Holiday Complaints

Do you have a holiday complaint? For help and advice post in here.
Did you take any photos or video? Did you get a complaint form in resort? Did you get the complaint form signed by the rep?
If you have any of these then you have a very strong case!
She said that paying for a sea view doesnot guarantee a sea view and that to pay for an apartment doesnot guarantee an apartment!

Requesting a seaview doesn't guarantee one, paying for one ought to.

For that reason, I recommend you speak to Travel Law Solicitor Ros Fernihough who has in the past helped some of our members.

Tel :- 01922 621114

Mark :D
Yes, I did take photos (10 in all), which I have submitted to Thomson with the complaint - they appear to be ignoring them. I wasn't informed about a Complaint form by the rep, so didn't fill one in, which is probably a huge mistake really.

We definitely paid for the seaview (£104), which I somewhat naively presumed would guarantee one. The rep argued (whilst in resort) that being able to see the top of the sunshades on the beach constituted a seaview.
Ooooooooo things like this really make my blood boil.

You'll have you're invoice stating what you booked ie 1 bedroomed apartment not a 3 bedded studio apartment. What does it say?

Sea view should read partial if it's a snippet in the corner after hanging out your window with an angled mirror :roll:

Out of curiosity and so that we can view these sumptuous rooms what's the accommodation called?

As Mark has suggested above Ros is definitely the way forward, she will offer you free advice.
I would definately be wanting my £600 back for the extras you paid for :x does your booking confirmation show that you had booked an apartment and sea view and any breakdown in cost. are thomson still selling these apartments in the same way and do you have a copy of the brochure that you booked from as this may help.
As mark suggests please do ring ros . she will give you expert advice and let you know if you have a case which I certainly hope you do.

lyn
I think with photos and your invoice stated what you paid for that you would have a cast iron case. Contact Ros asap. In the meantime, just to satisfy our curiosity- where did you stay?
also I wouldn't accept anything other than a full refund of the £600!!!
Disgusting!!!
Its a pity you didn't make a written complaint in the resort. Once you had stated what was wrong with the accommodation the rep would of had to signed it as well. I would go for more than just the £600 you paid on top of the £1400 price of the holiday, claim for loss of enjoyment as well. Assumed you paid extra for the 1 bed apartment so you and your wife had some privacy when dressing.

This is very bad and the resort will have records which room you stayed in. Rejecting your complaint is a tatic thomson have hopiing you will just give up. Don't bother with abta they are travel and tour op members club. Talk to ros and take them to the small claims court.

The rep and her manager should be sacked.
Somewhat surprisingly I would go back to the hotel (Sun Beach Hotel, Ialyssos, Rhodes), as it was really nice - apart from this room problem. It was very noticeable that most British people had travelled there independently. Please don't think that the hotel was bad - it wasn't. It was in a great position, the pool was good and the staff could not have been more helpful - it was the Thomson rep that was the unhelpful one. She even said that she could obtain an apartment for us if I paid a further supplement which I absolutely refused to pay.

The booking confirmation states ' 1 bedroom apartment (sleeps 2-4 people) with sea view and cot space', whilst the brochure page (which I have retained) states 'One bedroom apts have twin bedroom & 2 built-in beds' neither of which was present in our room. Interestingly the brochure page says 'Studios for 2 to 3 adults have 3 twin beds' which sounds more like our room.

Thanks for the all the advice. I've spoken to Trading Standards who recommend that I send another letter to Thomsons badgering them, giving them 7 days to sort it out or risk being taken to the County Court to retrieve my money. If I don't get any joy from this letter I'll be in touch with Ros.
good luck, it certainly sounds as if you have a good case , you should at the very least get a full refund for sea view and apt you clearly didnt get. this sort of thing really winds me up when you pay for something you dont get , didnt you show the rep your invoice whilst there showing that you should have had an apt with sea view not a cellar studio room. i was shocked to hear that the rep told you paying for a sea view and apt doesnt guarantee it , that seems very wrong to me, i know when you make request for low floor, quiet room etc that doesnt guarantee it but when you pay extra it should definitely guarantee it , she obviously isnt a very good rep and sound like she needs retraining to me. keep us informed what happens
I agree. Don't let it drop. You paid for something that you didn't get. You paid for an apatment with a sea view, and got a studio without a sea view so you are due a refund.

Pursue it through Ros her number is on the site.

It seems so unfair that you have to go through a solicitor to get what you are entitled to. Travel companies rely on people not bothering as it all seems like too much trouble once you get home, that how they get away with things.

Good Luck, Doe
Although getting a reps report in resort is a huge help, in this case I don't think that they have a leg to stand on.

You booked and paid for a sea view apartment. For sure you should have your supplement back.

I'm a rep and if you had been one of my guests I would have moved you to the correct room ASAP. It is clear on our paperwork what the guests have booked, room/view type etc etc so I can't understand why your rep behaved this way. Why should you pay again? She is very wrong, booking and paying for a sea view does guarantee it, if one is not available and there is no way to move you to a SV room during your stay, you should be recompensed.

Stay firm on this. Don't send the originals of anything, keep copies of all correspondance and be clear and concise in your letters. Don't bother complaining about the mozzies tho. Its a non starter!

Louby
HI.
I agree that you should definitely get more than the £6oo back. In fact regardless of sea view or not, you paid for a 1 bedroom apartment which usually costs more than a Studio anyway (especialy as they probably added on an under occupancy suplement). Don't let them fob you off however long it takes. Good Luck!
This company are in breach of contract. If you have an invoice which states that you booked and paid for a 1 bedroom apartment as well as paying a supplement for a sea view then they have not provided what you paid for and in law they are wrong.

The fact that the Rep. ignored you and you should have got a written report from her the hotel will confirm the accommodation you were given. My Daughter about 4 years ago went to the small claims court as she had booked a Villa in the resort of their choice a4 bedroomed with 3 bathrooms.
They knew before she left that this villa was not available and yet they didn't inform her. They were given a 3 bedroom villa out in the sticks and with only 2 bathrooms and a broken door lock a broken washing machine etc. They tried to get this villa changed but the rep said nothing else was available.
The rep told First Choice they were offered another Villa which was a downright lie. Firstly she wrote to complain they offered her £600 then they offered £1000. She asked for all their money refunded plus compensation. In the end just before it went to court they offered them £2700 and was told this was their BEST offer for now.
In the end they got a total refund of £3200 + £600 compensation. Without going to court. She would have enjoyed it as she has a law degree. The holiday was a disaster as her Inlaws were with them and there was a lot of friction as her FIL would not drive so they all had to go out using the 2 cars etc. They could not go out in the evenings for a meal as they had to get a taxi there and back so did so only once. ie. without the children when her In laws looked after the children. Julie felt it was all her fault as she had booked the holiday. It was also the inlaws first time abroad and so it put them off. The holiday Company asked for photo's of the holiday but Julie told them they would only get them if the Court ordered her to do so.

In the end a fantastic result don't be intimidated by them and remember whatever they offer you NEVER accept the first offer!

Good luck

Sue
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.