Disabled Person Holiday Discussions

Are you disabled or know someone who is? What are your experiences of hotels and resorts as a disabled person?
My first thought was to check their website http://www.washearings.com , but that is so badly designed and takes so long to load I gave up (I'm not on Broadband).

So I tried the short cut of asking Google to search the site for the words disabled, disability or wheelchair. Google says none of the words appear anywhere on the site. This is not a good omen (or may be just more evidence of how bad the site is) because you would assume that a company that prided itself on the service it gives would mention it on the site!

So, more general thoughts. You say you can only walk a short distance but how are you at climbing steps? I've never seen a Shearings coach with a wheelchair lift and you would have expected that if they had recently spent £200,000 each for new suitable vehicles it might have merited a mention on the site. There will be a lot of climbing on and off, in fact unless you sart in Kent you may even have to change coaches. Then there's the ferry, which is probably better to get around once you get off the coach but would need to be confirmed - you wouldn't want to be stuck on the car deck for the voyage!

The Little Trains themselves will also require a bit of clambering on and off, the stations will not have same height platforms (even most Austrian mainline stations lack those!). Because I never managed to get the holiday details to load I'm not sure which stations you would use but actual distance from bus to train shouldn't be a problem at Jenbach, Mayrhofen or Zell.

I've a colleague who was in Niederau last autumn so will ask her about local conditions but in general there are two types of footpaths in Austria - either smooth tarmac or small blocks/tiles. However, in villages like Niederau and older parts of bigger towns they may be very narrow and seldom have dropped kerbs. Some old streets may be cobbled which won't be good for pushing the chair and of course, this being the Alps it won't be flat!

The Shearings site did feature something which may be an alternative - flying out to join a tour (don't know whether it's available for the Little Trains). It might sound more hassle but the airlines are geared up for wheelchairs and it would save all the clambering on and off coaches en route. Salzburg Airport would be very good as there is hardly any distance and I don't remember any change in level. Another thing that may be useful is that Shearings took over Wallace Arnold and I seem to remember them running some tours with Executive coaches with bigger seats giving extra legroom and fewer passengers. If these are still available it could make things easier.

I do know that Shearings do have a good reputation for general organisation and service, and they handle you luggage for you once you check in.
Thanks for your help. I have seen a Shearings coach and should be able to get on ok. I have also managed to contact Shearings help line and they have told me that they have taken quite a few wheelchair users and that they have managed to get them all onto the trains. As I can walk a little and can manage the steps if I go slowly I think I should be able to manage. I emailed the hotel that they use and they have told me that they have ground floor room with showers that they use for wheelchair users and as long as I tell Shearings that I need one when I book
I'd have confidence in Shearings staff and hotels if you reckon you can manage getting on and off the bus. The only niggle would be the ferry (I assume they are still using that rather than the Eurotunnel shuttle). I'd hope that these days there would be a lift from the car deck but will there be space between the vehicles to wheel you to it - they do tend to pack them in. Or do they unload everyone at the harbour terminal and take you onto the ferry via the pedestrian route?

If there is an overnight stop en route is that hotel accessible?

Simple questions they could have been answered on their website, do point that out to them!!
Personally I find ferry staff to be very helpfull. I'm taking my scooter on the Hull-Zeebrugge ferry and they are excellent.

Patka
I forgot to mention, Niederau is covered - in English -by Wildschönau council's tourism website here.
I am going to book this holiday, will post message to let you know how we got on when we return. Thanks for your replys.
my parents have been with Shearings to Austria. They loved it. :)
hi you should have no problems on a shearings holiday if you are in a wheelchair as long as you tell them when booking. there is a lift on all the ferries and the drivers are very friendly and more than wiling to help people with any disabilities. The company also has a special needs department and the staff are very very good.
that's good to hear.

But it just shows how lack of information can make a disablility worse, it wouldn't have taken them much to mention it on their own site.

I hope bph mentions this if they send a feedback form!

Have a good tour, I hope it avoids the football in Innsbruck at the end of June!
We have just returned from a Shearings Austrian All Inclusive Holiday, had a really nice time. Nothing was too much trouble for driver or staff at Hotel Alexander in Kirchberg. We arrived at our pick up point early and the coach arrived a few minutes later and as we were the only ones to be collected left early for next pick up, we got as far as Duxford (M11) when the coach water pipe broke, the driver managed to get us to a service area, where he arranged for two taxis to take us and three other passengers to meet another coach about an hour and half drive. All of this was done while we sat and had a cup of tea. When we got to Dover we were met by our driver to Austria, who was on call the whole time we were there. We had a large room with plenty of room for the wheelchair, but as there was a lift almost to our room we did not need to take it up and the hotel staff let us leave it on ground floor in a lobby. Kirchberg was a lovely place for wheelchair users, not only were the hotel staff really helpful, but if we wanted to cross the road, the cars stopped and waved us across as soon as they saw the wheelchair. We also managed to do all of the excursions including going up in a ski lift, the operators slowed it so that my husband could get on and of easily. This was one of the nicest holidays we have had and for the first time we were sorry to have to come home. I am a vegetarian and often find it difficult to find meat free meals but on the only night that there was only meat or fish on the menu I was asked at breakfast what I would like for dinner and it was cooked for me. This was a holiday for me as a carer as well as my husband, as everyone really helped, and I nearly didn't book it as I was worried about travelling with the wheelchair, if Shearings put more details on there web site I am sure more disabled people would enjoy their holidays. I am already looking to book our next holiday with them.
I'm glad you went for it and it worked out! Don't forget to tell them that a little bit more info in the brochure or website might be an idea for next year.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.