Spain - Canary Islands - Gran Canaria Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Gran Canaria.
Hi Shazajo,
I'm afraid they are there all year round, I also hate the dam things (my son takes great delight in watching me squirm when watching an Indiana Jones film LOL) that's another story........anyways I only ever saw one in our apartment last year and he went for a swim down the loo.
I was told by an Australian that they (the bugs not Ozzies) hate cucumbers......and the skin poisons them...maybe that's why they stayed away, well it seemed to work......don't know......most hotels etc will give you a spray should you need one........or go to your local DIY store before coming away.....although best to check with airline or travel company about packing it in your luggage.
Just plain old common sense, which i am sure you have plenty of is to keep all your food and drink in the fridge.
Hope that helps
We went in November last year for 2 weeks

we only saw 3 all the time we were there ALL outside ALL DEAD

Cockroaches like dark warm places with easy food so
clean up throughly after you've eaten
don't leave crumbs on the floor

You may find more problems with ants but they are easier to stop with ant stripes (you know the thin sticky line of ant dus you can put down around doorways)
Its alot better than it used to be, the town council flush the drains more often and clean up alot better and the little blighters find it harder to stay around. That said we do still have them and they start reappearing now and until about october and sadly that is the price we pay for the fantastic weather. They are easy to control, as already said try not to leave food and stuff out. Sugar, best off in the fridge and clean up stick messes. You can get zillions of different sprays here in the local supermarkets, Baygon (in a green can) tends to be best. if you see one just spray till it stops wiggling! :yikes you can also get traps and things. Try not to worry about them too much and im sure you ll have a wicked time
Thanks Neil the beaver

I will look out for the green tin ;) I just shake and worry when I see them, I know i'm stupid just cant stand the things, my partner says no wonder the kids are scared of spiders etc they see me squirm

Thanks again and yes we will try and have a wicked time ;)
Mrs Beaver is just as bad i had to come home in the middle of work cos there was a great big mean and nasty life threatening....... :yikes moth in the house!!!! :rofl so you can imagine her reaction to the little beasties. Cockroaches nowt to worry about its the timeshare roaches that are worse!
NeilTheBeaver wrote:
You can get zillions of different sprays here in the local supermarkets, Baygon (in a green can) tends to be best.

That's the stuff a certain Big man (Gazza) recommended to us but we didn't need it but just been sorting out our caravan for our little trip to Spain and found we've got some we bought in France last year so it's pretty widely available
:yikes a friend of mine was telling me that the hotter it is in the canaries the more cockroaches there are, we are off to PR in september and i'm worrying more than ever now as the time is getting closer, I really have a bad phobia for these and if I see one I will run like hell, i'm going to buy the spray when we get over there and spray everywhere

I think what has made me worry more is that I heard they can fly and if you have long hair they can fly over you and lay there eggs on your head :yikes

Is there anything else that I can do to stop these even venturing into our apartment? please say there is
They are native to here and you do see them everywhere but if your worried then spray your doorways and then they tend not to come in.
we were in gc in january few years ago and i was sitting by the door when SOMETHING flew past my ear, :omg imagine my reaction when i saw it was a cockroach, not nice creatures but i suppose they dont do us any harm, just not nice things to see.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.