Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
no its not hard the phone can be unlocked to any network then all you need to do is register it with turkcell or telesim etc with the sim card
Turkish sim cards cost 15 lira last year I also got 15 lira of calls and you have to register them with the service provider, Tip, get a Turkish waiter to do it for you.
You will need a passport and then you can buy your sim. The sim needs to be topped up every 3 months or it will "park" after 6 months no top up it will cease. Your uk phone will be good for a month but will need registering in Mugla to work after this time. If a turkish waiter does it for you , it will be in his name and you could have problems later if some thing goes wrong.
Thanks everyone. Sorry to be so thick but if the phone is unlocked over here does that mean it would work with a Turkish sim when it gets over there? :que
chelsea boy the problem will be all his as its registered in his name not mine, He keeps the phone all the time when im not in Turkey, I just leave him 15 lira in October to top up with.
we did this last year for our 3 weeks holiday and after about 16 days i couldnt use the turkish simm card any more even though i hadnt used all the credit up and i had handed in my passport etc to get it registered. i didnt go to mugla though, maybe if i had done this before 2 weeks it would have been ok who knows, but i didnt know you had to do this
Hi Ellie,

When you buy a SIM card you are only registering that number (that's why you need your passport) - but you're not registering your actual phone. You need to do that in Aydin otherwise the phone itself will become blocked and no Turkish SIM card will work.

If you're only using the phone to receive calls from the UK, and to make the odd call home, then it would be easier to just buy a cheap phone in Turkey. A SIM card is only about 20lira and if it expires you can just a buy a new one next time you're over there.

Strawberry
What is the best and cheapest way to make a call from my mobile to the uk and also sending text, should i get an international sim and if so which one, there seems loads to choose from. Im with o2 and to ring home its cost me £1.37 per min and to receive a call its 99p per min and to send a text its 30p.
not sure julie...but, im with orange and to make calls from my phone in turkey it costs £1.30 per min, to receive a call it costs 70p per min, to send a text is 40p, and free to receive... its mad to think there can be such a huge difference in network prices!
i came home to a huge phone bill last year, so not really sure what im going to do yet this year... might just get a phone card and use the public phones, seems a lot less confusing i think! :think

clare x
My mate simply buys a Turkish sim card whenever she goes, last time we just went in to the shop, the guy put the sim card in, showed us the credit on it and wrote down the number. No passport required.
hey,you can buy turkısh sım very easıly but ıt wıll be blocked after a week......they obvıously want people to but a turkısh phone! you can regıster but thıs can take between 2-4 weeks whıch ı have done as ım here for season.xxx
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.