Holiday Complaints

Do you have a holiday complaint? For help and advice post in here.
First comment: you have not stated what you want in your letter. Do you want compensation? An apology? Just a '"whinge"?

Always state what you want them to do.

Mark :)
Our holiday was completely ruined,

Why?

OK - some small problems and issues, but a ruined holiday?
i agree, not a ruined holiday but the usual little problems you always get in foreign countries. :que
It just sounds like a not particularly good hotel, for which you should post a review on the review page accordingly, to warn others. Did you read reviews of this hotel before you went?
It amazes me what some people feel constitutes being worthy of complaint! I imagine the original poster had very high expectations of this hotel and indeed they agree that their first week was great with good service. The 'problems' described are somewhat normal for most travellers (though I concede I wouldn't have been thrilled about someone given our room keys!).

I really cannot see what could be done by Thomson - you surely can't expect compensation because you've already seen the in flight movies or because there were crumbs on the aircraft seat! If the plane had had a full clean to remove the crumbs and pick up the offending eye mask, you would have had a flight delay to add to your list of 'problems'!

To my mind a 'ruined holiday' is caused by cancelled holidays, long flight delays, hurricanes, a change of hotel on arrival or major facilities not being available.

Not surprised they were given the fob off letter :rofl

Rant over
Personally I think I would have got my husband to have actually gone down to reception and asked for some towels rather than make so many phone and then have to wait.

Out of interest what sort of reviews does this hotel get?

Pippa
I'm at a loss to understand what you expect from Portland on the basis of what sound like a series of minor incidents:

1) A previous passenger had thoughtlessly thrown their eye mask on the floor and dropped a few crumbs on their seat and the cabin staff hadn't spotted this. In such circumstances I think I'd have probably just brushed the crumbs on the floor and left the mask where it was. Or if it boterhed me, picked it up and given it to one fo the bacin crew to dispose of.

2) You'd seen the films and there weren't enough head sets for everybody - but presumably you got some? One always has to take the chance on the films - generally I find that I've seen the good ones all ready and can't be bothered about those that were never good enough to tempt me to go and see them when they first hit the cinemas in the first place.

3) The picture quality was bad - but is it ever good? It can never compare to what you'll see in a cinema or on your own TV

4) On the way back you had hand held systems - what is the problem with this? Was the picture quality even worse or is it just the you objected to having to hold it?

5) You complained about not being allowed to board before other passengers - and then you were as a result of complaining. What is there now to complain about? You did board first.

6) You got in the Jacuzzi before realising that there were no fresh towels and you preferred to sit in it for 90mins and go down to dinner late rather than have your husband just go along and collect some for you. An awkward situation if you'd been in the room on your own but you weren't - your husband would have saved you the time and inconvenience if he'd been prepared to go down to reception - why wasn't he?

7) The manager sent you some champagne up to the room but you didn't regard this as an apology?
8) You sat and seethed because you weren't offered coffee rather than attracting the attention of the waiting on staff and asking for some? Restaurants can get busy - what is so bad about asking for something rather than waiting to be asked?

9) Hotels can't always predict just when and how many of their guests will come down for breakfast - personally I always prefer it when they don't just stack up the buffet with everything at the start of service. I always think that it's far better to wait for it to be replenished and know it's fresh even if that means you have to wait a short while for it, than have it sat there in a bain marie drying out for ages.

10) The reception staff made an error, the bell boy was embarrassed because he realised there'd been a mistake. Yes, it must have be a shock but even if you'd hadn't been in the room, the bell boy would have realised the mistake as soon as he opened the door and saw that there were signs of the room being occupied. Where is the evidence that there was a problem with security in the hotel? Mistakes can happen and this one seems to have been rectified pretty quickly.

