Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
Phil,
Unfortunately it seems that you had all of the various tricks pulled on you in one week! Of course not all-Egyptian traders will try to cheat you but certain elements seem to be the biggest offenders. Caleche drivers are notorious for trying to rip people off, the same is true of some taxi drivers. The best advice I can offer to other people is to make sure before you even get in, or allow them to take your luggage, is the price that you have agreed upon and what exactly that is for. Make very exaggerated gestures when referring to the rest of the people with you and say for example " Thirty pounds Egyptian, OK? Not English!" (Shaking your head) Then point to everyone and say "for everyone" (makes an embracing gesture with your hands) Make sure that you include your luggage in the transaction. As to where you are going, say something like: "Karnak temple, no alabaster shop, no camel market, no visit to your brothers shop, OK?" He will probably just laugh and think that you are as crafty as he is. The best way to deal with a shouting shopkeeper is to walk away or to attract the attention of the (blue/black uniformed) police. It is very unlikely that you will be physically threatened but should this happen, just hand over some money (as you would in the UK) then seek out the police as above and report it to them. I find the starving baby trick the most disturbing, I have wrestled with my conscience on a number of occasions, was it really a trick? Had I ignored a starving baby? The answer is no I didn't. I have now seen this particular trick quite a few times and she often has a different baby each night. It is best to be fore warned that these tricks do happen, but it should also be kept in perspective. Not everyone in Egypt is trying to rip you off, some will, but most will not. Like everyone else they are just trying to earn a living. :D
Tez
I agree with all that Tez has said. Unfortunately the tricksters seem to be able to sniff out the 'first-time' visitors, which is probably why you were caught by the lot in one week! Of course theyalso all ask 'How many times here?' As soon as you say' First time', you're easy pickings! Hope this didn't spoil your holiday too much. Next time, you will know what to look out for!
Another trick for others to be aware of is the 'letter' scam where a guy will stop you & ask you to read a letter for him from his English friend or even to pen a reply for him. This is merely to get you into his shop/cafe etc to part with your money! These are all mere irritations though & should not put anyone off visiting this wonderful place with all the history it has to offer.
I once had a very interesting experience in Cairo when I foolishly allowed myself to be taken to a shop to purchase a special camera battery that I needed. The shop turned out to be a family friend of my 'guide' who happened to own a leather shop. As I sat there feeling very uncomfortable with the owner talking to my guide in Arabic whilst plying my wife and myself with free gifts "because we were his special friends". I have to say that there was nothing sinister about it, just the feeling that as 'my new friend' had been so generous to my wife and I, the least I could do was to buy something overly expensive from his shop. Try to imagine that a very good friend of yours has just given you a free gift and you say "Oh how lovely " Your friend now says to you, "well as you like it so much you can buy this one as well and it will only cost you £50 ". How would you feel? Pretty well obliged to buy it no doubt rather than offend your friend. That is the way that the free gift in the shop works, having accepted the freebies you will feel obliged to buy something else that you will have to pay for. The only difference is that as he is 'your friend' you are not inclined to haggle with him over the price.
It was about now that I was thinking of a subtle way of extricating myself from the situation. So when the conversation turned to what my job was in the UK, I said 'policeman' and that my opposite number in the Cairo fraud squad had arranged an exchange visit to Egypt for us both. We very soon found ourselves politely shown the door as my new friend had urgent business to attend to. Strangely enough my 'guide' also disappeared. I had to ask a real policeman to show us the way back to our hotel! :oops: We all live and learn. :roll:
Tez

Briar, why is F.R.A.U.D. filled in with ***** ?
Well, I was a first timer to Egypt, but not exactly unprepared as to what to expect, just didn't realise it would be so bad. Right from the minute you step off the plane and the men read your flight tags and pretend to work for the travel agents, grab the suitcases then demand a tip, up till you're back on the plane going home.
I think Egypt is a very interesting place, I'm very glad we went, but I don't think it's for us. Back to Turkey in September.
Phil, sorry that Egypt did not suit you but look at it this way. If you do go again you will know all the tricks and like the rest of us treat it as a challenge.
Tez.

Thanks Briar. I also had trouble with: S.C.A.M. & C.O.N. when posting an earlier reply.
I agree with what you say. I live in Luxor & it does happen. However, please don't let this post worry you. If you take a caleche or taxi agree a price before to you get in & make it clear that will be your final price. If you have a problem in any shops as BigPhil had then just 'threaten' & I mean only 'threaten' to call the tourist police. The shopkeeper WILL back down & apologise. Do not use a caleche if the driver says, 'Big market today, one day only', there is no special market just the one in Old Market St & it's open all day till 11 or 12 p.m.
My advice is just to be very assertive, let people know that the price you agree is final & that you will not be hassled about it later. It's true, wages are very poor here, & the life is not easy for the local people. So be polite but as I say assertive & I'm sure you will enjoy & not feel threatened in any way. I'm from the UK & I feel safer here than I have ever done back home. Happy holidays to anyone travelling here.
i felt a bit upset when i read the original post, we have been to luxor twice and have enjoyed ourselves very much both times.

we did get hassle, but it all seemed quite light hearted to be honest and not sinister as the OP seemed to have felt. we did get invited into shops to chat but we weren't locked in and rarely bought things. we sat and chatted and drank mint tea or coke with the shopkeeper and friends and learnt a great deal about Egyptian life.

one thing that might of helped us though is that we were two couples and so felt very comfortable in these situations.

please don't be put off by these experiences, after all some of the beggars and charity muggers in the UK can be just as menacing!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.