the Adega do Cantor is situated on the one owned by Nigel Birch, who admitted that they were very much at the beginning of a steep learning curve with their 2003 vintage. But as I said above we were surprised how much we liked the rose, probably best drunk with lunch in the sun! We weren't so keen on the Reserva but bought a couple of bottles to keep for a year or two and will give it another try then.

So has anyone else been on the tour or bought any of the wines here or in Portugal?
Hi roseweb,
I tried the Vida Nova red the first time I saw it on sale, so I suppose it would have been the 2003, and I wasn't impressed at all.From what you say,they were just learning then, but it's a shame they didn't reflect this in the price because,as I remember, I was tempted to buy two bottles of Monte instead which would mean that the Vida Nova would have cost €5+ even then.
Jay Jan don't tell anyone about the Vinho Verde. Take no notice of Sagres, from what I gather he normally drinks Dandelion and Burdock anyway. :)
That's libellous !!! :shock: :tut
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.