You say the holiday was ruined for you but it seems to me that what ruined it was that you allowed what you yourself say would normally be little things, to become problems out of all proportion - irritations perhaps but I can't work our what you wanted Portland to do. What sort of response would you have been happy with? When complaining you'll always stand a better chance of getting what you want if you actually state this. So it doesn't surprise me that Portland simply took this as a letter pointing out that the level of service you received wasn't what you expected. If you were looking for compensation you needed to both ask for it and also state what level of compensation you thought would be justified. But on the basis of what you write above I'm not sure what sort of a case you can make for compensation - possibly a refund on the seat upgrade if you didn't get exactly what was promised eg did the brochure actually state that there would be seatbck entertainment? But as for the rest I don't think you can expect anything more from a mass market tourist hotel even if it was a 5*. it's alwasy disappointing when a holiday doesn't live up to expectations but I can't help feeling that personally these expectations were too high of a mass market TO package. Incidentally, where was the holiday because a even a 5* hotel in a developing country is never going to be the same as a 5* in Europe or the USA.

SM
Hi jo1sexykitten, cool name BTW!

Sorry to hear you did not enjoy your holiday. All it takes is what is preceived to be a bad start and everything else afterwards becomes magnified. Really, hand on heart, was the whole holiday ruined by what you describe?

I work for a TO and I have to agree with previous posters, the reason you are getting fobbed off is because your complaints are just normal things can and do happen on holiday and completly unjustified in their opinion.
The only thing I can see where you have a legit grumble is the seat upgrade. You have to state what you want from them. Compensation? Apology?

SMa, you took the words right out of my mouth. Very well summed up. :cheers

Louise
Having previously worked for a tour operator - this letter smacks of the "general whinge" and a case of padding out the letter to find as many things to complain about as possible.

There is no breach of contract and a lot of the moans are just customer expectations.

Along with the rest of the posters, if I had received this letter I wouldn't have a clue what you were looking for or basically, what you really expected from your holiday. The tour operator isn't there to hold your hand or check you are having a good time every five minutes.

CwB
Please do noy be offended by the replies you receive. Members of HT have a great deal of experience and advice given is based on long experience of holidays throughout the world.

I personally must agree with the comments of the other posters.

Perhaps a more productive letter would have been to strip out the whinging " our holiday was ruined" and be a little more positive.

Yes many parts of your holiday were good - some were not. Highlight the good things and how much you enjoyed them and the negative points?

Phrase it is such a manner as to create an impression that they are areas that with a little attention would have made it memorable.

Put them on the spot - positive letters always get better results than a whine.

Concentrating your letter in that manner might have resulted in some sort of goodwill gesture - vouchers for example.

fwh
I agree with FWH, the problem with complaint letters is that sometimes we write them 'too soon' in the sense that letters of complaint done while you are still angry and want to get on your soap box are not necessarily the most productive.

I've done it myself, but having let off steam by writing it then re-read it and almost completely rewrite it to make it more objective. Letters that are too wordy will not be 'read', they need to be concise and to the point. Why not try writng again if you are after more than an apology for those areas that warrant it, but concentrate on key facts.

Good luck

Pam :)
I have read the post re portland with interest. I've come to the conclusion that OH and I are easily pleased :D I'm sure in everyone's holiday there is something you can gripe about but we really can't be bothered. As long as the room/towels/bedlinen are clean we are quite happy. We've been going abroad for over 25years and the one complaint I can remember making is in malta when we were ripped off on a half day tour, but I have to say our rep. was great, got our money back and all was well. We stayed in a thomson hotel in puerto soller and had a couple sharing our table who moaned the whole time. The woman even took a pear to reception to show to the manager as it had a small bruise on it!!!!!
It seems that some people also now take camcorders with them to record faults, get a life :que :que :que
The hotel that jo1sexykitten is referring to is ' riu ocho rios' and its on the carribean review page.

From the review it seems there were more good points then bad :que
Yes, I read the review too.They seemed quite happy with the hotel at that point......
sadly i have to agree with the other posts, i have been on some horrendous holidays included being gassed, kids rushed to hospital, another holiday son having an accident due to nail sticking out side of a hotel pool table, cockroaches in my room, given raw chicken on all inc a few times etc . so your complaints seem very trivial compared to what problems ive had on holidays in the past.

on a few occasions we have not had towels in our room etc and it wouldnt occur to me to complain about things like that or crumbs on my seat.

the only thing i would be upset about is someone walking into my room, so i can see that being annoying and worrying
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.